Battery Life?

Hi @nrp I’m also trying to investigate the HDMI expansion card.

Do you have any suggestions?

1 Like

Is there a replacement battery that I could purchase that lasts longer? Right now I am getting about five hours of battery life.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The answer is no :frowning: it has been asked before, maybe your post will be moved for further and future understanding. as you will note from above

All the best

See also

I have found that there’s a lot of variability based on configuration. For example, I get about 5h with moderate-intensity workloads* in OpenBSD, but 7 to 10 in Linux. A difference most likely being that the Linux system has power profiles configured that suit the unit better (and I have yet to figure out how to set up the same in OpenBSD).

Unfortunately I have no idea how to tweak those things in W10/11 effectively (if that is what you are using), but I’ve been led to the conclusion that configuration is a bigger “problem” than the battery.

*ie having a couple GPU-accelerated terminal sessions, compiling light applications from C source, browsing modern internet shites and so on.

Maybe via the command powercfg

1 Like

Regarding the HDMI expansion card power draw, Windows 11 has an option to “eject” the HDMI and USB A cards without physically removing them. Would this cause future issues or can I just physically remove them and plug them back in when I need them? I prefer the looks with all 4 cards plugged and would like to avoid buying cards I don’t need just to have 4 cards that don’t draw idle power.

I finally took my HDMI expansion card to none other than Louis Rossman’s repair shop (which happened to be near me) to perform the rework. Awesome place, a shoutout and thanks to the folks there.

So I guess this is the original card that the issue was discovered on, now fixed with the jumper wire and firmware upgrade (yes, I haven’t taken off the plastic film from the CNC top cover yet :S):

I confirmed that it works without excess power drain on my AMD mainboard, the new guts of my old laptop. Phoenix!

I’m looking forward to the continuing improvement of the title of this thread, and a deep, deep gratitude to y’all, the team, and all the effort involved.

4 Likes