Arch Linux on the Framework Laptop 13

Yep 5.15.6 now includes the fix. Finally a kernel with everything working for the framework!

4 Likes

Agreed. I confirm that it is working on my end too, which means working Bluetooth and no freezes during startup and later. Thanks to all who made this available.

I am on EndeavourOS, and 5.15.6 seems very nicely stable. This is a first for me. Every version before this one has been flaky in one way or another.

Agreed. EndeavourOS is a keeper for sure. Couple hiccups in the graphical installer but it’s been good for all the basics since.

Working on eGPU + Nvidia next

How’s battery life on EndeavourOS with 5.15.6?

I just updated my findings for this on the [TRACKING] Linux battery life tuning - #82 by D.H thread.

TL;DL, EndeavourOS + tlp+ PSR manually turned on gives very good idle, light web browsing, etc usage, maybe 8-10 hours, maybe more. I’d still like to improve video playback longevity a bit, but 6-7 hours of samba streaming 720p is not too bad. Powersave on AX210 card is a must.

Blockquote

What version of endeavourOS did you install initially before upgrading to 5.15.6? I wanted to give it a go to see if it worked any better than manjaro for me; but it basically panics as soon as the live ISO desktop appears. :frowning:

All of them. The version right before Atlantis was the first version that all of the bugs were worked out. Especially the failure to wake up issue that I had. Install Atlantis and see how it works for you. It works fantastic for me.
Note that you have to enable bluetooth. The devs didn’t enable it for security.

Seems I was blaming the wrong thing :slight_smile: After going through about 5 different distros and seeing the same issues manifest in mostly similar ways; I decided to try upgrading the firmware via the Windows Installer and immediately everything started working on both endeavour and manjaro 5.15.6 :smiley:

looks like 5.15.6 still doesnt give me BT access, i did restart the services but it didnt really fix anything.

@Arsal_Asif
Did you do a:
sudo pacman -S --needed bluez bluez-utils
then a:
sudo systemctl enable --now bluetooth
then for good measure a reboot?

Bluetooth works 100% solid for me. After sleep, on reboot, everything just works.

yep, and i gave it another go for good measure. Dont seem to be finding success. Also attempted with pulsa alsa for the record @CheeseWizard but i appreciate the suggestion. 5.15.4 gave me graphical issues, so 5.15.6 being usable is nice.

Does anyone encounter problems with grub when booted in UEFI? I created an EFI system partition, formatted it to FAT32, mounted it to /mnt/boot, generated fstab, but grub-install returned a message “could not prepare boot variable no such file or directory”. ls /sys/firmware/efi/efivars executed with no errors, so what should be the problem? Any help appreciated!

Update: This problem is resolved by changing the internal ssd from ADATA S70 BLADE 1TB to SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB. Another reason to use Gold P31 as the OS drive.

Update: Why even the ssd plays a role here? I’m confused.

I’ve had this issue as well (kernel 5.15.6). The Ubuntu 21.04 thread says to add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi

but I haven’t tried this fix yet.

I’m also having this problem, and made a separate post - with several things I’ve tried so far… does anyone have any updates on this issue?

Heres a link to my post on this forum:
Microphone woes on Arch Linux

I realllllllly want to figure this out.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .
/s

I’m running Manjaro and this patch worked for me:

1 Like

You could try pipewire and see if that gets your microphone working. It’s pretty easy to get running on arch.

You just run sudo pacman -S pipewire pipewire-pulse easyeffects --needed

--needed allows pulse to be removed without uninstalling everything that depends on pulse (which is a lot of stuff)

easyeffects is the best new thing for linux audio. You can add all kinds of effects to your mic like noise reduction and dynamic gain

4 Likes

Hi all, i did a clean reinstall of arch, and 5.15.8 seems to be running smooth with everything including bluetooth. anyone who is still encountering issues after trying all above suggestions should attempt that.

I am preparing a drive to put arch linux on and if kernel 5.15.8 works completly with WIFI and BT out of the box, where is the ISO file with that kernel? This is my first time installing a specific kernel version and I can’t find where to get it. On the archlinux website the iso file is packaged with kernel 5.15.5 .

@Arik, the ISO won’t have the latest kernel, but WiFi should work well enough to do the install. You will get the latest kernel either in the pacstrap step of the install, or later whenever you do a full system upgrade.

Be sure to specify a DHCP client (such as dhcpcd) in the pacstrap command, and then enable the service in the chroot phase.

The tricky part is getting WiFi configured during the chroot phase of the install.

I found it much easier to use a USB-C ethernet adapter for the install and all of the initial setup. Then after getting a full desktop environment setup, that is when I configured WiFi.