AMD Gang, any of you are planning to swap out the Mediatek WiFi?

Perhaps I do

Did you end up going with a killer? I was looking around but I’m not too sure what is compatible with AMD 7040.

I’ve always had good experience with killer and they have some awesome looking wifi 7 cards

Aren’t those just rebadged intel cards these days?

1 Like

I believe so? Pretty sure intel owns killer. I tend to see better speeds with the killer branded ones verses the generic intel ones though

They use the same linux driver so it’s pretty much tomato/tomato here XD, if the killer wifi 7 ones are rebadged be200s you are gonna have a bad time on the amd framework for now though.

My own plan is to try and get my hands on the Qualcomm WiFi 7 chip (as mentioned in this guide) and swap it out. Maybe an idea for FW to stock it on the marketplace?

It’s supposed to be an upgrade for the 210, as far as I understand

The only issue with that is I’m running windows 11. I assume there are win 11 drivers though?

The link given in the guide I mentioned goes to this page, where Windows 11 support is advertised - Qualcomm QCNCM865 - WikiDevi.Wi-Cat.RU

It also makes the amd framework not post, don’t ask me how I know XD

Don’t suppose there’s a convenient list of compatible cards :joy:

Also, what about Realtek cards?

Please AMA about the QCNCM865 and Linux :slight_smile:

I have installed Intels AX210 today and it is much better in my point of view than the Mediatek. I had cracking noise with Bluetooth, this is gone, also the range increased a lot. I am using Windows 11.

2 Likes

I still have my old AX210 saved in my cabinet and I think when I get the time this weekend, I will also do the same and replace the Mediatek card, I don’t have as much of an issue with it as other people but it’s just slower than my other devices for no reason, and takes up to 30 seconds to turn back on from hibernate mode.

I’ve been running a RTL8852BE I took out of my desktop in mine, and it seems to work much better than the MediaTek one (in Linux).

Okay, cool. That’s the one I was looking at possibly ordering

Linux here.

The thought crossed my mind, I had even ordered an AX210 but ended up returning it in its original packaging.

Reason being, the reason I was looking for replacing the Mediatek card was failure to connect on some boots/resumes from suspend. An issue that was later solved via a (Linux) firmware update.

So once I was happy with the Mediatek card, no reason to risk the linux-support lottery with the Intel card.

Make no mistake, Intel cards can also be crappy on Linux.

My previous 11th gen Intel Dell XPS had an AX201, and with the latest iwlwifi firmware they introduced a regression that totally killed bandwidth if bluetooth earbuds were connected. It was impossible for me to have Teams calls with my earbuds, or watch a YT video because it would start buffering like crazy. I had to manually revert to a previous firmware version and had to pin that version to avoid receiving any further updates, since the bug report I opened went unnoticed.

So yeah, keep that in mind. Grass ain’t necessarily always greener on the other side.

EDIT: sharing link for those who are interested:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217708

2 Likes

The biggest issue I have is there seems to be issues with the bluetooth on windows

So, I decided to give the Mediatek a chance. What I found (on Fedora 39):

1. It’s 5Ghz performance is within margin of error of an AX210
  2. It’s 6Ghz is definitely worse than an AX210 for weaker signals, but gets better throughput with stronger signals.
  3. According to my router, the Mediatek keeps on “re-connecting”, but that doesn’t seem to affect long running connections.
  4. It’s Bluetooth signal is significantly stronger than an AX210

So, for now I’m keeping it.

5 Likes

Got a few weeks of usage here – works well. More stable connections and faster (re)connects.