CPU running at hot temps?

I believe that it’s rated for 100C, but someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

I have to ask, what distro are you using? I am running manjaro and I cannot find this program in the AUR and it’s not being installed with thermald, so I’m probably going to need to pull a package from Fedora or something and use it that way…

Fedora 34 Workstation (upgraded from Fedora 33). Seems like thermald was already installed, my current version is 2.4.6.

Looks like thermald-set-pref was installed with thermald (5th line in the result below):

mwu@framedora ~> rpm -ql thermald
/etc/thermald
/etc/thermald/thermal-cpu-cdev-order.xml
/run/thermald
/run/thermald/thermald.pid
/usr/bin/thermald-set-pref
/usr/lib/.build-id
/usr/lib/.build-id/27
/usr/lib/.build-id/27/b2475238a5e87ad270c2fb4bf021bf6fe31472
/usr/lib/systemd/system/thermald.service
/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/thermald.conf
/usr/sbin/thermald
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.thermald.service
/usr/share/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.thermald.conf
/usr/share/doc/thermald
/usr/share/doc/thermald/README.txt
/usr/share/doc/thermald/thermal_daemon_usage.txt
/usr/share/licenses/thermald
/usr/share/licenses/thermald/COPYING
/usr/share/man/man5/thermal-conf.xml.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/thermald.8.gz

@Michael_Wu thanks, I was able to pull the program from the RPM.

To do so, I did the following:

yay rpm-tools
rpmextract.sh ./nameofthermald.rpm
cp ./usr/bin/thermald-set-pref /usr/bin/thermald-set-pref

That then had it in the correct place, and I’m not entirely sure it’s fully working, but I’ll test some more and report back.

Edit: Specifying the max temp didn’t appear to be acknowledged, so I will try doing a reboot.

Edit 2: Doing a reboot seems to have gotten the settings to stick, but now it is thermal throttling when running s-tui with default settings, and slowing down to 2.5GHz and running at 65c as a result.

1 Like

Using the “Better battery” power plan, I can easily hit ~90-100C and 28W+ CPU package power (HWiNFO acctually says the max is ~102C/38W) for more than a few seconds during my last Aliens: Fireteam session. This is after I did a repaste using some Noctua NT-H2.

Here is what I have done to get a better noise vs power control:

Given the rather confusing way that the mobile CPUs handle thermal management, can anyone recommend some way to have an onscreen alert (possibly an audible one as well) if the CPU is doing thermal throttling? If it’s hitting the upper limits due to dust in the heat sink or the fan starts to go bad a few years down the road, I’d want to know about a cooling problem sooner rather than later. Having it trigger at a fixed temperature wouldn’t work here unless bad cooling would result in it rising above 100C when it otherwise wouldn’t with a clean heatsink and fully working fan.

I cannot find processor management in power settings like I can on my desktop. Both running win10 Pro. Can you tell me where you see that?
thanks
adn

You have to tweak the registry to get those inputs.:

1 Like

thanks, I will give it a try
dan

I had an issue (batch 3) with my CPU fan that resulted in the support team sending me a new CPU cooler. When I replaced the CPU cooler I re-pasted the cooler using the same paste footprint that came from the factory but replaced the paste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme that I had left from my desktop build. Not sure that would make any difference vs the OEM Shin-Etsu but under a full load stress test my CPU temps don’t push past 72C anymore. Before my fan was replaced it used to hit 100. When I pulled the faulty cooler unit off, the application was not uniform. I can maintain sustained loads reliably now and all though the fan ramps up, the temps never surpass that 72C mark.

1 Like

I have a batch 5 i5-1135G7. Just ran Furmark and Prime95 at full tilt for 15 minutes straight. Both GPU and CPU topped out at 67 degrees consuming a total of 50W per my calculations (GPU-Z isn’t entirely accurate on these integrated chips). That means the cooling solution is likely good for up to 65W going full blast. What’s probably happening is the fans ramp up slowly, allowing the CPU to go all the way up to 100 before they throttle back down because most workloads aren’t exactly like Furmark or Prime95 - they don’t just constantly blast every square millimeter of silicon with heavy-duty multithreaded workloads, even in 2021.

On windows you should be able to easily limit the CPU usage in Control Panel

1 Like

True, works on my old thinkpad x200, not sure if it’ll work with framework. But almost definitely will!

Thanks, this seems to work for me. Was hitting 100 at boot, now maxed at 91 running Cinebench.

Apparently I spoke too soon. I’ve had all 4 cores (1165G7) hit 100 in the past few minutes, while CPU utilization hasn’t exceeded 40%. The laptop has good airflow (it’s in a vertical stand) and ambient temp is ~21. What’s up with this?

You were hitting 100C at boot? Are you on the most current BIOS (3.07)? That seems really high. Are your fans going ballistic when you boot? What OS are you booting?

Yes to all of the above. I’m on Windows 11.

Just to be 100% clear, you are saying that when your framework is off (powered completely down and shut off), and you turn it on that the fans go ballistic and you are reaching temps of 100C?

If this is the case I would recommend you contact Framework support because this is not normal behavior.

2 Likes

What batch were you in? I recall a pump-out issue with thermal paste from early batches