Anyone know if a GIGABYTE AORUS RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Box eGPU works with these laptops?

Been struggling to figure out which NVIDIA RTX GPU would work with these laptops. Originally tried a Razor Core X and returned it (as well as a EVGA 2080 Ti card since I couldn’t find any other eGPU cases that supports a 2080 Ti) since it was DOA.

I figured buying a GIGABYTE AORUS RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Box eGPU from Amazon, but I wanted to be sure it works before buying since the amount of stress i’ve gotten trying to get an eGPU to work with my laptop (Batch 5 recipient).

The laptop natively supports Thunderbolt (even if it is not certified yet).

Here is a video on how to do it and some benchmarks:

Here a post on the forum:

If you are not sure if it will work out of the box, it will (unless you gone linux side, then there is probably some setup to do before using the GPU).

It will work, but will probably be heavily bottlenecked by the Thunderbolt interface. Best value for money is probably at the 6600(XT) range or the like if you want to go the eGPU route.

1 Like

Would a 1080 ti work instead? I that was my second choice if the 3080 ti would have issues.

Almost any card will work, but you will see significant performance loss on a very high end card. If you have the choice between a 3080ti and a 1080ti, the 3080ti will absolutely perform better. If you are looking to buy a new card just to use with the framework, then I would consider a 3080ti to be beyond overpriced, but it will definitely work.

1 Like

Thanks!

The reason why i was asking is that I needed a card for game dev and 3d rendering (along with some gaming), so i was going for the highest card possible since i want this to last a few years vs having to get a new card months from now (which I’d probably do if i got a 1080 ti)