AMD CPUs please

I’ve been waiting for this for a while, been wanting a framework, the AMD and matte screen additions finally got me to pull the trigger.

5 Likes

@flynzmax Happy to have you!

1 Like

I also did the jump ! YEY !
Can’t wait for it though ahaha

Congrats everyone :slight_smile: I just wonder if any AMD models will have dual M.2 / dual NVMe capability.

Slow clap.

I’m going to pre-order as soon as I puzzle out AMD’s APU naming scheme.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m slow here. Do the AMD motherboards have non-soldered DDR5 memory sticks? I’ll probably order from the Framework store regardless, but I just wanted to clear on whether these are upgradeable after the fact.

@IndependentGeorge I mean, that should go without saying.

I mean, I figured, but just wanted to be 100% sure. I noticed that they’re all soldered on Thinkpads, which is probably the closest analogue.

Anyway, I just put in my pre-order. Thank you, Framework!

1 Like

Sorry for a quite late response! They most definitely should though, I think you’re referring to the 7045 series which are missing the neural engine!

ECC wen?

:wink:

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: ARM CPUs please

I just pre-ordered an AMD Ryzen 7 motherboard for my Framework 13. I’m currently running Windows 10 on my 11th-Gen Intel board. Does anyone know if once the new board arrives late this year, if I can pop out my current M.2 drive with Windows 10 and put it in the new Motherboard? Or do I need to do a clean install of Windows in order for it to work on the AMD processor?

I would think that would be a good idea because of potential driver conflicts

2 Likes

Doesn’t hurt to try it. Maybe install the AMD driver package before the switch, just to be safe. But windows can sometimes fail for no good reason when the hardware changes. (Reusing a Linux installation is likely no problem…)

Doesn’t windows validation throw a little fit when you do a motherboard swap?

It can, but if you have added your license to your Microsoft account, you should be able to move the license to the new computer/mainboard. At least that’s how it worked for me previously.

2 Likes

When Microsoft introduced Windows to Go, Windows got a lot better at hardware changes. I moved my mom’s computer from a Core2Quad in BIOS mode to a Dell 9020 running in UEFI, and it worked well enough :slight_smile: . That was an installed that went from Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 10, so it was quite a chain.

1 Like

We can likely close this thread now.

2 Likes

Done and done. :slight_smile:

3 Likes