Amdgpu Error queueing DMUB command: status=2 when waking from suspend

Seeing same thing, Framework 16 running Bluefin Linux, running integrated GPU.

This might be something in Mesa. It’s stopped happening as often ever since openSUSE switched to using a non-LTO version of it, and it happens very infrequently. That being said, the last time it happened I hadn’t suspended recently. I’m going to try to update the title to reflect that.

Same issue. I’m using Fedora 40 and happens in random moments.

Hi,
It’s not just when waking from suspend.
I’ve had it 2 mornings running when booting from scratch on Ubuntu 24.04. The system was okay for a bit, but on both occasions I was on a Teams call when it ground to a halt.

1 Like

I’ve had this occur a couple of times in the last few weeks. In Ubuntu 22.04. Suddenly system gets unresponsive, without any real identifiable cause. Doesn’t feel overly warn, no specific demanding programs or workloads running. Doesn’t seem to be tied to suspend/waking up. Nothing that predicts that it will happen or something that I can avoid doing until a fix. Only reset helps. Feels a bit like the old Windows days.

Also seeing this apparently randomly on Framework 16 (doesn’t seem particularly linked to wake from suspend for me, at least not proximally) on NixOS, seems related to: [RESPONDED] Error waiting for DMUB idle: status=3

BIOS updates and enabling boot-time redistributable firmware have not eliminated it. Hard to say if they have helped, I feel like it has happened less since installing/enabling these.

It’s happening less and less. Last time was a week ago. I think some update addressed the issue to some degree.

Still happening pretty regularly for me: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS on a FW16. Not “when waking from suspend”, though: randomly when working. And I don’t have the dGPU expansion card, this is just with built-in graphics.

If you can reliably reproduce, can you please apply these 2 patches and confirm it helps?

https://lore.kernel.org/dri-devel/20240708202907.383917-1-hamza.mahfooz@amd.com/

They’re for this type of problem (you can read more in the thread)

Is that the correct link? It takes me to a discussion of power optimization and dynamic vblank delay.

Yeah it is.

Things have seen to have gotten better for me. I removed the dGPU expansion card and I haven’t had this problem in a few weeks.

I experienced this sudden iGPU performance drop (1FPS) today on my AMD Framework 13 running Fedora 40 (Gnome Wayland), kernel 6.9.5, amd-gpu-firmware 20240709-1.fc40.

This was also spammed in my system journal:

amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: [drm] *ERROR* Error queueing DMUB command: status=2

Here’s a runtime solution :tada: (no reboot required) which worked for me:

$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/1/amdgpu_gpu_recover

The screen then goes black for a second and comes back with restored GPU performance.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Besides the runtime solution, it looks like there is a kernel option you can give it to automatically restart the driver if some issues are found.

Hopefully Framework can fix the driver issues.

2 weeks+ since the last incident. No change in behavior and software (beside updates).

The issue seems patched in Fedora.

Edit: Today (29 Jul) it happened again

The same just happened out of nowhere (no suspending) on my brand-new Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon 780M) running Ubuntu 24.04 LTS 64-bit (Linux 6.8.0-39-generic on Wayland).

I am on Ubuntu 22.04 kernel 6.0.5-1025-oem
I’ve received a mail from FW concerning a new bios, haven’t updated yet.
I am using my fw16 for months never had this issue.
Today I had to restart my computer to get it solved, it worked for a minute and started again to crawl.
Your solution help to get it working for now
Thanks

I have been having this issue was well on my Framework 16 on Fedora 40.

Same here! Just had it happen. Error message was the exact same

There’s a newer version of the amdgpu dmcub dcn 314 linux firmware stating in the change logs

Fixes lock problem

I’m using Arch Linux ( Linux 6.10.3 ), KDE Plasma 6.1.3, FW16 7840HS, BIOS 3.04 beta

I updated to it two days ago and it’s not happened yet but I don’t know if that changelog entry is referring to the issue we’re experiencing