2nd Gen Hinge Comparison Video

The 1st Gen hinges are [3.3Kg] and range from 2.8Kg to 3.8Kg quite a range
The 2nd Gen hinges are [4Kg] and range from 3.5Kg to 4.5Kg

So there will be case where the 1stG can be stiffer than the 2ndG, excluding those that are actually beyond design tolerance, which can happen

So you can’t tell what yours are unless you do a test and how would you do that ??

Trains are fine with 1st Gen that I use, buses I’d go for 2nd Gen

It also really depends on the “resonance”. If the lid is swinging back and forth, that gives it additional momentum to overcome the hinge. So a tighter hinge can work to prevent this, but less resonance can also reduce the need for a tighter hinge.
The resonance depends on the frequency of those swings. If the small bumps (which, each by themselves would not move the hinge) have the right interval the lid will resonate more, otherwise not.

Also, yes the tolerances FW gave seem quite large. Though I have access to 2 FW13. Both shipped with Gen 1 hinges. Batch 1 and Batch 5 respectively. And I upgraded both to Gen 2 hinges I bought at the same time. And all hinges seemed to match (the Gen 1’s between each other), the Gen 2’s and the Gen2’s were also easily tighter than the Gen1’s. So at the least it is not a huge, hinge-to-hinge variance. But there still might be entire production runs that should not be sold as that. Only testing would tell.

Edit: for clarification: I am referencing 12th gen FW13 with my Batch numbers.

1 Like