DisplayPort Expansion Card firmware update to reduce system power consumption

Lovely!!

Will it be fixed in a similar style? i.e. via firmware update on the card itself, and not related to the Framework laptop?

@nrp will the source code be open source?

1 Like

Itā€™s been a weekā€¦did anyone managed to get around to testing out the beta firmware on the DP card?

i think more would test it in the lvfs-testing remote.

I just tried this, and it told me the executable file included was not compatible with the version of Windows Iā€™m running, which is just standard 64bit Win11.

1 Like

Is the source available on github under any open license? (Or even just ā€˜Source-Availableā€™ with Ā©ļø All Rights Reserved)

Thanks for this update, just a heads up to anyone wondering it doesnā€™t fix any issues with displayport adapter disconnecting when cable plugged in or any other similar issues with the DP adapter not working. @nrp has Framework confirmed the intermittent DP issues is a known issue?

1 Like

Could you reach out to our Support team?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, this is one we donā€™t have visibility on ourselves. The world of PC peripheral ICs is filled with opaque firmware.

5 Likes

Ah, sorry, I should have tested this path before suggesting it. An LVFS update path is still on development roadmap.

4 Likes

As I alluded to previously, I donā€™t suppose it could work when ran from Hirenā€™s BootCD PE which is basically just Win10 PE with extra bundled software utilities (e.g. 7zip, Macrium Reflect Free, etc)?

Do note that you may or may not need to copy the EXE onto the desktop first in order to run it.

(protip; the ISO is also compatible with Ventoy)

2 Likes

I looked at that, it appears to be 64bit as well. The issue is seems to be that WinPE for 64bit canā€™t run 32bit software. Which the bundled updater appears to be.

Should be noted that this will be a non-issue for a properly installed version of Windows or for a Windows-To-Go instance.

You sure about that? Iā€™m able to run software that is definitely 32bit in Hirenā€™s BootCD PE; I quickly confirmed this with the simple stand-alone EXE program ā€œHeader Investigatorā€ which itself predates 64bit Windows:
http://www.railjonrogut.com/HeaderInvestigator.htm

Heck, according to the task manager, even the included copy of GPU-Z is 32bit (in fact it doesnā€™t seem like a 64bit of GPU-Z even exists on the internet).

I donā€™t know what to tell you. The WinPE shipped in the Windows 11 64bit ISO refused to run the updater claiming it was incompatible, assumed it was because 32bit.

I will admit I didnā€™t test it with Hirenā€™s BootCD because I assumed itā€™d give me the same error since its still just WinPE at the end of the day

Any update regarding the beta release of the HDMI cardā€™s firmware? ETA?

5 Likes

In progress. We have a version that puts the HDMI card into a suspend state, but doesnā€™t put it back into a state where HDMI works, which is not so useful. Weā€™ll share the firmware as soon as it is ready.

17 Likes

This is really great to hear this is being actively worked on - would it be possible in the future to share what fixes/ improvements Framework are working on/planning to work on?

Perhaps I missed it but this topic and a mention in the linux battery life thread are the first Iā€™m aware of this even being acknowledged or actively being and worked on. Having to hunt down comments in long topics doesnā€™t seem a very easy way to keep abreast of the work being done.

2 Likes

Linux support is definitely something I would like to see for this update. Iā€™ve been doing extensive analysis of power usage of various parts of the Framework laptop and Iā€™d be happy to rerun those tests with a beta versionā€¦

3 Likes

I know this FW update was not intended to correct my specific issue but I didnā€™t have anything to lose.

I have been having problems with the DP card and a 12th Gen board. I have tried two DP cards and the first one would freeze and then shutdown my laptop. The second one would connect unreliably. Both cards would randomly connect and disconnect themselves from my Windows 11 install. The second card was provided after contacting Framework support.

In a ā€œwhy not try itā€ moment, I downloaded the FW updated and applied it to the first card which gave me the most and repeatable trouble. So far, so good. No freezes or shutdowns.

One thing I would like to note. Framework provided the ā€œoriginalā€ FW in case you need to revert back. I noticed that the version currently on one card appears to be 3.0.17.5, which is odd that the revert FW provided is version 6. Seems the FW on the card is older than what is considered the original FW. Perhaps Iā€™m reading the information incorrectly.

Thank you.

4 Likes

UPDATE: Well, I was wrong about having nothing to lose. Initially the FW update seemed to correct my problem, even though my issue was not the one listed here, as the DP card did not cause my laptop to freeze or shutdown. However, the DP card also stopped responding correctly. I figured Iā€™d rollback to the ā€œoriginalā€ FW but the software just bricked the card instead. Now the card is not visible to the OS and so I canā€™t apply either FW update. :face_exhaling: Oh well, HDMI it is then!!

3 Likes