Converting Framework 13 to a FrankenPad

With chil

With childish behavior too. Feel free to leave if you are not interested.

1 Like

I am interested which is why I am here.

1 Like

@Frankie_Wild I don’t think @Adrian_Joachim Meant any offense although the use of autism could be seen as a pejorative even if it wasn’t intended that way. May I suggest that you edit your comment @Adrian_Joachim ?

1 Like

Definitely wasn’t, I see it as a positive to neutral term, edited, though I don’t really know any term that means quite the same.

2 Likes

No worries guys. It wasn’t about a word used but rather the general idea that we are not aiming for Thinkpad quality and not taking it seriously.

On a separate note I think the keyboard mod will not be allowed on the marketplace so everyone has to do it at his own will. It’s quite easy anyway. So the focus will be on the cases which can be sold on the marketplace with FW branding. The important part is that the chassis will be designed so that it can accommodate the desired keyboard mod. Mostly just increasing slightly x and z axis and using different materials.

I started this thread precisely because these brainstorming sessions make the idea clearer with each comment.

2 Likes

Hi,
there is already this topis with similar target:

I aim for old ThinkPad with AMD mainboard and custom keyboard, ideally with Kailh Choc switches. Trackpoint works fine with QMK firmware, I tried it. A suitable target is T410s or T410, last old ThinkPads with 16:10 displays. HiDPI 16:10 14" screen is available (B140QAN04). It can be connected using https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046726903.html for now. Direct connection to mainboard may come later.

There is also solution for the power button: Input connector shim - for power switch, USB 2.0 and LEDs

Anybody interested to cooperate?

3 Likes

It’s the opposite way actually since you are stuck with custom old chassis. Each time probably a different one. In my case I want to stick to Framework direction and simply focus on different cases while being part of the ecosystem, relying on a steady flow of parts and a marketplace. It’s a guarantee for the future and a standard to stick to.

2 Likes

@Frankie_Wild have you set up a github repo or similar yet?

1 Like

Nope, basing it on @Captain_Pumpkinhead repository for the time being since I am not a CAD designer.

2 Likes

The similarity is in intention to use Framework mainboard outside of its original case. It will be great if there’s a thicker case available, I will definitelly follow the progress here.

3 Likes

I really hope they release the full case cad at some point to make custom printed cases a lot easier.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool, but please keep in mind this model is far from finished. The basic dimensions for the bezel should be right, but it lacks any of the details on the backside (like slots for the magnets, the little tabs and such, etc). Everything else is in an even more primitive state.

5 Likes

Thanks, I had a consultation with a 3d printing company and it seems the only way to go for the time being is by simply buying the DIY version and 3d scanning it all. Do you think that would lead to same as original models?

1 Like

Still you are doing good important work, and the part that does exist is pretty neat.
Good work, keep it up.

Unlikely to get you something you can actually use to model off but can help getting measurements for a reconstruction.

Though if you want to go entirely different like I think you do you could use the standalone case as a starting point since in the case of a t440 none of the dimensions match even remotely anyway.

2 Likes

I mentionted T440 only in terms of materials and look and feel. The dimensions and overall reconstruction will be only to enlarge slightly the existing FW case.

1 Like

What’s the point of a 3d scanner if it can’t reproduce it fully to the original 3d model?

1 Like

That is a good question, for organic stuff you can just use it mostly but for mechanical stuff it is mostly just helpful as a guide to create an actual model from.

2 Likes

Novena did this in 2014 with their Heirloom Laptop, though their implementation was absurdly thick and absurdly expensive.

Using a ThinkPad laptop keyboard (spare part) instead of the standalone ThinkPad USB/Bluetooth keyboards would considerably reduce the finished product’s thickness.

Here are step-by-step instructions for adding a USB interface to a laptop keyboard (including one with a pointing stick). I think this would be a good starting point.

2 Likes

 Not exactly, but I think it would make it a lot more detailed model a lot faster than I ever could. I haven’t delved into photogrammetry yet, but I’d like to. I’d like to 3D scan my chassis and then model around that scan. Right now, I’m just using some cheap Amazon calipers, so my measurements will at best only be ±0.5mm. Hopefully that’s good enough, but there might be tight spots where it becomes a problem.
 Reason being is that photogrammetry will give you a mesh model. It’s just the triangles that make up the shape, and probably an associated texture file. That’s fine for quite a lot of things, but if you’re building a model for the express purpose of making modifications, then having a model that’s built of smaller shapes with their own parameters is often going to be much more helpful.

5 Likes

DIY 3D scanners can give some impressive results. These are mostly raw scans using a raspberry pi. Open source with build instructions and kits.

2 Likes