BIOS guide

Because no one could give some information, I searched on my own. Long story short:

• Intel TXT: Dont use it. It’s useful for IT administration for devices like servers and workstations and not for normal use cases
  • Standalone Operation: same.
  • Supervisor Password: can be used as BIOS only or Pre-Boot
  • Chassis Intrusion Detection: same as above. Only useful for IT administration, servers and Workstations where multiple people have access to. Just keep it off.

But the TPM Option… man there are some long snaky options to select and no further explanation. Here, a further explanation by the Framework guys or any expert would be great.

1 Like

TPM operation is a bit confusing. It’s more like a button (where selecting something performs an action) rather than a configuration setting.

You can think of it more like, “what will be done to the TPM when I hit save?” Things like “reset it” or “disable SHA1”. You don’t need to perform these actions unless you are having a specific issue with the TPM.

sneaky

There are some technical terms in the operation menu, but I wouldn’t call them sneaky. What are you referring to?

EDIT: oh, you said “snaky”. Sorry!

I added the section of the Framework Laptop 13 Intel 13th Gen.

Does anyone who bought the Framework Laptop 13 Intel 13th Gen, could you run the following commands, and share the result on Linux? I want to know the BIOS vendor and the initial BIOS version just in case.

$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-vendor
$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version
1 Like

There you go:

INSYDE Corp.
4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

@junaruga it’s actually 03.04 on my fresh 13th gen i7-1370P.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the information. The BIOS version 03.04 on Intel 13 gen is not documented in Framework’s BiOS page.

@junaruga another interesting thing: I got a modern GUI (not the grey/blue UI like in the screenshots in the first post) in the BIOS if I plug in an external screen.

@Jean-Marc_Le_Roux what do you mean with “if I plug an external screen?” I get a modern UI no matter what / nothing plugged in, in the integrated display:

All BIOS screens on the 13th gen appear like that. The 11th gen and 12th gen are the older type.

Note the same information is displayed.

Hell, I’d not complain if we could get that look backported to 11/12th gen BIOS screen. It looks rather nice. Is that a possibility?

I updated the Framework Laptop 13, 11 Gen Intel Core, the current latest version to 3.19 now.

2 Likes

Hi, there,
Is there a way to tell the keyboard LEDs to turn off after 15sec (or more) and turn back on when the mouse moves or a key is pressed (like on Macbook)?
Thanks, have a nice day,

There is! Now I need to go find the script that enables that feature…

Edit: Found it

2 Likes

Hi, there,
Thanks, but I’m on Windows.
Do you know of a solution on this OS?
Thank you,

@Gaillard_Jean-Michel I don’t know of one off the top of my head but examining how the script mentioned works would be a good place to start and see if any other programs expose similar functionality

I added Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series) to the first comment on this thread.

1 Like

Hi, Framework Laptop (FL) 13 AMD Batch 1 folks who are already using Fedora 39 or Ubuntu on FL 13 AMD, can you share the results of the following dmidecode commands?

If you are using Fedora 39, you can install the dmidecode command by the following command.

$ sudo dnf install dmidecode

Then you can print the BIOS vendor and version by the following commands.

F39 prerelease running 6.5.6-300.fc39.x86_64:

Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
Version: 03.02
Release Date: 09/27/2023
Address: 0xE0000

product: AMD Ryzen 5 7640U w/ Radeon 760M Graphics
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 25.116.1
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the result from the sudo dmidecode! The BIOS is InsydeH2O UEFI BIOS, right? I think you can check it on the BIOS page before booting OS.