AMD CPUs please

I’m actually a fan of this. I mean, look at the direction HDMI is going…

The first AMD board with certified Thunderbolt 4 came out this year in March:

If Framework decides they WANT to make an AMD board. It’s perfectly possible. But there is going to be a lot that goes into that decision making. All we can do is wait and see.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is kind of nice that with TB4 you know for sure everything is going to work right, where with USB4 you kind of need to read the gory technical details to figure out if you’re going to get the performance you’re expecting or not. The way HDMI is going is definitely NOT a good direction, and I really hope they reconsider before “HDMI” becomes a meaningless standard.

2 Likes

Would be good to look into this. Perhaps frame.work could optimize power way better than the rest of the laptop manufacturers, who seem to not care about it (except for Apple). https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/k3iobs/psa_performance_doesnt_scale_linearly_with/ → couldn’t this knowledge be used to give the M1 a run for its money using a Ryzen? Better battery life too!

The open source firmware and BIOS potential of frame.work is the most exciting part to me.

1 Like

I will immediately order Framework, if 6800u is available. But I suggest Intel is paying benefits to companies, if they are using only their CPUs… unfortunately, that can limit small growing companies like Framework and block AMD motherboards variants from appearing

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s been mentioned already, but when Linus of LMG announced his investment in Framework, he mentioned that the team and he noticed the demand for AMD CPU options and were continuously working to make that happen. We might have to hold on for a while, though because there is only so much that Framework and AMD can do.

3 Likes

CPU shortages remain a real hurdle. If an AMD option arrives, I’ll be happy, but I’m going to be extremely patient about it.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want you to hurry or to overwork on delusional products, but is there like a vague timeline of when you are planning to release AMD CPUs and maybe bigger models. Because I need a long battery time and this is probably not possible in a 13" Ultrabook with Intel CPU. A vague idea would be great, thank you

3 Likes

Regarding Microsoft Pluton: It will be possible for a laptop manufacturer to disable it by default. Lenovo will do that for some of its upcoming laptops: Lenovo, for one, will ship Microsoft Pluton as an opt-in • The Register

If Framework does end up supporting AMD (presumably starting with the Ryzen 6000 series), it would be really fantastic if they also disabled Pluton by default.

Oh, and it would be even more fantastic if PSP could be disabled (to the largest extent possible) through the BIOS as well.

3 Likes

definitely want AMD but definitely DO NOT want pluton. I’ll take a 5xxx or 4xxx if that’s the only way to not have that particular black box morass.

3 Likes

Hi frame work community,
I wish aswell framework would have been built around AMD especially for the iGPUs.
Also I suppose it was somehowe a better solution to go with intel when developping.
If we look at what apple does with much more money…They stick to one technology for years … and yet make solide and valuable products. I am not a mac fan but their products are sturdy and with up to date software support. Services only thinkpad offers in the professional space (such as bios updates for 5 years).
Not sure it is a good idea for frame work to splite energy and funds in two directions. AMD and intel will continue to fight in the CPU/iGPU space for the next 10 years… one having 25% advantage in some application for 12 monthes…Then the other… Next year intel will introduce 14th gen with iGPU built on TSMC, which should improve GPU performances.

Bottom line my tech enthousiasm wants AMD… but as I prefer something durable I am wishing they stick with intel and support it on the long run with a 5 years BIOS update.

The one thing I’m concerned of though is if the toggle switch is in fact “honest” and not like how, when you turn off location services tracking on Google, it’s more akin to it just saying “OK I won’t tell you that you’re being tracked”

Pluton is a troublesome idea, certainly. Of course, it’s also funny as heck that this is the inbuilt “security” chip that gets folks’ attention spiked. Apple’s has the T2 for years, as well as Google and the Titan M. All made with the same base premise of securing the device they run on, and its OS.
Me, I’d rather keep those cute little black boxes out of my computer, or at least be able to control the bastard things.

1 Like

at a guess it’s because the idea of microsoft being responsible for anything ‘security’ related is laughable, based on their track record with windows and related technologies (IE, activex, com etc)

2 Likes

I don’t know about others but, at least for me, I don’t care so much about those because any Apple product as well as Android as a whole are kind of “non-starters” anyway.

In other words, even if you removed the black-boxes from those products, that’s only one of many many problems on those platforms to the point that it’s not even worth bothering with the aforementioned platforms.

For me, the main issue with Pluton is just that I was looking towards specifically RDNA2-powered APUs for possibly at least one if not multiple future Linux-powered PC and, it being the first AMD chip with USB4 means it’s also the first AMD chip that’d make sense in the Framework laptop.

…but it seems unwise to be getting something with Microsoft “security” hardware for a Linux-focused PCs, whether that be a desktop or a Framework or what-not, especially since I don’t really need the performance benefits provided by RDNA2 (they’d be nice however, but not required - hence why I’m using integrated graphics in the first place).

It’s just that, since I keep my PCs for a long long time, having an upgrade path is very useful - but the 5700G is already at the end of the road for AM4 APUs. And since I do keep my PCs for so long (my personal PC is heading towards 8 years old), it’s really feature-set that I’m more concerned about since, especially on GPUs, I’ve run into the issue of my iGPU not supporting some feature or what-not but, if it’s the last APU generation on a socket, then buying a used newer APU isn’t an option.

Now I’m wondering if the rumored “Monet” 12nm 4core Zen3+RDNA2 will lack Pluton as it’s supposedly bog-standard Zen3 and not Zen3+…

1 Like

I come here every few days to check if there’s any AMD framework news. 6000 series AMD Framework would be the dream machine for me (and a surface studio like screen/form factor with pen but not holding my breath for that for a while at least)

If there are no news in the next few months I think I might have to settle with Surface studio laptop as my next upgrade because of the form factor and keep my framework dreams for the next upgrade cycle in a few years.

What could alternatively sway me would be an announcement that AMD is in the works and when the AMD motherboard comes I could upgrade the current FW with it rather than having to get an AMD specific Framework.

1 Like

For AMD option in the market and if I have to pick Surface studio. I would rather get a Steam deck instead

Well, of course… The pen input is very important for me for the type of work that I do while I’m on the road and not on the desktop workstation.

Two drawbacks (aside from price) for Surface studio is you can’t upgrade it and they’re not as powerful as I want them to be. So, if I can get an upgradeable laptop with the specs I want, then I will concede to lugging around a wacom tablet with it.

@David_Tan - apples and oranges. Steam deck looks great but good luck getting any VFX work done on it… But you do you friend

Now I REALLY want an AMD option : )

4 Likes

Just a topic to praise Ryzen 6000. It’s absolutely amazing. Oh the wonders that competition brings. A few YouTube videos on it now. RDNA2 Graphics seem to be 2x as powerful as Iris Xe on the 6900HX. Otherwise it’s also far more power efficient than 12th Gen. What do you think about it?

Edit: This post was moved to AMD CPUs please, even though it is NOT supposed to be a post pleading Framework to add CPUs, this was just a genuine question about what people of the community thought of the new CPUs revealed.

1 Like

I try to think as little as possible about it, now that I have an 11th gen Intel system on its way to me that I wouldn’t want to upgrade for a while. Might be a blessing in disguise though, because wouldn’t I drool over Ryzen 7000 in some months time if I gave in to these feelings?