AMD CPUs please

I agree, I pre-ordered one because I want one of these laptops regardless of CPU, even though I do prefer AMD. These are the early days, and I want one, and I want to support this company. I hope with the amount of buzz and how popular the product is right now, that it will ensure that everyone will be able to get their CPU of choice further down the line.

14 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Yeah, I had been trying to upgrade my desktop this year and finally gave in and purchased an i5-10400f and LGA 1200 motherboard. I wanted to go with AMD but I would have had to spend anywhere from 30 to 50 percent more for the equivalent performance in my region.

Besides, the whole point of these modular systems is you can upgrade just the motherboard down the line. I could see purchasing the cheapest Intel option on here now and just upgrading the motherboard with an AMD option down the line. If they never materialize at least the 12th gen Intel chips are rumored to be a lot more power efficient and cool running. We can thank Apple for setting that precedent.

Oh, and welcome to the forums @Sidewayz!

Iā€™m glad to see some calm opinions coming out on this matter. Sure, people like Ryzen CPUs better right now but that is no reason to hate on Intel CPUs. Even the cheapest Framework laptop is an upgrade to my current Ryzen laptop, and when they have more ground to stand on as a brand they will be able to offer a much greater variety of any component.

11 Likes

Traditionally, Iā€™ve been Team Red for more than a decade. Case like this, though? Iā€™ll see how the other half lives, if only to hopefully help this company keep in business. Iā€™ve wanted this level of configuration in a laptop for ages.

7 Likes

Iā€™m probably going to post the unpopular opinion and suggest they wait for new Ryzen APUs before pursing an AMD option. I would like at the very least for Van Gogh APUs like those found in the Steam Deck, if not the upcoming Zen 4 chips. I would hate to see them rush to get current Ryzen chips into the Framework mainboard design and have that delay future chips being available.

It would be nice to have those mainboards available for purchase next year, and if that means postponing an alternate AMD option at all in the mean-time I would prefer that.

3 Likes

To add, any new mainboard design that focuses on enhanced cooling solutions to allow for 35w-45w TDP support would also be welcomed by me, as those cooling solutions could easily be copied to new chips. I just wouldnā€™t want the engineers to spend a lot of time on something that would be non-competitive with other AMD chips a very short time after release.

1 Like

Framwork appears to be philosophy driven
Nvidia has been reluctant to embrace Free and open source development
I no longer buy Intel CPU based on the exclusive relationship with Nvidia
I would Love a AMD solution so my dollar supports companies that share my passion
Nothing against Intel or Nvidia products, I have a lot of their products.

But I would love an AMD based solution.
I would also like a 2in1 Option with pen support

TY framework making an awesome company that is an example to the the tech world that options matter.

3 Likes

Yeah I would have preferred a Ryzen option at launch too, but I support Framework sticking with Intel if it means more Thunderbolt support. I want this laptop to have an upgrade path to eGPUs, specifically with NVIDIA cards due to my line of work. Iā€™m in no position to use AMD GPUs given the lobsided driver support for the work I do, but Ryzen is most definitely better than Intel. That said, I can sleep at night using an Intel CPU if I really have to. The talk of computer manufacturing ethics for each brand is kind of hard to fully argue for when thereā€™s still some level of exploitation involved somewhere in the process (such as mineral/material mining)

Iā€™ll add on top of the pile of requests from AMD.

I havenā€™t used anything but exclusively AMD-powered computers for about 20 years.

If Framework comes out with an AMD variant, Iā€™ll be right there making an order for one.

1 Like

AMD YES!

It is hard to get an AMD CPU these days and I suppose in the next year will be better. I would very like to choose a Framework AMD laptop as my next computer. AMD would be cheaper and produce lower heat.

1 Like

For everyone asking for an AMD cpu main board, stop for a second and think about this:

Right now AMD is having a hard time just keeping up, if at all, with processor demand from the likes of Dell, HP, and the other big manufacturers. Look at some of the big name sites and try to find an AMD-powered laptop. A lot of them are ā€œtemporarily unavailableā€.

Now I am right there with you wanting an AMD board, but lets be happy with what Framework has available RIGHT NOW. Let them get this rolling first generation rolled out, and build some momentum for the future. An AMD board can come later once Framework has built a name for themselves and then they can approach AMD for chips later on.

15 Likes

I completely agree here. Yes I want AMD version of the Framework laptop but also I canā€™t demand for one immediately. Iā€™ll be very happy to see Framework grow real quick and be able to make an AMD version in near future, I was at first very reluctant to buy any intel machine but now I can consider to get this first version of Framework when itā€™s available in my region because the pros are much greater than the con (which is just not having AMD).

4 Likes

Given how they said they will soon release a various range of X86 motherboards in the future, Iā€™m sure AMD is in the cards. If not this generation, next generation might make it. If theyā€™re willing to have ARM support or even RISC-V in the future, it should be quite possible.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on the same page: Iā€™d pull the trigger now if AMD was an option.

1 Like

Iā€™d pull the trigger now if AMD was an option, but also Iā€™d be interested if ā€œside-gradingā€ to AMD in the future is possible with this laptop. Just replacing the entire main board and plugging back in the USB-C headers, could it possibly be made that simple?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not trivially simple, but itā€™s not crazy difficult either.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for a successor for an Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen. Iā€™d want some beefy AMD Ryzen (not necessarily desktop Ryzen in a laptop like the Predator Helios, but the newer generation Ryzen mobile CPUs are good enough) to be configurable. I donā€™t care much about the GPU, it can be the integrated one. Also, if there would be a 15" screen version, I donā€™t even want to ask about the 17" but that would be even better. Cheers.

This is not about just brands. AMD is much more resistant to side channel attacks (like Metdown, Spectre) than Intel. It is vulnerable to some versions but oh boy. Intel vs AMD Processor Security: Who Makes the Safest CPUs? | Tom's Hardware
As a customer by choosing AMD over Intel I try to gravitate towards more secure solutions, while I know that AMD has flaws too. Itā€™s just a plus that the performance of the latest generations AMD mobile APUs are pretty good I think.

3 Likes

Iā€™m hearing (and also feeling myself) if we had some notice from the fine folks here making frame.work that a future x86 (or other) platform (like AMD) will be plug and play in framework we would buy one now to support them and swap out that board when it comes.

Has that happened? I see where they say future architectures will be available though itā€™s not clear (likely I missed it) where they say we can use those future boards in existing chasis etc

1 Like