DisplayPort Expansion Card firmware update to reduce system power consumption

Love that a solution is coming in the form of a firmware / software. …but man, it’s been a known issue for two years? Wish I had known / been informed about this sooner.

I’m on the HDMI side of things…looking forward to the firmware update.

2 Likes

That sounds great. Will you provide a Linux executable soon?

@nrp same here, no Windows available. Is LVFS a possibility with the DP and HDMI modules?

I assume this update can be done from any Windows system that has the expansion card plugged in…and not only be done on the Framework laptop.

1 Like

Correct. Technically you can also use the Windows 10 or 11 USB installer, exit to a command prompt by hitting Shift+F10 (Fn+Shift+Airplane Mode), and then run the firmware updater from there, though that may not be appropriate for Windows licensing terms unless you own a Windows key somewhere.

4 Likes

It should be technically possible, since there is support for updating CCG3 (the PD controller in the card). This is something we are investigating.

3 Likes

What will the procedure for downgrading entail if ~for some reason~ compatibility were better on the old firmware? Would the expansion card require being connected to a monitor in order for the firmware down-grader to function. Looking forward to doing all sorts of benchmarking when Batch 3 ships out!

Great to hear, thanks!

2 Likes

While it predates the Framework laptop, I don’t suppose Hiren’s BootCD PE is able to run and install the firmware updater for people running Linux? (one can similarly boot the ISO using a standard old Ventoy USB drive).

Heck, I’ve got to wonder if the firmware can’t be installed from a non-Framework PC as long as the PC has a type-C port.

I would totally test both of these things out myself but, well, I don’t actually have a DisplayPort expansion card…

2 Likes

The original firmware is also uploaded to the Google Drive. You can downgrade without plugging in a monitor.

5 Likes

Wish I had known that unplugging the HDMI expansion card would decrease power consumption so much. I am seeing increases measured in hours. Running Ubuntu 22.04.

Any specific guidance for installing the beta firmware in linux?

Some of us here have bought 4 USB-C expansion cards for this reason…and continue to use the other expansion cards as dongles.

3 Likes

I’m glad that there’s ongoing effort to solve this resulting in a creative solution that works also on first-gen mainboards. Such a refreshing post to read and community to be a part of!

Any possible pathways to fix the slightly lower power drain with USB-A Expansion Cards?

Will test out the HDMI firmware when it comes out, and here’s to hoping this works out in the end!

3 Likes

I’m also hoping / waiting for that.

Yes, we actually have a fix currently in development for this, though don’t have a timeline yet for community beta testing of it.

13 Likes

:open_mouth: Awesome to hear, thanks for the update!

1 Like

Lovely!!

Will it be fixed in a similar style? i.e. via firmware update on the card itself, and not related to the Framework laptop?

@nrp will the source code be open source?

1 Like

It’s been a week…did anyone managed to get around to testing out the beta firmware on the DP card?

i think more would test it in the lvfs-testing remote.