BSOD at random times

Oh, I think I see your problem, now. You’re not running LInux!
;o)

Yup, ran Puppy years ago, but need my Windows computer for work related stuff.

Nick

OK, I checked with one of the Seamonkey (aka Netscape Communicator, aka Mozilla Suite) developers. This is what he had to say about Seamonkey 32 bit:

The x86 SeaMonkey is compiled with clang 11 and the 64 bit one with VS2019 16.11 so there are differences. If you run with 4GB oder preferably 8GB or more I suggest switching to the x64. But in any case a real live BSOD is something not SeaMonkey. Usually hardware or driver related. Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date and maybe run a memtest. The x86 might use system code in a different location from the x64.

Nick

Well, that didn’t work out well at all. Ran Memtest86 off a usb stick and it borked the MBR. Cannot boot at all and do not have a recovery disk. Any ideas much appreciated.

Tks

Nick

Anybody? I created a USB disk with Rufus and a Windows 10 ISO. I told it it MBR, Is this the way to recreate the MBR?

Nick

Appreciate your responding here. To be sure, as I am not that technical:

Can I use Media Creation Tool 21H1 to create a bootable usb stick and from there get my boot partition back? And my data will not be removed?

P.S. Have used Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB Stick. Have yet to try it out. Any thoughts?

Tks,

Nick

Random User,

Really appreciate your posts here. I’m struggling. Perhaps it is because I started with IBM 360s and teletype and punch cards as the input device and thought the C: prompt with all I would ever need. I created a USB boot stick with Media Creator, but as far as I can tell, it won’t let me update. It seems to insist on a fresh install from scratch. So I still don’t have a boot option in the BIOS for the hard drive. I am at a loss on how to proceed. Perhaps try Rufus again.

Tks,

Nick

@Nicholas_C_DeBord - hopefully if you follow the steps in this article
https://recoverhdd.com/blog/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-10.html
you can repair your efi partition and get back on your feet. What error do you get now when you try to boot?

OK, I was in Mexico for awhile. Got back and bit the bullet and started over from scratch. Still getting BSOD and not sure about the RAM stick. Going to talk to support, but may give up the ghost and return this laptop and go elsewhere.

Nick

A mea culpa. Either the new motherboard or getting a second 16g stick, thereby getting optimal results from the memory sticks as Framework, it seems, prefers dual channel usage, has been the key.

No new bsods. No new memory errors. Got the second stick yesterday, have run a couple of Memtest64 iterations (eight loops) and no errors reported. Also ran Window 10’s mem test and it showed zero errors. More importantly, so far no BSODs. So, conclusions? Not a clue, except the motherboard issue. Above my pay grade. So far, so good… knock on wood.

Nick

1 Like

I spoke too soon. Just got a new BSOD:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff8026dd283cb, 0xfffff98a70ae6310,
0x0000000000000000)

*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff8026ddf72e0 base at 0xfffff8026da00000 DateStamp
0x272315a8

Well, finally resolution to my random bsods. It was the 16g Crucial RAM stick. Am getting a replacement for it. Bought a new 16g Crucial from Framework and it works perfectly, so all good now.

Nick

1 Like

Just want to close off this thread. I got an RMA from Framework for the bad RAM module from Crucial. Today the replacement RAM module showed up and I installed it. (I bought a second 16g stick from Framework). Everything good. Ran Memtest64 and this is what it showed:

Module 0:
DDR4, 16384 MB, 64-bit, 3200 MHz
Controller0-ChannelA-DIMM0 BANK 0 Crucial Technology CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FRS
Module 1:
DDR4, 16384 MB, 64-bit, 3200 MHz
Controller1-ChannelA-DIMM0 BANK 0 Crucial Technology CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FRS

0.000: Detecting usable memory (32551 MB theoretical max)…
28.203: 27200 MB Test starting on 8 CPUs…
28.203: Allocating memory…
45.203: Memory locking failed (might be reserved by other apps/kernel)
53.031: Test finished with no errors detected

All good. Will ship the bad module to Framework so they can get reimbursement for it

Nick

1 Like

I am so glad you were able to get your issue resolved and are happy :orange_heart:

1 Like

BeeAPeach,

Yes, quite happy!

The promise of Framework was infinitely configurable laptop with parts that could be swapped out oh so easily. Lucky me, I tested that from the beginning. After much testing, the motherboard from the original laptop was bad. Module 0 or was it Module 1 for RAM was bad. So replacement motherboard. Of course, Murph’s Law always applies, so the RAM stick was also bad. But just think if this had been a conventional laptop? I used to be handy with a solder gun, but am not enamored of repeating that experience anytime soon, now that I’ve reached Universal Hair Color age.

Having worked in the industry as a writer and editor for many moons, the hardest job for a startup like Framework is the documentation, particulary when you are a step by step, module product. The second hardest thing is success. IF you are successful out of the starting gate, you have to ramp up and hire, hire, hire. Now you have growing pains.

Anyhow I’m happy now. Will address the issue of BIOS next (I have 3.0) Am used to having BIOS updates through Windows, so will tread gingerly here when I have the spare time to think it through. (In my dotage, I’m a grant writer (or is that seeker?) and Brooklyn is my stomping grounds.

Nick

Random User,

You saw that too? Am a big fan of MalwareBytesPremium. I’ve had it for so long that I’m grandfathered into permanent membership! FWIW, I did not go for recover HDD this time around!

NIck