Brightness controls not working within openSUSE KDE

I installed openSUSE Tumbleweed on my Framework, but I can’t adjust the brightness with the brightness keys for some reason. This is the case with fnlock off or on. (A.K.A using the “F” functions as the main functions, or the system controls as the main functions.) Is there a way I could fix this issue?

System info:

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20221018
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.99.0
Qt Version: 5.15.6
Kernel Version: 6.0.2-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 16 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1240P
Memory: 15.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
Manufacturer: Framework
Product Name: Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core)
System Version: A4

1 Like

Greetings.

Do the other keys work ? Like Volume Uo / Down for example ?

Also had the same problem, this fix might help:

Yes, all the other function keys worked. What you showed me seemed to fix the issue, thanks.

If you don’t mind me asking, would you happen to know what I would have to do to allow the ambient light sensor to work? As currently it doesn’t seem to be working. (At least in KDE anyway)

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge and as of this post, it is not possible to have ambient light sensor and xf86 monitor brightness key control. It is either one or the other.

The synthesis of what I have read across this forum, the Reddit and Discord communities regarding that issue is that getting ambient light sensing to work on Linux would require some work at both the Framework Embedded Controller because of how the xf86MonBrightness keys are tied to the ambient light sensor control. It might also require some additional support from the Linux kernel itself.
So you will probably have to wait for the next firmware updates for the 12th gen.

Best of luck.

Ok. I was just asking because the ambient light sensor didn’t seem to be working at all within kde. Even before I made that blacklist to get the brightness keys working. But to be honest, after I got the brightness keys working, I looked up how to get auto brightness working, and the arch wiki told me about a package I had to install to do so. I can’t remember if zypper said that the needed package was already installed or not, so maybe I will just remove the blacklist and see if the auto brightness starts working and then go from there. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

If you saw what I just posted I am sorry for bothering you again. I am pretty sure I figured it out. The iio-sensor-proxy package is running in the background adjusting my brightness, there just isnt a graphical way to tell from within KDE.

1 Like