AMD announces new Ryzen AI APUs (Strix Point) in Computex 2024

Sure,it’s not a bios nor a microcode. It’s a GPU Firmware update: you can look here

2 Likes

I believe we are talking about different issues. I am referring to this one: Power consumption for HW accelerated video decoding for Radeon iGPUs is simply outrageous (#3195) · Issues · drm / amd · GitLab TLDR: video hardware acceleration under linux is so inefficient that it makes it borderline useless. This is likely to be solved by new VPE block in gpu (basically a hardware scaler that can run without involving power hungry parts of the GPU) which is not available in Phoenix but probably is in Strix (gpu being RDNA 3.5)

1 Like

Alright thanks for pointing the exact issue :slight_smile: . True that hardware video decoding is too much hungry imho.

I am not entirely sure it’s fully a hw issue as it performs much better on windows. I’d be pretty happy with a bit under 1w over idle for 1080p 30 playback myself.

1 Like

It is not but as far as I understand the problem it is not trivial to do rendering in linux the way windows does. And even in windows older intel systems are more efficient than current AMD ones. Far off 1W you mentioned. See discussion in bug report I linked above. That may still be a bug fixable in software/firmware but the fact that AMD driver developer is participating in this discussion and nothing came out of it doesn’t give me much hope

I am also not sure it’s entirely or even mostly the rendering and presentation bit. On my old intel thinkpad I can ffmpeg hw decode 720p for less power than sw, on arm (rk3588) I can ffmpeg hw decode 720p for less power than sw (hell I can transcode, so decode h264 then encode h265 1080p at allmost 500fps for less power than it takes the framework to just decode at 30 fps), on my amd framework I can’t do that. Sure the amd chip does have stupidly efficient cores but shouldn’t hw decoding still be more efficient?

Is there any update on this from the leadership team? It would be good to get an idea of the upcoming roadmap.

There will be no announcement until it’s ready to ship within a month or so. FW doesn’t announce roadmaps for their devices

1 Like

I though that AMD Ryzen 7 7840U and Intel Core Ultra 7 165H are integrated with NPU, and GPU, But AMD Ryzen 7 7840U also have APU.

Will there be a framework motherboard made for ryzen ai core that will be coming later this year? I would like it to be here for the battery efficiency that the cpu provides

I want a apu to run the laptop and then add the discrete gpu as i need it

1 Like

Also very keen to see a Ryzen AI 9 HX 370 release for the FW16 as well :slight_smile:

I will be more happy if Framework Team bringing AMD Ryzen Ai 9 series.

1 Like

Just became aware of a Ryzen AI 9 HX 375 that has 5 more TOPS vs the Ryzen AI 9 HX 370

So you can add this to your list!