Any idea why my computer is blowing hot air when in sleep

When using my laptop daily I never hear the fan however when I close the lid with it plugged in I come back with it extremely hot and the fan blowing. It even does this when I have it upside down on the flat surface so the air can go in and out freely and all it’s doing is sitting there charging.

What’s happening and can I fix it?

1 Like

I’d say the problem is not the ventilation but the heat production. With normal “modern suspend” (which does leave a lot of components powered in the machine, but if all goes well at a very low level), people have been reporting power use in the 0.3W - 1.5W range. Unless your bag is extremely well-insulated or your bag is in a very hot environment that level of heat production should be able to just dissipate.

Things that seem to contribute to higher power use seem to include:

• Expansion cards other than USB-C pass through. Particularly HDMI, micro-SD, displayport, USB drives end up causing the system to use a lot of power
  • certain models of internal NVMe SSD drives. For the latter, under linux, the kernel boot parameter nvme.noacpi=1 has helped.

It could also be that there is something in your system configuration that prevents it from actually entering into suspend state. Under normal conditions, it would probably use something in the 4W-8W range when it’s not doing anything in particular. That should be enough to warm a bag.

At this point, it sounds unlikely that there’s a hardware problem with your laptop: the most likely explanations are software (configuration) at the moment. It could be a mismatch in a driver/hardware combination or harware with really poor firmware/driver software, though (like the NVMe software mentioned above, for which there turned out to be a work-around).

2 Likes

Awesome thank you for the reply I do not put my laptop in a bag it stays on a table. That is where the confusion lies because there’s plenty of ventilation for it to cool down even at a low-powered state. I’m not sure what to do with this since it’s been like this since I got the laptop I just assumed it was a driver issue that would be fixed eventually and with the most recent driver updates and the new bios I was hoping it would be good to go but it’s not. Was wondering if maybe there was some secret button I need to depress to make it stop other than putting it in hibernate which is what I have been doing in the past to get around it.

1 Like

Hi.

Yes sleep is a power drain. What OS are you using as you can check what apps are using what power.

Also USB A expansion cards require the mainboard to provide power when sleeping etc.

I am using Windows 10

32 GB Crucial Ram
2 TB Sabrent Rocket SSD

Yes, I haven’t followed suspend problems with Windows. I understand its default is suspend-then-hibernate, triggered by a 5% charge drop in the battery. So your problem should just lead to the system suspending way earlier; not to a depleted battery.

The 32 GB perhaps on the higher side of memory, which would require some more power to be maintained. You can check the forum: the 11th gen with all USB-C expansion cards with 16Gb can make do with about 0.3W during suspend, so it’s good for about a week. 32GB shouldn’t be that much more.

The 2TB SSD shouldn’t really use any more power, but the NVMe.noacpi option under linux was necessary to make some WD SSD’s behave (also ones outside the firmware versions listed!), so SSDs can be power hogs during suspend, and different models seem to behave quite differently.

2 Likes

This could be a two part issue with modern standby causing a lot of heat, and the fact that the Framework cooling system performs worse when the laptop lid is closed. I would recommend making sure that your laptop hibernates when you close the lid, or to leave the lid open when you are not using it if you wish to simply suspend it.