Best eGPU for Portable Gaming Laptop?

I just confirmed my order for my Framework laptop with the following specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-1135G7
  • WiFi: Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro
  • Memory: 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 NVMe (via Amazon)

I want to use this for gaming to replace my Lenovo Y700 15ISK that I bring around when I travel. It’s bulky and overdue for an upgrade since my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M. That’s where eGPUs come in mind.

To those that have a similar mindset for their setup, what eGPU do you use?

I want something that’s portable enough when I travel and I can upgrade the graphics card over time.

After looking around for the best models, it looks like the Razer Core X is the best one out there based on review. But it’s 14+ pounds which seems impractical to carry around given my current gaming laptop is 6-7 pounds with my charger.

1 Like

Oh do I have a thread for you:

2 Likes

I actually looked at your thread first @gs1, but I’m worried that the eGPU is too exposed. There is a very compact one called the Breakaway Puck, but the GPU isn’t upgradeable.

Plus, I’ve always used NVIDIA and not too familiar with AMDs.

1 Like

As a Core X owner, you definitely do not want to haul that thing around. Outside of the weight, the dimensions are awkward.

1 Like

Agreed. After looking at various models. I’m happy to say that I settled with an
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box eGPU Case.

Instead of the NVIDIA GTX 1080 that it comes with, I went with a more powerful GPU, the EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming. Make sure you get the one that has two fans only, otherwise it won’t fit if you get the three fan model.

2 Likes

Wow, I love the size of that one! Would be easy to take to gigs. I saw this review which seems really promising, even with the 1080. Thanks for the link.

Do you already have this in hand / running on the Framework? Any chance you’re using Linux?

1 Like

I did not, this is a whole new setup compare to my integrated gaming laptop that I’m moving away from. I got the eGPU yesterday and it’s very nice and compact. Working on having this fit in my laptop case. If anything, it comes with a nice case of its own to carry separately.

Right now I’m awaiting for my new Framework laptop to ship to test it all out. I’ll try to get around and posting those results once it’s all here.

2 Likes