Can framework make a modular docking station?

I don’t really follow what this is supposed to do exactly.

The tech exists, just needs to be put together, it’s just very expensive. Maybe not as expensive as doing it in an fpga but that’s not a high bar.

Finding a workaround to the problem of FPGAs needing to be programmed.

It would almost certainly be too expensive to deploy at scale on the product itself but you could potentially create a system of either hardware and/or software that records and interprets logic based on an input signal. Then the system could build a logic gate arrangement that passes the signal successfully. Then you deploy the arrangement.
The expense is real but increasing the product lifecycle could be worth the expense.

Sorry. I got us off track again. My inner scientist can’t help but hypothesize.

Programmed to do what exactly?

An FPGA inside a dock or KVMP programmed to give the I/O modules the support they need to interface with devices.

an fpga capable of doing even just usb3.2 let alone usb4 or usb4.2 (if you want future proofness) is going to be eyewateringly expensive if it is even available for consumer products.

I also don’t really see how it would help.

Unltimately for a dock you need general io which can go through usb (usb, networking, audio, whatever) and display which can go through displayport. So you could technically make a backplane that takes usb4 and breaks it out to evenly spaced usb ports that can take modules for whatever you want and displayport you can either use directly or as hdmi or dvi or vga or whatever through adabters. Would not be cheap but not like ultra expensive.

Then when a never usb4 standard comes out you really need you can just replace the backplane (mabe just the usb+1 displayport section and have the multi displayport section be a separate module).

But ultimately I just don’t really see the use case here, you can just keep using a dock until you requirements change and then you’ll need a new one anyway. Thunderbolt docks already have a lot of longevity because they are forward compatible, you can still use og thunderbolt 1 docks with modern hardware (and somewhat expensive adapters) as long as the capabilities are enough for you.