12th gen CPU speculation

The problem with power delivery is that the higher the wattage the more heat the MOSFET (transistors) will generate. To increase efficiency you can have a group of MOSFET in regulating power for a short amount of time (each), thus the large banks find on desktop GPUs and desktop motherboard. On a laptop this is obviously impossible and they would get uncomfortably hot

any news on the replaceable mainboard?

1 Like

Are there plans to have an upgrade path for 12th Gen CPUs. They CPU/interested graphics are quite the leap forward and would truly help my work flow. Any chance we will see this soon?

Everyone knows 12th gen is coming at some point but none of us know when and Framework hasnā€™t released a roadmap.

My Core 2 from 2009 is 2.9 GHz, while my 2021 Core i7 is 2.8 GHz.

The Core 2 has an idle clock of 1.6 GHz, and the Core i7 has an idle clock of 0.39 GHz.

The Core i7 has newer CPU extensions (e.x. SSE) that eliminate entire series of clock cycles for calculations that have already been solved, so the Core i7 is theoretically doing less work.

Biggest draw for the next upgrade cycle appears to be 120Hz and 144Hz refresh rates, adaptive for battery performance.

Outside of a desire for photo-realistic graphics, I think people are just caught up in the old cycles of upgrading every 3-4 years. And for those in the 3 year upgrade cycle, it also might justify the cost of buying an upgrade-able laptop if you actually upgrade it.

I have been disappointed with upgrades after my old 2009 Dell, which I never fully retired. It is currently running Windows 11 Home on a Solid Sate drive.

Itā€™s not an accident that I specified the last decade: Core2/core2duo CPUs were introduced between 2006 and 2009. The first generation Sandybridge included SSE-SSE4, AVX, and probably all of the cool features you described. In fact, at the time Sandy was seen as the single most signficant upgrade in Intelā€™s line, and influenced the next few generations, which is why it was so popular.

The Core2Duo (Nahalem), meanwhile, took a 30% performance slap in 2018 after the Spectre/meltdown exploits were published, as it was needed to mitigate the architectual issues discovered that enabled the exploit. Newer CPUs, from Westmere and on, were also hit, but not nearly as hard, taking roughly a 10% performance hit.

So I think we can agree that broadly speaking, clockspeed != performance; thereā€™s more to it, including instruction extensions. What Iā€™m saying is that, architecturally, there havenā€™t been enough adopted additions to make a significant difference for day-to-day computing.

Beyond that, there was little reason to upgrade until Ryzen shook things up and dumped a pile of cores into their processors. Intel needed to develop an answer and, as a result, we got some cool stuff, but look at any reviewer between the 9K and 10K Intel period, and youā€™ll see frustration as Intel couldnā€™t build an answer to it.

Iā€™d like to see what efficiency cores can do, but for a laptop that was, at the time this was new, about six months old, itā€™s going to be a harder sell. It also takes engineering effort, which is an additional expense.

If FW skipped a generation, I donā€™t thing the majority buying customers would necessarily mind; Iā€™d probably be a little upset if I learned that a computer Iā€™d just purchased was out of date by the manufacturer within a month, and there was no path for a discount. Meanwhile FW presumably has hardware stock to clear, and balancing that with engineering effort, sales cadence, and customer expectations, it wouldnā€™t surprise me if they skipped a generation (remember, too, that there were people clamoring for a Ryzen 5K solution merely weeks before 12th dropped).

I stand by my crazy theory that they will sooner have an ARM-USBC option before a 12th gen solution, and weā€™re more likely to get a 13th gen/Ryzen 6K before we ever see 12th. With any luck itā€™ll come with a new upper casing featuring the much-anticipated Fn lock indicator.

4 Likes

Unless there been any changes for Windows 10 for 12th gen for the cores to be handled properly. Iā€™ll happily skip 12th gen and switch to something that doesnā€™t require Windows 11.

Not too worried about the next couple of gens really. Iā€™m fine for a few years then Iā€™ll pick up one of you early adopter ā€˜must have the latestā€™ guys later boards on Ebay for a good deal.

IT IS HERE~ IT IS HERE!

Of course, this page is just for my ā€œpreferred choiceā€. Other choices are also available.

It takes both DDR5 and DDR4 (also LP versions). Hm.

The main difference between the P and U series (and what I think is important) is that a U series have half the amount of P cores (than a P series), which means it will struggle under workloads unless it turbos. What I see in P series is the availability of much more performance at more efficient lower clocks, and generally more when it turbos, which it seldomly needs to.
One of the problems, of course, is that the P core will use more power at idle compares to the U core, which personally is a worthwhile drawback. And the fact that the Framework thermal solution is 28W.

1 Like

Iā€™m with this. ā€œItā€ isnā€™t ā€œhereā€. ā€œItā€ is someoneā€™s preferred launched Intel CPU.

2 Likes

Well, the past 5 years months sort of felt like 5 years.

At least, now that it is officially launched, Framework should be able to get their hands on the datasheet and start drafting motherboard PCBs and writing BIOS.

First things first.
Lets get the 11th gen laptops EU wide and preferably to Australia first.
Before we worry about 12th get and Win 11 advertising spyware.

1 Like

Yes, because that would actually be an extremely interesting proposition with incredible battery life/efficiency gains compared to a bump in benchmarks that a generation upgrade would provide.

1 Like

With the 12th gen mobile processors coming out, will Framework be offering new motherboards to replace the 11th gen this year (2022)? U

Congrats on your first post, Here is a few already existing topics to get you started on that question:

12th gen CPU speculation - Framework Laptop - Framework Community

Intel 12th gen cpu and DDR5 in the future? - Framework Laptop - Framework Community

Intel 12th gen CPUā€™s anyone? - Framework Laptop - Framework Community

to be fair. I think I will prefer having DDR4 over DDR5 because ā€¦ well, to begin with I already spent $80 on my RAM and while they can be fancy adornment I much prefer to have them put to use.
I am not sure what significant connection differences the two differ. I am hoping that we can choose (a version of mainboard) with a specific type of RAM (sockets)

I am guessing that nothing will be interchangeable since DDR5 if I did not remember wrong moved the RAM power supplies to the RAM itself rather than keeping it on the mainboard. This can mean a cheaper (and less cramped) mainboard but probably means way more expensive RAM

Wait what the ****

How ā€¦ does it only cost $117 apiece
and it have no socket either.
aaa. It do cheap out on the memory controller (with no ddr4 support)

Can a moderator merge all these topics? Would help anyone trying to follow along

1 Like

Hi, does any of you know when may Framework change its base unit to intel 12th gen CPU? and incorporate DDR5? Will it be doable before the 3rd quarter of 2022? I want a framework laptop but am hesitating on if I should buy it now or wait for a few more months.

2 Likes

Not in the near future most likely, theyā€™re currently working on streamlining production for the current model which may take some time. We may see upgrades in the future.

That is a bummer, since it will be hella cool to go 12th gen + ddr5 + 4080 egpu next year.