11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release

I could be that someone, sorta. I found out about FW on a Lenovo forum while in the process of rage-quitting my 25-year ThinkPad habit. In addition to the general over the years slide of what ThinkPad once was, at that particular time a - wait for it - firmware debacle pushed me over the edge.

I too am looking forward to 3.19 and also, more importantly, to coreboot (I know that wait will be much longer).

3 Likes

Definitely a risky bet. The best fix right now is to follow the user-defined process for updating the bios and CSME. Folks had some success with updating both higher up in this thread

and maybe a few others even higher up. It’s nice that users can find these workarounds and that there’s an option, but it’s a massive risk. Otherwise, follow @Matt_Hartley 's guide which is the closest thing to official support that we’ve got

Definitely understand the frustration here. Friction points like this will definitely push folks to buy new boards, laptops, etc. Maybe they can’t support every board forever, but it’s only been 2.5-3 years… :grimacing:.

That being said, I don’t see them really “pumping out new models” so much as them trying to triage a messy launch for fw16, which was a big financial bet. Best case, both product stacks (13 and 16) stabilize and we can get a nice cadence of support and new board models. Worse case is this kind of support keeps up. Worst case is they go under. Then we won’t have any options :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

I’m curious, what do you guys actually want in your BIOS update?
My 11th gen is working perfectly fine, and I’m quite confused to be honest!

There’s no way you can call a mainboard “e-waste” because there hasn’t been a BIOS update in 7 months?

4 Likes

That was what they promised last year August with their dedicated teams at the 3rd party companies. Which also kind of admitted that for the first 1.5 years they had nothing in terms of support capable of handling multiple products. But so far we are not seeing the promised improvements. They announced a specific order following the backlog that had built up as well. This was not followed and not mentioned again.
Only FW knows if they are failing because the support teams are not big enough, because they do not feel the need to or because the team is not big enough to handle bug fixes for the new models that seem to have launched with more bugs then previous models. Even the latter does not sound promising to me, as that would mean that they are like 1 year behind in staffing their software support. And by the time they’d have increased the team again, they will have probably added even more products.

Btw, has anybody here considered or attempted to roll their own FWUpd capsule update? It might be possible to just write the metadata and execute all but the ME update with FWUpd. Because that is what FW is doing under Windows and was exactly what they used previously for the updates that shipped via LVFS.
I went a bit over my theories for that in the 12th gen 3.08 beta thread. But I am running Windows and already updated. To me, it looks like updating only the ME firmware with the Windows cmd tool or EFI installer should be easier than having enough of a Windows installation to handle all the capsule updates as well.

Hey @Shiroudan , good question. For me, it’s compatibility with the larger battery! When my current battery eventually fails, I have the larger battery on hand to replace it. Since I run through full charge cycles every day, and it’s being going for about 3 years now, that could be relatively soon. Other folks want other things from continuous bios support, though.

3 Likes

The promised battery support and fixes to a lot of security problems (including LogoFail).

3 Likes

I’m not aware of any fixes coming in 3.19, but I’m hoping that some BIOS update modifies whatever USB-PD negotiation thing intermittently screws up the connection between my Framework 13 and LG monitor. I don’t know if that’s a BIOS thing, even.

so yes, as it was mentioned Logo Fail and Battery improvements fixes…

But what does future updates look like… if Insyde is reluctant or non-supportive of creating OS agnostic update tools… what does the future of support for Linux look like… Will i also need to boot into window to get 3.20 if an update were ever to be released?

Unfortunately… i am not going to be taking that gamble any more with framework hardware… and will focus on vendors that have some sort of compatibility ceritifcation.

Also… Framework please remove “Coming soon” from the bios page… i believe that “soon” boat has sailed…

1 Like

I bought a 61wh battery for my 11th gen last year and haven’t been able to get any use from it because I haven’t made time to update via a windows USB. Hoping to see Linux update support soon

3 Likes

Insyde’s UEFI stuff is pretty widely used by laptop and PC vendors, who are all subject to the same limitations and restrictions that Framework is, so I don’t really think its fair to blame FW for issues outside their control.

hi @rstat1, FW formed partnerships and chose priorities…FW has even stated int he past that they chose to work on different priorities at the time…

I really do hope in a fully repairable and upgrade-able laptop… its a great vision… but the execution is sloppy… it saddens me that they touted them self and being linux friendly… took our money then a year and half later tell us to use windows to get a bios update…
there has been no update from the company in months… and @Matt_Hartley hasn’t even commented on this since last year…

so do i think my past comments is “fair”, indeed i do…

1 Like

If you want a Linux updater, I packaged it up. while I understand that @Matt_Hartley may not be able to officially comment after the ARS article etc, and I do generally agree that “soon” doesn’t apply as it’s been more than 6 months,

jared@jareds-laptop:~/11th_Framework_3.19$ sudo ./FWUpdLcl -fwver
sudo: unable to resolve host jareds-laptop: Name or service not known
Intel (R) FW Update Version: 15.0.35.1951
Copyright (C) 2005 - 2021, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

FW Version: 15.0.42.2235

https://puck.nether.net/~jared/Framework_Intel_BIOS.3.19.zip was posted above but I have used it and am posting from that device now.

3 Likes

For what it is worth, if you have a spare M.2 drive (I presume SATA will also work, not only NVME) and a Ventoy key, you can quickly follow the “Install Windows” route. I just did it, it took me 30 minutes in total, and now I am back on Linux.

1 Like

Hey everyone, cross-posting this update here as well as it applies to both the 11th and 12th generation Intel platforms.

7 Likes

I have a question, anyone else having all of the issues with the 11gen system? I’ll elaborate, I used to have the unplugged vampire battery drain (when actually powered off)… That was actually fixed when they release I want to say was it 3.11? Can’t remember exactly, anyways that was great, So I was on that version didn’t have any problems, I upgraded to 3.17, battery drain was still fixed at that time, after a few months, my power button stopped working, to turn the laptop on at all it had to be plugged in, framework knew of the issue and released 3.19 to fix that, I upgraded to that a while back, but when I did, the battery drain came back, and I also no longer can use any of my USB ports, the only time I can, is when I do a full bios disconnect/reset, then they work once, after shutting down, they stop working again, I think re-flashing the bios also makes them work again as well, but only for the one time, anyone else having those issues?

I dual boot Windows 11 and Fedora, always did the bios upgrade from the Windows side, the issues do effect both OS’s

Sounds like you may need to replace the RTC battery. If you reach out to Support and they determine that to be the case, they will send you a new one for free. Be careful when you replace it, as the holder is very fragile.

Agree, sounds like an RTC battery. Support replaced by RTC battery outside of warranty at no cost to me.

3 Likes

Are there manual steps needed to upgrade the CSME version?

I upgraded to 3.19 using the .exe on a Win 11 install, but interestingly when booted into Linux and running fwupdmgr security, it seems like I don’t have the CSME from 3.19 but the one from all the way back in 3.06.

$ fwupdmgr security
Host Security ID: HSI:0! (v1.9.16)

HSI-1
✔ BIOS firmware updates:         Enabled
✔ MEI key manifest:              Valid
✔ csme manufacturing mode:       Locked
✔ csme override:                 Locked
✔ Platform debugging:            Disabled
✔ SPI write:                     Disabled
✔ SPI lock:                      Enabled
✔ SPI BIOS region:               Locked
✔ Supported CPU:                 Valid
✔ TPM empty PCRs:                Valid
✔ TPM v2.0:                      Found
✔ UEFI bootservice variables:    Locked
✔ UEFI platform key:             Valid
✔ UEFI secure boot:              Enabled
✘ csme v0:15.0.23.1706:          Invalid

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Shouldn’t be. But you can extract the contents of the Windows updater and run the ME Updater manually from the commandline: fwupdlcl.exe is the updater. -fwver reads the currently installed version. -f FWUpdate.bin will run the update if it is not up-to-date already. The installer for 12th gen does nothing else but running it (just with the addition of another argument that forces to update even if the version is already installed).
If there are error messages, it should report them as well, just as there should have been the cmd-window visible when it tried to do it automatically (although the window might close too fast in case of an error to read the message).

1 Like

Interesting that it got missed when I installed the .exe package, but I managed to get it updated - thanks!

Up to HSI:3! now, which I guess is the highest that the 11th Gen FW will get without the vPro CPU that allows for encrypted RAM.

$ fwupdmgr security
Host Security ID: HSI:3! (v1.9.16)

HSI-1
✔ BIOS firmware updates:         Enabled
✔ MEI key manifest:              Valid
✔ csme manufacturing mode:       Locked
✔ csme override:                 Locked
✔ csme v0:15.0.42.2235:          Valid
✔ Platform debugging:            Disabled
✔ SPI write:                     Disabled
✔ SPI lock:                      Enabled
✔ SPI BIOS region:               Locked