5 Second Freeze on 12th Gen i5 With Linux Mint

Periodically when firefox is running my laptop freezes for a few seconds. I decided to try running firefox from terminal to see what shows up when that happens, and I always get:

[GFX1-]: GFX: RenderThread detected a device reset in PostUpdate

Google search shows no useful results, either.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I’m not sure but a lot of us are running with options i915 enable_psr=0 set in /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf. I think that you will need to regenerate your initrd after adding that, I think with sudo update-initramfs -u. You can sudo cat /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_psr to check to make sure that it is set correctly.

There is a whole thread about graphics hangs here: Hard freezing on Fedora 36 with the new 12th gen system - #175 by Elmo

I’m running Linux 5.19.17-051917-generic #202210240939 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Oct 24 09:43:01 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux on Kubuntu 22.04 with the above and have no graphics problems.

EDIT: I don’t know what kernel you are running but 5.18 is the first one that knows how to properly schedule the 12th gen cores: Intel's Thread Director Coming to Linux 5.18 to Fix Alder Lake Performance Issues | Tom's Hardware

I have it once in a week too, I am on chrome ubuntu 22.04
Deactivating ecores from bios helped.

HI @micmac737

The first thing to try is what PDXTabs suggested. And per their suggestion, make sure you’re on a compatible kernel:

Check your kernel version with:

uname -r

Share output here.

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Paste in:

options i915 enable_psr=0

Click Save. Then still in the termimal:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Now restart your computer.

Sorry for the late update, but I actually seem to have resolved my issue by turning off hardware acceleration in firefox. Since I made this update a few weeks ago, I haven’t had any weird freezing events.

2 Likes

Fantastic, I appreciate the update. :slight_smile: