3 things that combined, would maximize battery life, and performance

Before I tell you my idea, I want to clarify some things. This is IN NO WAY intending to imply: One, that I am creating this myself, and two, that I am the absolute most knowledgeable in this regard. I am simply suggesting features that I would like to see in some future products or revisions of the framework laptop (both 13 and 16). With that out of the way, here is my idea! So, one of the biggest things preventing laptops from outclassing desktops is the performance. A laptop chip simply isn’t as powerful as it’s desktop counter-part. However, there are three things that when combined, could solve this issue. To get the extra performance, use desktop chips instead of mobile chips. To meet these chips’ cooling requirments, replace the existing coolers with Frore’s air jets. And finally, to ensure that battery life is still any good, framework could use graphene batteries, which has extended battery life. Granted, these changes are probably a ways off, but I think it still could be done. Especially since these changes would not break the framework laptop’s compatibility. That is my idea for some new features that framework could implement. If you have anything to add, let me know! Just know that I will probably take a long time to respond. Thanks!

Frores airjets really aren’t much better than standard fans in terms of watts cooled/area! Would be cool to see them hopefully outpace legacy solutions in the future though.
Sadly, there is also a 100wH hard limit for batteries even if graphite batteries actually existed at the densities and capacities needed.
Would definitely be a goal for the future though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I honestly had no idea that the air jets were like that. However, while they may not add any cooling benefits, they are a lot quieter. So perhaps at the very least the air jets should be introduced. Thanks for the response. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, there are many ways to convert software to work on other CPU architectures, so maybe the solution down the road would be to use RISC-V chips with the capabilities of current chips. RISC-V consumes less power, and requires less cooling, and yet, could still perform like our current desktop chips. I do firmly believe that one day, everything will be using RISC-V, and when it happens, numbers will go up.

According to Frore, each Airjet Pro can dissipate 8.75 W of net heat from a 85 C surface in 25 C ambient. Framework Laptop 16 consumes around 145 W with both the CPU and GPU running, meaning 17 Airjet Pros will be required to cool the device. There is simply no space for 17 Airjet Pros in the Framework Laptop 16, especially considering each Airjet Pro must either be mounted right over the CPU or over a vapor chamber.

6 Likes

From what I remember from the Frore air jets they benefit extremely thin devices because they have extremely high static pressure so they can pull air in to tight spaces and they are quieter but, as mentioned elsewhere, their cooling capacity is similar to fans. Additionally, and I do not know how much of an issue it is, they have a paper filter on the intake to prevent any dust from getting into the cooling chamber so I don’t know how often you have to clean that, how delicate it is, or anything else. With a typical laptop you can get some canned/compressed air and blast out the vents/fins and be good to go for the most part.

Give them a few generations of advancement and refinement as well as getting the manufacturing process down and they will probably be a perfectly fine and viable option. Until then, from an emphasis on maintenance and easily replaceable repair, fans seem like the way to go.

3 Likes

This is the main point a lot of people should probably hear.

Right now they got a neat tech demo.

1 Like

Desktop chips dramatically increase heat output and power consumption.

Some desktop chips are essentially mobile chips tuned for higher power, however many mobile chips (ex. The 7840hs/7940hs that Framework use) are very different from their desktop counterparts, especially on AMD.

One of the most important differences is that most of AMD’s desktop CPUs are actually divided into multiple smaller chips internally whereas most laptop CPUs are a single chip. Dividing a CPU into multiple smaller chips makes it cheaper/easier for the manufacturer to scale up performance, however it introduces the need for communication between chips. That inter-chiplet communication is a bit slow (hurting performance) and power intensive (hurting battery life/increasing heat output).

As mentioned by other people, you would need a lot of them to meet those cooling requirements, probably more than is possible to fit in a reasonable sized laptop.

The Framework 16’s battery is already at 85% of the legal limit of the size of battery that can be taken on planes in most countries. I doubt Framework would make the battery much higher capacity without some widespread regulatory change.

3 Likes

I see. Thanks for the responses. I guess this idea just won’t work for now. It might in the future, but yeah, I guess it isn’t really possible right now. Again, thanks for the discussions, it’s always good to learn something from these conversations. :slightly_smiling_face: