Arch Linux on the Framework Laptop 13

Still no luck.

It works only before a reinstallation (because it checks the /var/lib/fprintd folder).

I have the impression there is no way to purge the memory of the sensor if we forget to remove the fingerprints before a reinstall :confused:

There is actually a way to do this on Windows, but I’m not sure what the equivalent would be for Goodix’s Linux driver:

1. Click on the search button in the Taskbar and type “Services”
  2. Scroll down and right click on Windows Biometric Service, and click Stop
  3. Open File Explorer and navigate to “C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase”
  4. Delete the .DAT file that starts with “74B”
  5. Go back to Services, right click on Windows Biometric Service, and click Start
2 Likes

@Foxboron I have secure boot working with systemd-boot, sbupdate-generated unified .efi image. Thanks to systemd-cryptenroll, my disk is only decrypted if the secure boot process executes successfully (LUKS2 key stashed in TPM).

In case any of you Arch wizards might be able to help, I posted a support thread over on the Manjaro forums related to the behavior of the lid switch and suspend. I don’t actually think this is so much a Framework issue as an Arch and/or Manjaro issue, but I figured this is a great community and maybe someone here can help solve it:

I don’t know if this is specific to arch, but I thought I’d leave a note here that yesterday after a pacman -Syu and a reboot I was getting some warnings in the system logs from the kernel, and trying to bring the wifi card up with ip link set <device> up failed with an error that I forgot to write down…

The solution for me was to sudo rfkill unblock all and everything is working great again.

I’m just posting this here in case it’s somehow unique to the wifi card in the framework (I have the non-vpro DIY edition) since that’s the first time I’ve ever had that happen in ~8 years of using arch!

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I was able to install Arch with minimal issues. The one thing that took some time to figure out was that I needed to add i915 to MODULES in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to get X11 to work without xf86-video-intel, as was suggested by the Intel graphics page on the Arch wiki.

Touchpad worked fine after applying my preferred settings using a .conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. I also disabled PS2 Mouse Emulation in the BIOS.

Fingerprint sensor works fine with fprint.

Planning on testing dual monitor support with two HDMI expansion cards next week.

Battery life while suspended (lid down) is pretty bad, but that’s not a huge issue for me. Need to investigate this more. I am using tlp for power management.

The lowest brightness on the screen is still pretty bright (much higher than my T480), but this may be a hardware limitation (non-PWM backlight is very nice though).

The Framework is much snappier than my T480, quite happy with the performance.

EDIT: forgot to say that I’m a little disappointed that the touchpad (or at least the current driver?) doesn’t expose touchpad pressure values (e.g. sudo /usr/lib/libinput/libinput-measure touchpad-pressure reports “This device does not have the capabilities for pressure-based touch detection”). This would enable some more customization of the touchpad, which I like about the Synaptics touchpad in my T480. Hopefully it’s something that the touchpad manufacturer could enable in the future?

EDIT 2: Also forgot to mention I use rEFInd as my bootloader. No complaints here, but don’t miss the Warning under " Installation with refind-install script" like I did, or you’ll need to reboot into the installation media to fix it…

2 Likes

fellow arch frame.worker here, loving everything so far. I’ve got the fingerprint sensor working with Gnome login and terminal sudo via PAM, but there is the alternative password prompt that comes up occasionally which does not allow a fingerprint. I don’t know what to call this other than an “Admin” Authentication box, and am having trouble searching the web because I’m not sure what it’s actually called.

For example, when you try to install software from the graphical Gnome Software, this sucker pops up:

Anyone know how to get the fingerprint dialog on this prompt?

Edit: Looks like this bug may be related After login in with Fingerprint reader on Lenovo Thinkpad prompted to enter password for unlocking the Keyring (#613) · Issues · GNOME / gdm · GitLab

I was hoping that the 5.14 kernel would fix the bluetooth issues, but it’s still not connecting for me. Has anyone else had better luck?

I got Bluetooth working on kernel 5.13.3. It took a few extra packages to get my Bluetooth headset working but I got there at the end.

What kind of errors are you getting @Anil_Kulkarni on the Blueetooth service? You can check with “systemctl status bluetooth”.

For general “pop-up” prompts, gnome uses polkit. So you’d have to add the appropriate line to etc/pam.d/polkit-1 if you haven’t. But yes, you can’t use this to unlock the keyring, unless support has been added without me knowing.

1 Like

@Agus, no errors just no bluetooth:
journalctl -u bluetooth  :heavy_check_mark:
– Journal begins at Tue 2021-09-07 20:26:15 PDT, ends at Tue 2021-09-07 22:11:25
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service…
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook bluetoothd[137885]: Bluetooth daemon 5.61
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook bluetoothd[137885]: Starting SDP server
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
Sep 07 22:10:39 framebook bluetoothd[137885]: Bluetooth management interface 1.21 initialized

@Anil_Kulkarni Not sure what you mean by “no bluetooth”. Do you get any errors when you try to pair devices or you cannot even get to that point?

This article has some good tips on how to setup BT in Arch Bluetooth - ArchWiki. And this one is the one that I used to setup my BT headset Bluetooth headset - ArchWiki

Best,

Agus.

@Agus bluetooth is broken on arch kernel 5.13.13 and up, seemingly. My understanding is it worked out of the box on prior versions

@ant I can ensure you that BT works on 5.13.3 on Arch Linux with the AX210 non vPro. Please see screenshot attached. I just had to follow the instructions on the official Arch docs.

@Agus oooh very interesting! This is reason enough for me to try again. Thank you! Just fyi your comments mention 5.13.3, not 5.13.13, but i see your screenshot with working BT on 5.13.13! I have the vPro version, wonder if that slight variation makes a difference.

Oops, my bad, I meant 5.13.13. Awesome, report back, it would be interesting to see if vPro vs non vPro version makes a difference.

Best,

Agus

1 Like

Hello all, I’m having some really odd bluetooth issues on Arch (just got my Framework today). Wi-fi works fine. (Also my hostname is Ceres, if you see that below).

I’m using kernel 5.13.13 right now, with the non-vPro adapter. I’ve also tried 5.13.7, and that didn’t work either.

Agent registered
[bluetooth]# power on
No default controller available
[bluetooth]# 

When I run “sudo rfkill list”, I get this:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

So, it shows up there fine. However, I tried running btmgmt power on, and I get this:

Set Powered for hci0 failed with status 0x11 (Invalid Index)

Even weirder, when I run ‘btmgmt info’, I get:

Index list with 0 items

I’m kinda pulling my hair out at this point. It shows up in gnome as “Bluetooth Off”, but the only button is still “Bluetooth Off”. Nothing happens if I try and toggle it.

When I ran ‘journalctl --grep “hci0”’, it output this:

Sep 08 19:03:24 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware timestamp 2021.28 buildtype 1 build 28502
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: No device address configured
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-0041-0041.sfi
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Boot Address: 0x100800
Sep 08 19:03:25 Ceres kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware Version: 86-28.21

It seems like the card isn’t being initialized right, for some reason. Any help or insight would be really appreciated.

EDIT: Just confirmed that it isn’t a hardware issue. Booted an ubuntu live USB running kernel 5.11, and bluetooth works fine. I’ll try downgrading even further.

EDIT2: Solved by downgrading Arch to 5.12.15.

1 Like

@Agus no luck here! You’ve got a lucky device. Any chance you installed any nonstandard kernel modules and/or the bluez-utils-compat package? Bluetooth isn’t critical for me and as it seems like a recent regression, I’m good waiting for an upstream fix, just curious what might be the difference.

@ant @darthdomo Bluetooth is working for me on the linux-zen kernel, its in the standard repos

I can confirm that Bluetooth doesn’t work out of the box on 5.13.13-arch1-1 (e.g. the current stock Arch kernel) with the non-vPro AX210. I get the same behavior that @darthdomo describes above.

EDIT: just found https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=213829 linked in another thread on this forum. I’ll have to try a cold boot and see if that fixes my issue.

2 Likes