[GUIDE] LVFS Fingerprint Reader Firmware for Framework Laptop 13, 13th Gen Intel Core & AMD 7040 Series fingerprint reader on Fedora 39 and Ubuntu 22.04

I did not use snap because I found the documentation on how to roll back the fwupd version directly for flatplak and not for snap or my package manager.

Just to make sure: using fwupd 1.9.10 worked for you on your replacement input kits?

I’m a fan of lvfs and would really like to see it working for the Framework for all the firmware related updates.
I’d be happy to help.

Shout-out to Matt for setting the parameters and giving clear instructions. Alas, I am already on (K)unbuntu 23 and don’t want to revert so I’m not directly participating. My installed firmware is 3.19.

My system is dual boot and ever since I first got my Framework13 it has appeared that only one OS can “own” the fingerprint reader, either Windows11 or Linux (I have 2 OSs installed).

I can report that it appears to still be that way. If fp works on Windows and I configure it on Linux it stops working in Windows (but does work fairly well in Ubuntu 23, fwiw). Since I prefer fp on Windows I reverted.

Does Matt or anyone have insight into whether this ownership limit will persist (because security, duh) or will it get resolved so that the hardware can be shared but securely?

Is it normal to receive this error?

fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing

(/snap/fwupd/5438/bin/fwupdmgr:4171): Fwupd-CRITICAL **: 18:29:23.377: fwupd_checksum_guess_kind: assertion 'checksum != NULL' failed

Stlil failing:

name@name-framework:~$ fwupdmgr get-devices 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3
Selected device: Fingerprint Sensor
Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040Series)
│
└─Fingerprint Sensor:
      Device ID:          23ec719b6aabc2d2dac5176c232f0da7a21881b0
      Summary:            Match-On-Chip fingerprint sensor
      Current version:    01000320
      Vendor:             Goodix (USB:0x27C6)
      Install Duration:   10 seconds
      Serial Number:      UIDXXXXXXXX_XXXX_MOC_B0
      GUID:               1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3 ← USB\VID_27C6&PID_609C
      Device Flags:       • Updatable
                          • Device can recover flash failures
                          • Signed Payload
      Device Requests:    • Image

name@name-framework:~$ fwupdmgr get-updates 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3
Devices with no available firmware updates: 
 • Fingerprint Sensor
No updatable devices
name@name-framework:~$ fwupdmgr update 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3
 • WD BLACK SN770 500GB
 • Fingerprint Sensor
No updatable devices

Thank you so much, this looks like exactly what I need. But, after fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing I get Failed to connect to daemon: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd: Unit fwupd.service not found.

Just received my Framework 13 Ryzen. I am running Kubuntu and I also run into the “No update available” message.

bolk@Kubuntu-Framework-13:~$ fwupdmgr get-updates 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3
 • Fingerprint Sensor
No updatable devices

Is there any other way to update the firmware without reinstalling the O/S? In the meantime I will try to USB boot live versions of other distro’s.

Edit: managed to make it work by following this guide and manually download the .cab file: Updating Fingerprint Reader Firmware on Linux for 13th Gen and AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Laptops

It all works until fwupdmgr get-devices 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3. After that I get a screen that looks similar to the one of Matt_Hartley, but slightly different:

I suspect that at this point I am already on the wrong track. I tried everything. Erasing and reinstalling Ubuntu, retracing exactly the steps described. Nothing worked.

Was able to get it working by following this guide. Will I need to do anything in the future to make sure the fingerprint reader takes new updates?

2 Likes

Quick update:

NOTE: Folks, if you find you’re on FP reader firmware 01000248, you do not need to do anything. This is for those on 01000320 only as we need to get you to 01000330.

For those who have not been successful, please recheck the following:

• Ubuntu 22.04.3 or Fedora 39, not Ubuntu 23.10.
  • Ubuntu 22.04.3 users, you are certain you are only using the Snap version.
  • Fedora 39 users, make sure you followed the steps to roll back your fwupd version.
1 Like

Seems like I spoke too soon. It worked at first, but now won’t recognize my fingerprint. Going to enroll a finger shows:

Might be a coincidence, but I’ve now experienced two full system freezes, where I’m forced to hold the power button to cause a hard reboot. This hadn’t happened prior to yesterday.

Try to re-enroll it again. The hardware appears to be detected, but enrolling a fingerprint is a tricky endeavor for some fingers. Mine for example have a tough time if too oily or too dry even.

Fingerprint reader is working on KDE Neon. The firmware updated through Discover. After a couple of re-boots, I had to run sudo pam-auth-update and now it’s working :grinning:.

1 Like

What I hope may be my definitive contribution to this thread. Same setup, Windows11 and Ubuntu 23.10. Short version: I have finger prints working for login on both OSs with a specific limit.

The fingerprint reader works fine in Windows for login and fine in Ubuntu for login and sudo. What does NOT work is trying to use the same finger! I have one for each and that has been consistent and functional for a week.

I infer that, yes, the fp hardware must save a copy of each finger. It is a security violation (I conclude) to try and allow the same finger to be valid on all systems. When I think of silo’ing the fp’s in the reader that seems to make sense.

Whatever else the case, I actually have fingerprint login on both my hosts. Pleased

1 Like

I can confirm that using a different finger in each OS has worked for me as well, dual-booting. I don’t have things set up currently to boot three or more OSes, but I would assume that using a unique finger for each OS would work. So, we are limited to 10 OSes. I’m not sure if I find that to be an acceptable limitation (joking!).

1 Like

Awesome to hear this! :raised_hands:

This is absolutely helpful, thank you!

For those still having issues, it seems that everything has been fixed upstream as stated here :

Still this version has to be packaged by the distros (hopefully real soon for fedora)

Yep, Fedora 40. Details here: fwupd - Fedora Packages

On testing, it is already available on Fedora 39 as of today :tada: :partying_face:

Niiiice!

I’m on Fedora 40, and when I used distro-sync, the fwupdit put me on showed no available updates when following the steps in this post. After re-upgrading it back to the latest (with the lvfs-testing repo enabled), I was able to install the firmware update no problem. I’m guessing based on the above posts this is expected, but just in case it helps anyone…