Charging while displaying on monitor

Hey,

nit sure if this is an issue with my monitor, just normal behaviour, or an issue with framework.

I connect my FWn13 (Amd 7840u) via USB-C to my monitor (Dell Ultrasharp 49, 5120x1440).

The monitor claims to load with 90W via USB-C.

Thing is when connected i get about 24 FPS in a Benchmark (Age of Empiresn2 DE, dont ask :wink:

When i connect an additional USB-C (100W cable and PU) I get 10 frames more consistently.

What is happening there?

I usually used the USB-C on the back right side to connect with the monitor.

90W is a weird value for usb-c might be a dell only thing. A lot of dell stuff offer faster charging with dell stuff than with others, check if it actually gives you the 90W and not 65 or even less. Also make sure the cable is rated for 100W, those need e-markers.

90W is what the manual sais for the (only) USB-C-Port. But even if it would be 65 W. Thats what the FW13-Charger is, so it should be more than enough. The cable is XAOSUN USB4 mit Thunderbolt 4 Kabel 240W, certified 40Gbps PD3.1

It actually does need to dip into battery on a 65W psu if you load it hard enough but it should not hurt performanc too much, can you still check what it negotiated?

Well that sounds confidence inspiring XD, do you have a copy of said certificate?

Sure, this one was expensive.

But I also tried the 100 Watt Dell Cable with the same result. Less FPS when display and loading on the same port (back, right side).

Might this be a heat issue on the framework?

So its easier for the machine when one port just gives display and another loading (both on right side)?

What, you don’t trust the legendary XAOSUN? They have an amazon store, though. Business Name: 11 random words strung together into one. Which google has never heard of.

It’s a known problem that amazon couldn’t care less about. Sellers create an account with a random name, buy a ton of good reviews to pump up their listings in the results, sell junk, then when real reviews eventually bring them down they just ditch the account, and start over with a new one.

Not sure why there is an urge to shit on chinese goods when different cables get you the same result.

Also I have zero reason to trust european and north american manufacturers more. If you do i recommend the reviews of Louis Rossmann…

Also I dont see whats random with the name? All those words have a meaning and european/USA manifacturer sell exactly with the same tags. Not sure if you need a multi million marketing campaign to be seen legit by you like apple (and their great never failing products!) but then I wonder how you end up buying framework, that noone btw ever heard of in the real world.

Following your logic its most likely “the world famous” Framework which usb-c cards might not deliver… At least I dont have a certificate, so case closed… Maybe even chinese people involved in production, god forbid!

I’m not sure there are many non-Chinese cables and if they are not involved at some production level I would be very surprised.

Still I would choose to support European and north American manufacturers as it is easier for me to call to complain, and they understand the same language and ethics.

90W from an F13 USBC, definitely a struggle

Wow, I’m just stupid. After testing one thousand cable configurations and not being able to reconstruct the + 10 FPS I tool a look at the AMD-Software.

The difference is not the cable but me resetting the amd adrenaline software which I must have done at the same time or theres some kind of autoswitching.

When “Hypr-RX” is activated for AoE2 DE i get around 10 FPS less in the benchmark. Setting it to “Default” boost the FPS from around 24 to 34. Thats like super weird.

Unfortunately the cable situation is a huge mess right now, a lot of no-name cables are perfectly fine but even more of them aren’t so a bit of suspicion is warranted.

Disclaimer: Most my usb-c cables are no-name chinesium but I have the equipment to test them and a lot of them are lying in one way or another.

1 Like

The vast majority of cables are likely made in china, the difference is whether the brand selling it is a known established brand, hopefully with some kind of reputation. It’s become the quickest way to weed out overpriced products on amazon more likely to lie about specs.

And certs that aren’t just “trust me bro”

1 Like