15” laptop

Yet another +1 for the 15" monitor. My wishlist:

• Numpad as an option. The keyboard is modular, so it doesn’t need to be the same for everyone.
  • at least 8 ports in total, including one for Ethernet
  • I don’t really care that much for a GPU, I want to have a dual-boot between Windows and Ubuntu, and Ubuntu tends to have issues with GPUs.
  • It should be possible to have the speaker and mic jacks next to each other, the current model seems to have only 1.
2 Likes

No space. 6 can have space. 8, no space.
Why would you need 8, btw? What’s your use-case or edge use-case?

Any expansion card can be ethernet. Why mentioning that way?

You can buy a splitter, if you want. I got one for (equivalent) 5$ only.

1 Like

Most headsets you find (e.g. for smartphones and so) on have a combined plug, so I’m very happy that I can also use these for the Framework laptop. Computers with two separate plus were always annoying for me and are probably more for pro-audio people who want to connect speakers and a standalone microphone. But in that case, you probably also want to have a good external soundcard/amplifier.

1 Like

Waiting for the 15"

those few extra lines in VS-Code and a couple of extra tracks in Premiere Pro just make it so much more productive!!! Pretty sure a few more watt-hours of battery can be fixed into it too…

Also maybe a high(er?) core count AMD processer option to go with it?

Hello? It’s a new year …
Do Framework have some official teasers? Upcoming events/info?
Even if it’s just boring strategic meetings talking about what the next ceramic capacitor supplier would be.

I will assume you are working on implementing Intel’s 12th gen onto the platform. Wonderful.

1 Like

Wen 15"? :joy:

TBH, I don’t want/need anything other than a bigger version of the current laptop. Keyboard can stay. Ports, fine. Everything. All I want is a bigger screen. I don’t use a laptop on a desk most of the time… it’s on my lap, literally. Too small a system just gets me feeling claustrophobic.

All I ask is for real touchpad buttons to be an option.

I suspect most people use mice with laptops at a desk… but I’m a native touchpad user. Even with a mouse next to the laptop, I use the touchpad first, unless it’s a clickpad. Touchpads need buttons. Nothing more frustrating than laying the cursor on top of an “OK” button, pressing down, and the cursor slides out of the “OK” button, clicks, slides back. Repeatedly. :persevere: F*ck clickpads. GIVE US BUTTONS PLEASE!

But even without buttons, just a 15" model. Please. I need a new laptop. My T540p is inching ever closer to 10 years old every day. :joy: (and I hate its touchpad too - came from a Dell Latitude 5580 - a 7th gen i7 with I bought because it had touchpad buttons - that fried)

2 Likes

I used the trackpad on the Dell for quite some time (and a lot worse ones on some really cheap laptops *cough* Lenovo *cough*. I don’t have much to complain with.

I also don’t really use them on my lap. I tend to have a solid place to put them. So I guess that’s where things like TrackPoint and a buttoned trackpad would come in handy.

I got to sit down (well, rather, stand up) with a Framework today. Briefly tested its touchpad with MSPaint - not to draw, but just as a functional test-pad. Was pleasantly surprised, it didn’t miss (or misfire) a click-drag or mishandle a click-push like my T540p (as I’m on now) is plagued with. The size is okay as well - it measures the same length as my T540p, but shrunk in width. I like that - I’ve long missed the square aspect ratios of years past.

Might just be sold on it. Just a bit of FOMO at this point with the fairly revolutionary improvements between AMD with Ryzen, and Intel fighting back with the 12th gen. The 11th gen (as it is today) is still Intel’s old playbook, so I would really love my next long-lasting PC to be on board with the current gen - either a recent Ryzen or a 12th gen Intel.

But at this point, I may just be convinced to let go of the 15" and touchpad buttons and go for it. Maybe in a month or if I run into a show-stopper with my current one :wink:

2 Likes

Hi frameworkers,
I am really hopping for a 15" or 16" laptop. Same resolution. Same computer but bigger screen.
I ll wait until then to move to the framework laptop. WOuld be good this year…since I really need something more power full for visioconference + Klaxoon

1 Like

Yes please! Would buy it instantly. I’m so fed up with the Fn chords instead of home/end/pgup/pgdn

2 Likes

yes. Nothing really happened between 7th gen and 9th gen
6th gen get to 14nm and some architecture tweaks
10th gen introduced “much better onboard graphics”
12th gen introduced “mixed P & E cores”, and as seen in the LTT’s review of a 12th gen unit, while not absolutely creaming the competition, is a major leap forward
Hopefully implementers will be able to do a good job and not let anyone down because, well, the expectation is very high.

1 Like

I love the idea of your company and product, but as a software engineer a 13" laptop is nearly useless to me, though I could see buying the DIY kits for my kids in like 5 years. If you make something 15" or larger I would buy one immediately. 17" would be awesome if it wasn’t a tank.

Gotta say, I got my hands on a Framework a week or so ago, and I compared it with my T540p (15") by simply setting it on top of it. It was the same depth, narrower (because it’s no longer widescreen - a huge bonus to me) and it felt comfortable. That’s when I decided, what the heck, I can live with this. Being a square (ish) screen makes it deceptive in the screen size department. Widescreen models made it possible to make numbers bigger without actually adding any usable space. So, going back to square, I think, makes 13" seem smaller than it is.

Might want to try getting your hands on one in person like I did (had a friend that bought one before I did), and see how you like it. You may be surprised :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Widescreen allows you to put two things side by side. Say, two PDF or a PDF and a CAD. Or a document and a coding session
Yes. a taller display will allow you to fit more code in one screen, but who cares when you literally need to horizontal pan to see the end of line or your menu bar have half of the tabs disappear because it’s not wide enough
Although, in the defense, even a 9:16 screen isn’t enough to run Siemens NX on half of the screen, but this is a 1366x768 screen. a 1080 will be able to fit that menu bar.

Bit late, but here’s an answer to why PC’s have 2 ports.

It’s got nothing to do with Pro Audio. It’s more a legacy thing from the old days. Also that allows stereo microphones.

Not exactly. Usable real estate (which is more a function of pixels) allows you to put two things side by side. 1920 is great for that. 1600, not so much. 2256 isn’t “better than 1920” it’s a resolution and DPI combination that is only usable with 1.5x scaling, making it equivalent to 1504… which, yeah, isn’t good for side-by-side content.

Admittedly, you then run into the problem that 3840×2560 a) really is awfully tiny at 13", and b) no such panels exist. But a 15" 3840×2560 (or even 1920×1280) screen would easily give you the same side-by-side advantages plus more height, which is useful in many applications.

The 3:2 aspect ratio isn’t the problem.

2 Likes

The reason I mention “side by side” is because most apps want to be more horizontal than vertical
So by putting them side by side on a 16:9 screen, each app take up half, resulting in a “app specific” ratio of 8:9. Not bad.
Whereas on a 3:2 screen it will be an awful 1.5:2.

a 3:2 screen due to its height (to width ratio) will be able to display more text, which is helpful for coding/writing sessions. However most other tasks (including development/modeling/editing suites) prefers a 16:9 (or even wider) screen so to fit side panels, menu bars, consoles and stats, allocating a mostly 4:3 area for graphical content, 3D views, video footages, or large sections of excel.

This even applies to Discord. Unless you hide the side channel bar, you get very little reading space for the actual chat, even on a 16:9. Although for true multitask, one would prop up an external display to solve all screen realestate issues.

Thus for the (roughly) same amount of pixels, arranging them in a 16:9 fashion is more effective because it is suitable for a wider array of workload.

2 Likes

i think framework might come up with two screen shields that can cover the space for the 16:9 ratio or the 3:2 ratio and put it in the market place

1 Like

That would mean that either option will result in absolute elephant sized “bezels”. We don’t really need anything like that – we can always configure through the intel display config panel.

This choice will be significant as it will basically define the overall dimensions of the laptop (since foldable laptop panels dont exist yet)

1 Like

I really doubt a larger device would be a 3:2 display.
If anything a 16:10 screen is probably far better use of space for a wider device than 16:9.

I have a 4k 15.6" laptop for work, with 200% scaling it works out to the exact same size as 1080p. Because the screen is too small to comfortably read at higher resolutions.

2 Likes