ARM CPUs please

Sure, you’re right, the OS and all the binaries would have to be changed to their ARM compilation. (Having the user’s personal files stored in a different partition could make the switch less painful) . My question was just about the hardware level. Software obviously would change.

Framework is open to working with other vendors to provide third party mainboards. I previously suggested Pine64. Alternatively, maybe someone in the Raspberry Pi community can work to bring the RPi5 compute model with a carrier board that works with the Framework chassis.

1 Like

For the hardware level, I am not sure about it.

I hope they make a Deal with Qualcomm, the Snapdragon Elite X looks super promising and would help with power supply and consumption!

3 Likes

I love to see Framework Laptop with Linux options based on Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite X.

5 Likes

I’ll believe the Elite X hype when I see it. Qualcomm doesn’t have a good track record in this market.

From what I’m hearing, while the design of the core is quite good thanks to their Nuvia acquisition, Qualcomm has made some business decisions that may make it difficult for this product to compete; requiring OEMs to use inefficient power regulation components in an attempt to seemingly force some vertical integration.

I’m looking forward to market developments once Qualcomm’s exclusivity deal with Microsoft expires in 2024 (I believe).

1 Like

i agree with the general scepticism, but their own announcement talks about “leading OEMs” so i would assume there are a lot of negotiations under the hood. after all if the hype is somehow real if you’re dell you’d want in too. given how framework was comparatively fast at getting their hands on an unreleased new amd line of cpus (wide availability is a different story) i would not doubt that they’ve also been monitoring the situation.

4 Likes

I don’t think framework is that fast. Don’t forget that they haven’t announced Intel Meteor Lake 13/16 yet.