Community reviews

I just wanted to share that I have been overall very happy with my framework i5 diy version after two weeks. The real challenge that I’ve experienced so far is that since I ordered the DIY version and a full retail version of Windows 10, I have been the one who has to make all of the battery tweaks, usb connection configurations, and basically all of the OS configuration and optimization myself. While I’ve been more accustomed to doing this in the ATX form factor with new hardware, this is my first time on what’s essentially a custom laptop. I enjoy learning about the available OS’s and how they interact with the hardware and am excited about being an early adopter and providing feedback to make the product better over time.

My expectations were actually exceeded by the overall fit and finish of the product and quality feel and user experience. While I’ve had some minor frustrations and bugs to work through along the way (like you would with any PC build), I am very happy.

7 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099DF4P2T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what i use

2 Likes

Not much new to say but I received my framework laptop some weeks ago. I was expecting a good device, but I am pleasantly surprised, it is more powerfull that expected. I have got a desktop pc with a good CPU and GPU for 3 or 4 years.

In the CPU intensive tasks, like video editing and such, the framework is better and quicker at exporting those videos. Obviously the framework gets hotter (85°c approx.) and my desktop pc doesn’t overcome 60°c with a noctua air cooler.

The lack of GPU makes it less performing in games and real time 3d work, but not as much as I thought. Even for “big” games, if I drop down the resolution and set the graphic parameters as « low » it work quite well.

The screen (love 3:2 aspect ratio, it is weird to get to a 16/9 one), keyboard and trackpad are really great, the sound is OK not super powerfull but good. I have a macbook pro for my work and I dislike it a lot, it is slow, irritating closed and I have ever found the keyboard to be really annoying to use. The trackpad is also quite « sticky », never understood what people love so much about them :slight_smile: , I find that my fingers don’t slide easily on the surface, the framework is way more enjoyable to use for me.
The small form factor is so cool, even more with this tiny power supply.

I think that it is a great device, with evolution and personalisation in mind at is core, and I hope that framework will continue on the long run, I am really happy to have get one !
I’m probably a little biased, but I love the enthusiasm of this team, that’s my feedback on it !

5 Likes

Similarly here as before, I am very happy with my purchase of the framework, which I received about 2 weeks ago. Previously, I was rocking a Lenovo Thinkpad T440p, which I had purchased used, but the hardware basically is from over 6 years ago so there was definitely some speed up to be expected. Yet I was blown away by just how much faster and better the framework felt. The combination of framework + arch + gnome41 and how well the finger gestures work is stunning.

Putting the entire thing together was trivial, as only RAM and SSD need to be put in. It was really nice to get to see the guts of the laptop though, and I can’t express how much I loved being able to buy a laptop without having to pay for a fucking windows license.

The screen was a bit smaller than I expected, but the aspect ratio suits me as a developer very well, as vertical screen space reigns supreme. The screen in general is also very nice to use. Besides coding and compiling, I also played some light games. Basically if it’s anything 2d, you’ll be able to run it no problem. Stuff like Celeste, CrossCode, 1 step from eden run smooth as they can. For more graphically intense titles you’ll likely need to reduce the detail level a bit, the few I owned and that I tested I had to go to medium settings with. Which I’m perfectly happy with, given that I didn’t even expect to be able to do any gaming on it.

The keyboard feels perfect. On the Lenovo I had the occasional miss while typing. Here I often think I missed the key, only to find that I hit it perfectly. It’s ideal and honestly wowed me.

What I didn’t consider was that you don’t get fillers/placeholders if you do not buy expansion cards, which I had assumed I would. Which is fine, my bad, I’ll just have to wait until the marketplace in Europe opens to buy a few.

What I can’t quite get to work though is the fingerprint reader on gnome. I mean, it works, but whether it recognizes my fingerprint or not is very hit or miss, I’d say around 20% chance that it recognizes it correctly. I’m semi-certain though that’s either a software issue or a configuration issue which would be a problem on my end rather than the frameworks.

I’m slightly saddened that I seem to only get around 5:30-6:00 h of use out of the framework while under light usage (browsing + youtube), but it’s an “alright” amount of battery life to me overall. A drawback I happily pay for a product with a philosophy that I can support.

5 Likes

Framework logo on the super key?
That would be cool and should have been done.

IIRC it’s something about Windows and OEM licenses. IE they require OEMs to ship a Windows key.

don’t quote me on this, I might be totally misremembering lol