BIOS guide

It seems that the AMD Batch 2’s BIOS version is still 3.02.

Just wondering, I got a batch 2 mainboard 2 days ago and it has 3.02. Should I update to 3.03 now or wait until the official release?

3.03 Beta still hasn’t released, but when it does the answer would be that you can upgrade to it if you are willing to beta test the new BIOS, but if any potential issues would be a deal breaker, it would be best to wait until after it is out of beta.

Thanks! I will keep an eye out, I am willing to test and report back.

Awesome. You’ll want to be tracking the official thread for the 3.03 BIOS here

1 Like

I added Framework Laptop 13 AMD BIOS 3.03 downloading page link to the first comment.

2 Likes

Thanks, Just updated will start testing a few things.

Hello. Saw that BIOS 3.19 is available for my 11th gen Framework 13. However, the Linux image still says ‘coming soon’. Any ETA on when it will be GA? I don’t have Windows.

Thanks!

No official timeline, but Framework had updates for the AMD boards and 12th gen Intel boards that are higher priority than this at the time. They are working on getting it ready for Linux, but until then if you absolutely need the changes made in the 3.19 BIOS, it is recommended to create a Windows To-Go USB Drive to do the install or wait until the firmware team is able to get the Linux version of the BIOS out.

You can install it using Hiren’s BootCD. Boot it standalone from a stick (changes are saved), or the ISO via Ventoy (are not).

1 Like

Thanks, will give that a try. Ventoy + BootCD seems to be just the ticket.

Note, Windows boot CDs may not properly update ME (see the 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release - #49 by Jeremy_Fitzhardinge and the followon comments about CSME).

@Stebalien Oh, thank you. I didn’t catch that. We will have to wait for a Linux installer with only the other fw parts up to date.

I am hunting for a way to receive notifications of new BIOS updates. Perhaps there is a forum thread I could subscribe to for this purpose, but I can’t find it.

There is another post above on this subject. I thought I was replying to it, but apparently I may only reply to the whole topic.

I think that I received an email a long time ago regarding the importance of updating from 3.06 to 3.07. But I haven’t seen any notification since then, and there is now a 3.19.

A number of support documents warn that updating BIOS may destroy some boot methods, e.g.:

Updating the BIOS firmware will erase NVRAM boot variables, This can cause some alternate bootloaders or operating systems to fail to boot. This may impact users of rEFInd and some Linux distributions.

The instructions for repairing a GRUB installation appear to require some sort of rescue system on external storage, which one ought to prepare before the BIOS update.

A clearer collected bit of advice would help.

I am running Ubuntu Studio 23.10 Mantic Minotaur on an 11th Gen Intel Core from Framework Batch 5 received in December 2021. If someone knows the specific risk associated with that combination that would help me a lot.

I have some neurological problems limiting the span of my concentration. I got through a DIY build, install and many updates of Ubuntu Studio. But, the complexity of the BIOS update possibilities is going just beyond my threshhold, and I still have the Version 3.06 that I was encouraged to update, and which now could be 3.19.

There is a 3.19 BIOS update for the 11th gen. 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release

The 3.06 BIOS is for the 12th gen. 12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

There is a 3.19 BIOS update for the 11th gen. 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 release

The 3.06 BIOS is for the 12th gen. 12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

To clarify: The 11th Gen shipped in 2021 with 3.06 BIOS. The latest BIOS for 11th Gen appears to be 3.19. So there are still some 3.06 versions on 11th Gen that ought to be updated.

You could use a monitoring service that notifies you of changes on a page to get an alert when the BIOS page changes.
I use https://visualping.io/, but there are others out there, often free for small number of watches.

1 Like

I got a 13th gen intel chip a month or two ago, and didn’t touch the bios.

sudo dmidecode -s bios-version is 03.03

@GhostLegion

There is! Now I need to go find the script that enables that feature…

Edit: Found it

I had the keylightd script installed when I got my 12th Gen Intel, just upgraded to Ryzen 7040 series, and it’s now broken. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no dice.

Any advice?