A new display option is great but we need new keyboard options

I’m excited about the new 2880x1920 120 Hz display but the weakest point of the Framework is the keyboard and there is no mention of any changes coming for those of us who type for a living.

What component is the weak point in your work?

1 Like

I just want the keyboard to use QMK like the Framework 16 keyboard does.

Hi and welcome.

The keyboard is not weak, what gave you that idea. I’m sure thousands of users are happy with it, I certainly am.

In the title you use ‘we’ but I don’t know who that refers to as it may be more than one but the ‘we’ implies a substantial amount, which I don’t see.

What problem do you have with the keyboard and have you checked the forum for similar?

The closest I can find without spending a lot more time is

https://community.frame.work/search?q=keyboard

And let’s not create a whole topic on

“What component is the weak point in your work?” there are quite a few people wanting this and that but I find it disheartening when those ‘wants’ start to seem like demands on Framework to ‘improve’ their business to suit everyone. It’s unrealistic and to use the word we is like bullying by adding the pressure of a ‘mob’ of people.

1 Like

Since you quoted my topic…:slight_smile: I don’t think it makes sense to confront people’s opinions like you do, and insult people calling their opinions ‘grumps’ and ‘emotional’ problems.
I personally happen to think that most laptop keyboards are mediocre and under, and most people are happy with that indeed, just as with making bad phone photos, or listening to lossy music on mediocre and expensive (or really bad and affordable) ear plugs. Not because they are great, but apparently 99% of people don’t need better. I feel past couple decades the business world found this financial sweet spot where there is no longer a goal to pursue reasonable perfection (to try make overall better product than competitors) but the financially optimal ‘barely sufficient that is cheapest to make’ in everything that the most consumers will accept (not a computer thing but generally a tech thing perhaps).
After using my framework for some while I rate my framework’s keyboard similar to my work Latitude’s level. A bit less rattle and maybe more resistance on the FW but the ramp up to the tactile bump is more gradual (smoother, longer?) on the Latitude; overall quite similar. I know there’s a LOT worse, these are up to the barely adequate level for me.
That means whenever I can, I use a dock and a mechanical keyboard to type because I don’t find it ergonomically suitable for me - no noteworthy resistance, travel, or tactility on it. I can type on it just don’t care for it, and I absolutely can’t game on it.
In terms of layout what is annoying that I can’t set F keys as default (like how Thinkpads can do it in Bios), I have to do the stupid fn-esc lock that always resets and has no led feedback so keeps me wondering when I do a key combination - did it work, is the software not working, are the keys set to the wrong layer… The lack of home-end, and pg up/down keys is also quite annoying, this means just to name 1 example it’s harder for me to switch browser or editor tabs since I can’t easily use Ctrl-Pgup(down). The small up-down arrows are also super frustrating, very easy to miss and I just don’t find them because they are differently placed compared to standard (so the up is not in the next line). For instance I do a lot text editing and correction using ctrl-arrows to jump words, or select custom blocks of text with ctrl-shift-arrows for example in posts like this. This is all pretty annoying to do with the tiny up-down. You don’t even know how much you use these, several times per minute, until you don’t have a proper layout and the built-in reflexes don’t do what they are supposed to.
I currently think the best recent notebook keyboard, despite the constant complaint of getting closer and closer to the mediocre masses, was the Thinkpad P I used a few years ago. I know some people say Apple is good but I tried a few notebooks and they feel just as dead as any average pc keyboard.

I don’t expect improvements, especially that this isn’t a FW specific issue. It should still be ok to talk about it in a community, with people that want to, don’t you think? I’m sure the rest can just not read or not reply :slight_smile:

OK As the use of the words ‘Grumps’ and ‘emotions’ are a bit of an issue for you I have edited my post to acknowledge your mind.

Thank you.

I won’t discuss the detail of your reply as that would probably inflame the topic to a more personal state about what you want.

So thank you again, but goodbye.

:wheel_of_dharma:

I want HDR, the old resolution was sufficient (VRR and higher brighntess is nice!)

but IPS HDR since OLED/miniLED suck too much battery

I’ve heard a lot of bad things about the keyboard in the framework 16 but I honestly don’t see what the problem is with the 13’s. I used it for a while (I mostly use it as a desktop nowadays) and to me it is perfectly fine (but I would be delighted to be able to buy an ortholinear version of it ahah)

The new screen option is amazing, can’t live without 120hz.

1 Like