AMD-based laptop not charging when using certain USB-C docks

Which Linux distro are you using?
Happens on a fedora 40 and also latest Ubuntu

Which release version?
Latest, updated last Saturday 21-09-2024

Which kernel are you using?
Linux fedora 6.10.10-200.fc40.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Sep 12 18:26:09 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Which BIOS version are you using?

$ sudo dmidecode | grep -A3 'Vendor:\|Product:' && sudo lshw -C cpu | grep -A3 'product:\|vendor:' 
	Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
	Version: 03.03
	Release Date: 03/27/2024
	Address: 0xE0000
       product: AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
       physical id: 4
       bus info: cpu@0
       version: 25.116.1

Which Framework Laptop 16 model are you using? (AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 7040 Series)
AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
64GB RAM (Corsair out of the top of my head?)
2TB Sandisk Corp WD Black SN770

At the office, we have several USB-C docks and several Framework laptops. Some people do use the framework 13 intel edition (13th gen) and they can just sit anywhere, plug in a single USB-C cable from the dock and use screens + charge their laptop at the same time.

However, the AMD ones won’t charge via PD using the dock. I’m using the correct ports on the 16 (port 1 / port 4 and on the AMD 13 it will be port 1 / port 3) and if I connect the charger directly it will charge without issues on both ports.

There is however a single model that will charge the laptop: namely the Dell WD22TB4 Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station, however using the cheaper ones (such as HyperDrive units) it won’t do screen + charging at the same time.

Is this normal, a limitation of the AMD chipset maybe or perhaps something that will be fixed in a future BIOS release? I know there are two standard of USB-C hubs but I don’t know the inner workings of this, maybe it is due to this? I did search about this on the forums but haven’t been able to find much more information on the topic.

Any information on this will be appreciated.

1 Like

I have the same issue with certain chargers. My workaround is to connect it when it’s off, make sure it’s charging and turn it on. Then it will continue charging

It is probably related to this USB-C PD firmware issue that prohibits iPhone charging: USB C is not compatible with iPhone 15 / Pro / Pro Max - #85 by James3

I think Frameworks needs to contact their USB-C PD firmware programmer for a refund and hire someone more competent to rewrite the code. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

That’s a bit extreme ain’t it?

I’m just asking so that I can know better which docks to buy and which ones to avoid, or perhaps even come up with a solution which would be the best case scenario.

Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help debug this, let me know!

Same issue there with a Framework 16 (AMD Ryzen 7040) and a USB-C dock I just received supposed to support PD pass-through (Targus DOCK412-A)…
I would also be interested in a fix or a way to assist !