Batch 6 DIY - BSOD, random freeze & USB C display issues (Win 11)

Hi,

First off, i’m a big advocate for Right to Repair and a true fan of Framework laptops. I’ve been around computers for 20 years and I can say that my Framework laptop is the best laptop I ever had.

Here is my config:

• Batch 6 DIY
  • CPU: Intel i5-1135G7
  • Ram: 32 Gb Crucial (2x16 Gb) DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (CT2K16G4SFRA)
  • SSD: WD_Black SN 850 1Tb with updated firmware
  • Wifi: Intel Wifi 6E AX210 no vPro
  • Bios: 3.07 (beta)
  • Drivers: Win 11 Framework driver bundle 12_15_21 Alpha (later updated with Intel Driver Assistant)

Issues:

• Random freezes (mouse spot moving, fans start to spin but no blue screen of death (BSOD))

• Various BSOD:

• Stop code: 0xc000021a
    • Stop code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
  • When connected to a display via USB C, the display is constantly connecting/disconnecting from the laptop source (Display: LG 27UN850-W Ultrafine UHD 4K). This issue happens on every 4 ports of the laptop. However the HDMI works perfectly when plugged in the exact same display.

Questions:

• I feel this is a driver issue since i’m running Win 11 with Alpha drivers. Can i just wait for the release of new Framework Win 11 drivers to solve my issues ? Or do i need to investigate the hardware (SSD or Ram) ?
  • Could a fresh install of Windows 11 solve those bugs ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

How to fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (microsoft.com)

I would guess a hardware issue, try just 1 stick of ram if it happens again, try the other stick… that’s the easiest start anyways.

(I am also running Win11 with the “Alpha” drivers… no issues)

Do the Windows error logs say anything specific (he said knowing they rarely help)

1 Like

I’ve ordered a new pair of ram stick. Will see if it solves my freeze/BSOD issue.

I just changed my RAM but the problems persist: BSOD and random freezes that require a hard reboot.

I’m beginning to think that i have a bad unit.

Since it’s been less than 30 days since i ordered the laptop, would it be possible to ask for a new unit ?

So I’ve been plagued with BSOD for about 3 weeks now. I’m a batch 5 DIY ed. When I got the machine in early October I installed the first release of Windows 11 with the 10/29 Windows 10 driver bundle. I had zero issues for several weeks, until upgrading my BIOS to 3.07 and updating the driver pack to newly release Windows 11 bundle. I tried several permeations of Windows 10/11 installs with different driver bundles. The only thing I hadn’t tried was downgrading the BIOS. I did that last night (to 3.06) and the machine is once again rock solid so far. Framework Support said they’d make a note of it so for what it’s worth, I’d suspect 3.07 might have resolved some issues but may have created some new ones.

1 Like

Same for me. I changed my RAM, erased the SSD and made a fresh Windows 11 (home) install. Still one BSOD/freeze every hour. I’m considering returning the laptop since it’s still under warranty.

The Framework Support team is always here to help on hardware issues. You can open a support request here: Framework | Support

2 Likes

SOLVED: The root of my problems was the SDD (WD SN850). It was not a DRAM issue at all. I installed a Crucial P2 SSD and everything worked fine. No BSOD or freeze whatsoever. Even if the Crucial P2 is only a gen 3 nvme thus slower than the WD SN850 (gen 4), i don’t see any impact on my laptop. It’s very snappy with the Crucial P2. I also have installed Crucial storage executive app to keep its firmware up to date.

Thanks a lot for your support. I wish all the best to Framework :wink:

1 Like

I have been facing the equivalent issue on Fedora. I am not sure I am on batch 6 (ordered March 25) but is a diy. Also have a WD SN850. I will test another SDD to see if that resolves the freezing issues.