Are you keeping your Framework laptop?

Noted this as well.

Apple shifted away from this style to that black plastic rectangle so the industry will be sure to follow suit :stuck_out_tongue: I agree it would be better if it was not part of the housing but a module.

Coolest thing I noticed was the laptops KB can be removed and used with any computer using the USB interface, awesome!

1 Like

Iā€™m planning to keep this one for about ten years. If Framework makes it possible to use it longer, Iā€™ll be ecstatic.

I have a college student this year and I am NOT planning on buying her one, just because this is still a ā€˜first adopterā€™ device, and I donā€™t think it quite is realizing all the benefits weā€™ll see in a few years.

There are a few design aspects Iā€™m still waiting on updates for (keyboard!!) and a few I wasnā€™t sure about but now really like (screen ratio).

1 Like

I think the long term issue for me will be durability. The Framework does not feel ā€˜chuckableā€™ like a serious Dell/Lenovo work laptop would. The screen just feels so fragile and the metals so thin. I feel if I look at the screen the wrong way it will crack.

Its the only laptop Iā€™ve take the trouble to buy a hardshell case to put it in my laptop bag with.

1 Like

I feel the same way as well. Hope the v2 lid will feel better. Waiting for reviews.

Iā€™ve used an old ā€˜cottonā€™ case with two pockets.

I put a thin piece of plywood in one pocket, to the front, then put the laptop in the back pocket with itā€™s screen towards the plywood, then put that in my rucksack with the bottom of the laptop towards my back.

So far so good
:crossed_fingers:

I put a 3mm piece of this.

The thing isā€¦Iā€™m not bothered by ā€˜thin & lightā€™ I donā€™t mind some heft. Iā€™m used to the turn of the century laptop that weighed 8lbs and the power supply another 2lbs.

I had a different version of this for yearsā€¦
https://www.newegg.com/compaq-presario-r3240us/p/N82E16834147043

I can handle some weight. I am not an enfeebled marmoset. Maybe instead of all the bells and whistles folks ask for maybe just build a thicker and deeper machine with a double capacity battery and better thermal cooling. I can go a kilo heavier no problem.

I doubt any major corporation would dare take on Frameworks for business use. It would be carnage. :joy:

1 Like

Same hereā€¦W700 weightā€¦

Made us the people we are today! :wink: :grinning:

Didnā€™t need a gym membership back then.

1 Like

Luckily or sadly I donā€™t have such scrap lying around, metals and wood ??

Iā€™m pretty rough on my electronics, which is why Iā€™ve tended to lean toward Thinkpads. Over the years Iā€™ve dropped them, banged them, poured water on the keyboards. Either they just keep working or IBM/Lenovo fixes them, no questions asked. I pay them for onsite repair because I know theyā€™ll do it if I need it.

My Framework is not that tough, and Framework support has not yet remotely hit that level.

Nonetheless, over the past 8 months, my Framework has been dropped and kicked around. Itā€™s traveled (unpadded in my backpack) across the States. Iā€™ve developed coursework on it in a remote jungle in Belize and run zoom classes from outdoors (during the daily downpour) in Grenada. Iā€™ve yet to damage the screen or any other part of it in the least.

Sure, Iā€™d love the battery to run longer, but Iā€™ve learned to squeeze what Iā€™ve got pretty effectively. And honestly, after a couple years of use, Iā€™m lucky if my XPS13s and Thinkpads run anywhere near as long without a battery swap, which is significantly more difficult and expensive than on the FW.

Updated Jul 17: Darn, just dropped it again. Good thing it still works.

7 Likes