Arch Linux on the Framework Laptop 13

Seems I was blaming the wrong thing :slight_smile: After going through about 5 different distros and seeing the same issues manifest in mostly similar ways; I decided to try upgrading the firmware via the Windows Installer and immediately everything started working on both endeavour and manjaro 5.15.6 :smiley:

looks like 5.15.6 still doesnt give me BT access, i did restart the services but it didnt really fix anything.

@Arsal_Asif
Did you do a:
sudo pacman -S --needed bluez bluez-utils
then a:
sudo systemctl enable --now bluetooth
then for good measure a reboot?

Bluetooth works 100% solid for me. After sleep, on reboot, everything just works.

yep, and i gave it another go for good measure. Dont seem to be finding success. Also attempted with pulsa alsa for the record @CheeseWizard but i appreciate the suggestion. 5.15.4 gave me graphical issues, so 5.15.6 being usable is nice.

Does anyone encounter problems with grub when booted in UEFI? I created an EFI system partition, formatted it to FAT32, mounted it to /mnt/boot, generated fstab, but grub-install returned a message “could not prepare boot variable no such file or directory”. ls /sys/firmware/efi/efivars executed with no errors, so what should be the problem? Any help appreciated!

Update: This problem is resolved by changing the internal ssd from ADATA S70 BLADE 1TB to SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB. Another reason to use Gold P31 as the OS drive.

Update: Why even the ssd plays a role here? I’m confused.

I’ve had this issue as well (kernel 5.15.6). The Ubuntu 21.04 thread says to add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi

but I haven’t tried this fix yet.

I’m also having this problem, and made a separate post - with several things I’ve tried so far… does anyone have any updates on this issue?

Heres a link to my post on this forum:
Microphone woes on Arch Linux

I realllllllly want to figure this out.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .
/s

I’m running Manjaro and this patch worked for me:

1 Like

You could try pipewire and see if that gets your microphone working. It’s pretty easy to get running on arch.

You just run sudo pacman -S pipewire pipewire-pulse easyeffects --needed

--needed allows pulse to be removed without uninstalling everything that depends on pulse (which is a lot of stuff)

easyeffects is the best new thing for linux audio. You can add all kinds of effects to your mic like noise reduction and dynamic gain

4 Likes

Hi all, i did a clean reinstall of arch, and 5.15.8 seems to be running smooth with everything including bluetooth. anyone who is still encountering issues after trying all above suggestions should attempt that.

I am preparing a drive to put arch linux on and if kernel 5.15.8 works completly with WIFI and BT out of the box, where is the ISO file with that kernel? This is my first time installing a specific kernel version and I can’t find where to get it. On the archlinux website the iso file is packaged with kernel 5.15.5 .

@Arik, the ISO won’t have the latest kernel, but WiFi should work well enough to do the install. You will get the latest kernel either in the pacstrap step of the install, or later whenever you do a full system upgrade.

Be sure to specify a DHCP client (such as dhcpcd) in the pacstrap command, and then enable the service in the chroot phase.

The tricky part is getting WiFi configured during the chroot phase of the install.

I found it much easier to use a USB-C ethernet adapter for the install and all of the initial setup. Then after getting a full desktop environment setup, that is when I configured WiFi.

@Arik - Wifi will work for the installation process, you just have to manually enter everything through iwctl to get it set up initially. When you get to the pacstrap part you want to make sure you are installing dhcpcd and networkmanager along with the other stuff. When you get to the arch-chroot part of the installation, make sure that both the networkmanager and dhcpcd daemons are enabled when you reboot. If you’re using something like GNOME or KDE Plasma the built-in network tools will work out of the box. When you install you will get the latest kernel, so you shouldn’t have any networking or bluetooth issues.

Standard arch distro comes with wifi-menu command still, right?

Or you could use an arch derivation like Endeavour or Manjaro with graphical installers if command line wifi is a no go…

I assume nobody has successfully used the LVFS testing channel and updated their firmware yet?

Seems like fwupdmgr isn’t properly creating the boot entries and manually setting this up isn’t working great on my end.

1 Like

Arch community, thanks for the great Framework Laptop wikipage on ArchWiki. Seeing the Function keys page, I found maybe one mistake at Framework Laptop 13 - ArchWiki .

F9 Super+L

According to my check by xev -event keyboard, the F9’s key symbol is not Super+L but Super_L + p (Left Super + p). As I didn’t want to edit the ArchWiki page, I just report it here. Hope someone in the Arch Linux community will update the page.

Press “F9”, then the result was like this.

$ xev -event keyboard
KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x29a, subw 0x0, time 41784725, (154,66), root:(720,607),
    state 0x0, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x29a, subw 0x0, time 41784725, (154,66), root:(720,607),
    state 0x40, keycode 33 (keysym 0x70, p), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (70) "p"
    XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (70) "p"

KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x29a, subw 0x0, time 41784866, (154,66), root:(720,607),
    state 0x40, keycode 33 (keysym 0x70, p), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (70) "p"

KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x29a, subw 0x0, time 41784869, (154,66), root:(720,607),
    state 0x40, keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
1 Like

The more and more I dig, I think its a hardware issue. I went as far as installing Windows 10 with Secure Boot and all the bells and whistles; and still no mic.

I’m frustrated.
Thanks for your suggestions, I had also thought of switching to pipe or jack options… its not my cam/mic module, its not the hardware switch in the bezel - so I guess I have to go from there. :confused:

Could I get some assistance on switching the mouse setting from the default sides profile to the triple/double/single finger click as well as tap to click? The wiki for the framework laptop is kind of confusing as it doesn’t explain the process very well, and I haven’t seen a whole lot of discussion about it here other than one person.

Depending on your desktop environment, there might be some easy ways of setting this - I use GNOME and settings allows me to select tap to click right in the touchpad section… to do the right-click thing I followed the Arch Linux Frame.work pade:

Arch Linux Frame.work Laptop Wiki

Hope that helps…

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .
/s

@Paulie420 I used that same wiki that you sent, but I don’t really understand what it wants me to do. I tried using their temporary command to see if that would work, but I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to put for the device portion (i tried imputing id=x). I should also mention that I’m using BSPWM, otherwise I would’ve had an easy time just switching the setting in GNOME settings too.

Although I used the temporary command, I would prefer to do the permanent one, as I liked the way that I was using my touchpad on gnome.

EDIT: I’ve taken some time to understand libinput a bit more, and when I input the command (from the wiki)
xinput set-prop “device” “libinput Click Method Enabled” 0 1
I get “property ‘Click Method Enabled’ doesn’t exist, you need to specify its type and format”
I’m looking at the xinput(1) wiki right now, but I’m still unsure of what I would need to input to get that to work. Either way, this is not a persistent setting change, and I’m still looking for the permanent solution to this

EDIT 2: So I have now realized that I need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to add the triple/double finger click mode as well as tap to click, but what do I need to actually input into the .conf file and what is proper syntax?

1 Like