ARM-based CPUs

Looks like Qualcomm might come out with an ARM snapdragon chip for laptops:

If it turns out to be any good it could be a good option for the framework team to consider

4 Likes

May even be 2024 now if we’re unlucky… https://www.extremetech.com/computing/337029-qualcomm-promises-its-new-cpus-will-aim-for-desktop-performance-leadership-but-may-not-ship-until-2024

2 Likes

Looks like they’re here already!

2 Likes

Looks like they’re horrible in comparison to x86 and M1/M2 as of right now though. Qualcomms chips just don’t seem to be powerful enough to handle anything, 30FPS in CS:GO low is just sad… Although it is promising that windows supports risc this well!

in general they are but the one @stillinbeta mentioned isn’t that bad. geekbench shows promising numbers and i would guess that most of the issues (including gaming issues) have to do with windows more than the hardware itself. one year ago apple chips felt like another universe but maybe in a couple years the market will catch up and we’ll see an option like this available on a framework.

1 Like

Wow thanks for sharing this - looks great! Completely missed this. I wonder how far out Linux support for the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 chipset is and how it runs?

Edit:
The reviewer gets on Geekbench 32GB ram: 1118, 5776
My i7 Framework gets on Geekbench, 32GB ram: 1683, 5382

So it’s not that far behind on synthetic scores and is technically ahead on multi-core!

Ooh those scores are pretty interesting. Although this doesn’t really play to x86’s advantage if I’m correct which is having dedicated instruction sets to speed up certain workloads!

1 Like

I was thinking if we go ARM, why not something like Khadas VIM4, Rock Pi or Banana Pi? Or even better, something like the HoneyComb LX2. Then again, ARM released the Cortex X3 recently, so perhaps we will see ARM based laptops in 2-3 years time as the platform begins to mature.

I’d totally buy an ARM or an OpenPOWER board. I dunno about RISC-V, the fragmentation and blob issues are offputting to me, personally (less the fact that it the implementations of it that anyone cares about because they have access to nodes below 180nm and extensions to the ISA that give it critical functionality and much faster execution or more work per cycle has have blobs [and themselves aren’t open at all] and more that despite that, it still markets itself as super open, freedom loving hardware) but I suppose even then, more architectures is better than fewer.
As long as people are realistic about RISC-V and don’t like it for reasons that may be less inherently true and more marketing inflating things, then I’m fine with it. Certainly interesting, while I’d have loved for MIPS to be still around, RISC-V is at least pretty similar to it. It might even be cool to have in a case reminiscent of an SGI workstation.

Windows NT should be portable to RISC-V easily, since the x86 and amd64 versions of it are themselves ports from the i860, and in the past has had ports to MIPS, DEC Alpha, and PowerPC. It at least was originally specifically designed for easy portability, but who knows how long it’s been since the code has really been easily portable.

1 Like

There’s the ThinkPad X13s Snapdragon…has anyone tried it?

Somewhat on sale from Lenovo Canada on via eBay with their 15% off coupon. from their website.

For example (CAD):

Really like this rather old ThinkPad promo video. I hope Framework will make a similar or better video to show the tests and decisions made over the products they make:

1 Like

That thing boots up real fast back then (with NT4).

1 Like

The X13s/ 8cx Gen3 arm that @stillinbeta posted should be supported by the Linux 5.20 aka Linux 6.0 kernel!

i wonder what the status would be, of the rest of the components of the architecture of that laptop? i have no idea about how ARM devices work but i assume that BIOS + secure boot and all that stuff might be a bit problematic on linux?

ARM doesn’t use bios or anything like that. IIRC it has a hardcoded boot sequence that looks for a bootloader at a specific location on a specific device.

Which Linus uses the M2 MacBook Air? - YouTube

Linus Torvalds Now Using a 64-bit Arm Laptop - Ditches x86 While on the Road - YouTube

I just saw news that Pine64 is shipping their laptops again. Maybe Framework could work with Pine64 so that Pine64 can develop a board that fits into the Framework.

No need for a direct support from Framework but maybe ideas of a 3rd party alternative mainboard for Framework that can use expansion cards (maybe).

What’s more, Pine64 had a hard time finding screens for their systems, so maybe this could work too.

6 Likes

Future is never certain :grinning: the US congres is now pushing more the right to repair like in Europe. Apple hzs been forced to create a page explaining how to repaire their stuff. I am not a max fan at all… But always happy to see industry moving in the right direction. Tmif the guys who invented the disposal trash are finally forced to stop it that s great.

Concerning arm laptop why not… But as open source projetct on the side. Some opensource guys using rasberyes or pine64 mayne adapting a board.
I was also thinking of the possibility to just plug my phone on usb 4 and take control of the screen and keyboard with my phone

1 Like

From what I am looking at the repair program, it seems to be making it look a lot more tedious and daunting that it really is.

I was thinking since Pine64 had issues sourcing for screens, maybe they could have adapted their RK3369 SOC to fit into the Framework. I was initially tempted to buy a PineBook Pro now that they are in stock, but after realising that it can’t even compete with like an old Toshiba Z930 with a gen 3 i7, even with more core counts, I hope the next RockChip would be loads better.

2 Likes

There is battery life. And what you do with it in real life :grin: i mean productivity. It seems that macbook m1 has a lot of the missing software from itd ecosystem…even thought they have the iphone arm world before. Which windows don t have…dince death of their smartphone os.
Reading the thinkpad review all is not perfect. And many software will not work or just lag like video games.
If you are using mostely the web it s an alternative.
Now paying 1500€ for it is a little expensive.
Risc V is even more far behind than arm.
Check pine64 and the upcoming rk3588 for arm.
https://pine64.com/product/14″-pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-ansi-us-keyboard/
I am almost certain pine64 will release aswell a risc V as soon as they madter their new risc V PCB

All in all, i think there is a big difference between making a consumer product likr FW and a tinkerer device…like pine64. Pine64 phone took 3 years to be kind of usable, and still its slow like a 2007 phone.
If this is done on the side by external companies like pine64 that woule be great

1 Like

14″ PINEBOOK Pro LINUX LAPTOP (ANSI. US Keyboard) - PINE STORE

This is limited quantity production due to a severe global electronic components shortage. Please do not order the Pinebook Pro if you’re seeking a substitute for your X86 laptop, or are just curious and you’re ordering it with an intent to file a return/refund return request. These pre-orders are meant for enthusiasts familiar with the Arm architecture and interested in the PineBook Pro for this specific reason. Thank you.

I think the note on the Pine64 website is really sincere. I like it.

3 Likes