11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release

Sounds like you may need to replace the RTC battery. If you reach out to Support and they determine that to be the case, they will send you a new one for free. Be careful when you replace it, as the holder is very fragile.

Agree, sounds like an RTC battery. Support replaced by RTC battery outside of warranty at no cost to me.

3 Likes

Are there manual steps needed to upgrade the CSME version?

I upgraded to 3.19 using the .exe on a Win 11 install, but interestingly when booted into Linux and running fwupdmgr security, it seems like I don’t have the CSME from 3.19 but the one from all the way back in 3.06.

$ fwupdmgr security
Host Security ID: HSI:0! (v1.9.16)

HSI-1
✔ BIOS firmware updates:         Enabled
✔ MEI key manifest:              Valid
✔ csme manufacturing mode:       Locked
✔ csme override:                 Locked
✔ Platform debugging:            Disabled
✔ SPI write:                     Disabled
✔ SPI lock:                      Enabled
✔ SPI BIOS region:               Locked
✔ Supported CPU:                 Valid
✔ TPM empty PCRs:                Valid
✔ TPM v2.0:                      Found
✔ UEFI bootservice variables:    Locked
✔ UEFI platform key:             Valid
✔ UEFI secure boot:              Enabled
✘ csme v0:15.0.23.1706:          Invalid

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Shouldn’t be. But you can extract the contents of the Windows updater and run the ME Updater manually from the commandline: fwupdlcl.exe is the updater. -fwver reads the currently installed version. -f FWUpdate.bin will run the update if it is not up-to-date already. The installer for 12th gen does nothing else but running it (just with the addition of another argument that forces to update even if the version is already installed).
If there are error messages, it should report them as well, just as there should have been the cmd-window visible when it tried to do it automatically (although the window might close too fast in case of an error to read the message).

1 Like

Interesting that it got missed when I installed the .exe package, but I managed to get it updated - thanks!

Up to HSI:3! now, which I guess is the highest that the 11th Gen FW will get without the vPro CPU that allows for encrypted RAM.

$ fwupdmgr security
Host Security ID: HSI:3! (v1.9.16)

HSI-1
✔ BIOS firmware updates:         Enabled
✔ MEI key manifest:              Valid
✔ csme manufacturing mode:       Locked
✔ csme override:                 Locked
✔ csme v0:15.0.42.2235:          Valid
✔ Platform debugging:            Disabled
✔ SPI write:                     Disabled
✔ SPI lock:                      Enabled
✔ SPI BIOS region:               Locked
✔ Supported CPU:                 Valid
✔ TPM empty PCRs:                Valid
✔ TPM v2.0:                      Found
✔ UEFI bootservice variables:    Locked
✔ UEFI platform key:             Valid
✔ UEFI secure boot:              Enabled
1 Like

We were able to update the EFI updater for this version, and are releasing it here as an alpha release.

Framework_Laptop_13_11th_Gen_Intel_Core_3.19_EFI_c.zip

SHA256
1f9976892d3239af31c5d2a4c66632b119cc6a8224ad6db5b25f99c249681281

This version moves to a new updater, similar to what we are alpha testing on 12th gen, with fixes we learned from the 12th gen alpha.

This should address the previous issues users reported on the previous EFI update, and also enables secure boot signed executables. So you do not have to disable secure boot when you run this update.

If users do not report issues from this update, we will continue to move the EFI update to Beta->Stable with the target of reaching a stable release early next week.

Thanks for your patience!

20 Likes

Appreciate this @Kieran_Levin thank you for all that you and your team do

3 Likes

Worked without any apparent issues here on a batch 4 11th gen FW13 running Fedora 40.

I formatted a USB stick using the GNOME Disks UI utility. I first deleted all previous partitions and then Selected FAT as the filesystem to format, all in the UI. Note here that this is now on the whole drive, no partitions. Mounted the new filesystem and unzipped the contents to its root directory. Then unmounted, safe-powered off the USB stick (udisksctl power-off --block-device /dev/sda), unplugged and plugged the USB stick to the 11th gen laptop, powered it on and hit F12 to get the boot menu. Selected the USB stick, saw the various messages from the firmware updater, and a few minutes later the machine rebooted with the BIOS and EC controller updated. GNOME security settings also seems happy now with Intel CSME.

As usual the BIOS settings I had changed reset back to defaults: Battery charge limit and boot delay.

1 Like

Hooray! Thanks framework team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! It’s works on my Batch 9 / i5.
Just a little bit scared, the fan was very loud, the green progress bar after reached the 100% go back one step behind ( ~95% ), then reboot without notice.
All seems good from my side for this alpha.

1 Like

Here’s another “success” reply.
Upgraded bios from 3.17 to 3.19.
Upgraded csme from v0:15.0.23.1706 to v0:15.0.42.2235.

1 Like

Hello, thanks so much for this update. As the Intel CSME vulnerability tool reports anything prior to 15.0.45.x would it be possible to get the CSME version updated as that is from the Intel June 2023 version of the tool.

I would expect that you or Insyde can get it directly from Intel for this device.

jared@jareds-laptop:~/Downloads$ cat /sys/class/mei/mei0/fw_ver 
0:15.0.42.2235

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19392/28632/intel-converged-security-and-management-engine-version-detection-tool-intel-csmevdt.html?v=t

Thanks for the hard work, looking forward to the next update :slight_smile:

y’all you can unzip this to the EFI system partition and boot into the EFI shell directly from the bios right. No need to create anything. It’s a native EFI blob - just run it from the EFI shell

Yes! We are currently working on a 3.20 release which will update the CSME to 15.0.47.2473. This should be ready to be released for community beta in the next month.

11 Likes

I updated the top post to indicate that we have moved the 3.19 EFI updater to beta.

8 Likes

Any chance of getting the fix to re-enable the wifi 6 bands with the ax210 on 11th gen intel into the upcoming release?

3 Likes

Seriously. The 11th gen has been such a dud. No 6E bands, CMOS battery drain and—on my device, at least—an infuriatingly finicky trackpad. Would be nice to check at least one issue off that list.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that at all, although I can understand if you feel that way. Both of mine have been stellar. For my use case, the CMOS battery drain was something that I easily was able to work around until I replaced the battery with the IC module. The trackpad has been solid on mine across several linux distros and occasional windows. The hinges on one were softer than I liked, so I replaced them with the 4kg ones which have been great. The other one is still on the original hinges. When I do finally upgrade the mainboard I will put the other one in a case and repurpose it as some sort of server.

It does have the 6ghz bands on windows, or if you swap out the intel card for the mediatek one.

I wish that yours had been better for you, but I have been very happy with mine.

1 Like

sorry for barging in, but are there more details about this? The community forum search is not forthcoming…

Barge away! On the 11th gen intel boards, the rechargeable RTC/CMOS battery only charges when the computer is plugged in. If it runs down enough times it no longer will take a charge, and the computer will need to be plugged in in order to boot, even if the main battery has a charge. In some cases the board can get into a state that requires a mainboard reset to resolve. For me, it was easy enough to set a charging limit and simply leave the machines plugged in at all times, therefore keeping the battery charged. I eventually replaced the RTC battery in each of the machines with the IC moduje that Framework offered - it did require soldering one wire to the main board.

More details here: RTC Battery Substitution on 11th Gen Intel® Core™ - Framework Guides and here: Rework Instructions for 11th Gen Mainboards to enable powering the RTC circuit from the main battery

4 Likes