11th gen main board not booting

I have been using a 11thgen mainboard in cooler master case for a while as a desktop. Everything worked fine until this morning I could not get the Framework to boot.

It flashes some colors an nothing is shown on the external display. I cannot share video here but the colors are Red, 3x Green, Red, 4x Green, Red, Orange, Blue, 4x Green.

I have reseated the RAM without succes, any help is welcome.

I also have reset the mainboard by following the steps to ‘Fully Resetting the Mainboard State’.

You’re missing some blinks here, there should be a white blink then 12 red or green ones, then an orange one and then 8 blue or green ones.

I assume the 3 red blinks you get are for the touchpad, internal battery and internal screen, so that should be okay. Make sure your screen works and maybe try connecting it on a different port on the mainboard.

I added the video to this bin “Filebin | wgusis7kc3ninknh” or this one “Watch 20240627_084308 | Streamable

I am not running a internal screen or battery since the mainboard is running in a CoolerMaster case.

It is hard to say, but if you reset the mainboard, then it is not in standalone mode anymore. To me it sounds like the board is posting, but you are just not getting a video out. Are you using the 1st gen HDMI expansion card by any chance?
Jonathan’s suggestion about using a different port is the best suggestion I can think of. I would try that.

1 Like

That blink sequence looks like W RGGGRGGGGRGG O BGGGGGGG which would indicate problems with the following items:

• battery (expected)
  • bad power boot core VR (!)
  • CPU reached S0 state (!)

So to me that looks like a problem with the CPU or its power supply and definitely a defect. You should talk to support about a replacement assuming you’re in warranty. Also check for physical damage on the board (like burn marks).

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

I am using a usbc to displayport cable to connect to my monitor. I have tried al combinations of ports for power and monitor. I am using the Framework charger.

I still have a HDMI expansion card in my Framework Laptop I could try.

Thanks for the help, I will contact support.

I got this mainboard as a replacement for another board where the TPM broke. So I hope this board has warranty.

Visually the board looks fine, no damage that I can see, and the fan spins when connected to power.

You might also want to check if you have the RTC battery problem of the 11th gen. A low/bad RTC can apparently crash the CPU in some cases and could be fixed by a battery replacement or that fake battery module that you need to solder). However I have no idea if that blink code would match with that problem. Hopefully support is able to help. You can request the battery or battery module even when out of warranty.

2 Likes

While I wait for support I would just buy another RTC battery to see if it fixes it.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

The flash codes, blink codes are on this thread:

I’ve had a similar problem on my 11th gen MB in a coolermaster- What worked for me was plugging in a keyboard and repeatedly hitting the F2 key (after pressing the power button) to get into BIOS, from there enabling standalone mode, then exiting which led to my boot menu. Unfortunately this is not a permanent fix, even after standalone is enabled the board will sometimes (I believe between unplugs) not seem to recognize the display/fully boot unless I hop into BIOS first.

Thanks for your advice,

I tried that before but I cannot get into BIOS. Neither by F2 or F12.

After the blinking error code the fan just speed ups for ±10sec and then stops. Then spins up again. Never showing anything on screen.

I don’t think it’s a display error because I use a LAN cable for internet and the lights never light up and my router doesn’t show it as connected.

Now in talks with support, just forwarded them the pictures and videos they requested.

When running standalone. I.e. without battery. I think there is a small cmos battery you can purchase on the Framework market, so that it can remember BIOS settings.

Note: that battery might only work with FW16

That battery is only for the Framework 16 (and possibly the newer Framework 13 models).

You need a plain ML 1220 battery (without cable), which you can purchase from battery/electronic stores, or you can request replacement batteries from support.