Apparently wobbly hinges

@reanimus Thanks for the video. Seriously appreciated. That wobble is insane.

I donā€™t know that it is. I was deliberately flicking the screen around to demonstrate that the screen maintains position. Previously, it would have closed/fallen open.

When walking around with it or the like, it remains stable, and Iā€™m able to type pretty nicely both on my bed and on my lap.

On the new video posted by LTT (time-stamped link) you can visibly see the screen ā€œwobbleā€
Granted it is on top of a desk mat, and so I guess screen ā€œwobbleā€ is likely just going to be a thing.
Thatā€™s so 2014 thoā€¦ But the reality of a taller display means a longer force arm, which means easier oscillations.

This is NOT to be confused with weak/loose hinges where the display will just flop down.

Actually the wobble is so massive at 11:04 the camera shot is going up and down. Desk mat certainly donā€™t help on this regard.

I just finished replacing my original hinges (the laptop was bought in June 2021) with the 4 kg hinges.

The replacement was very easy. The only difficulty I encountered during replacement was that, as I was attempting to install the right hinge, one of the small screws kept being drawn to one of the magnets that hold the bezel in place. I ended up having to hold the screw in place with a pair of tweezers (so that it would not be drawn to the magnet) while I screwed it into place with the tool provided with the laptop.

Once installed, the 4.0 kg hinges are great. Firm but not too firmā€¦ very much like the feel of an Apple MacBook. Iā€™m really happy that I replaced the original hinges.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a long time since I added my own ā€œSaga of the Hingeā€ to this post. I just replaced my replacement hinged with 4kg version and have two comments.

1. The 4kg hinges are so much better. My display stays where I put it and doesnā€™t wobble at all.

2. FW support has come a long way since May '22. Iā€™ve been working through a failed webcam and they were responsive and helpful in debugging to pin down the source of the problem.

Frameworkā€™s come a long way.

4 Likes