DIY Staggered Columnar Laptop Keyboard (Semi Ortholinear) [Prototype]

Now that the ZSA Voyager has been released, I wonder if it’d be possible to make an input cover with compatible magnetic mounting points.

6 Likes

hmm so, giving you an ability to put the keyboard on top of the input cover?

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly! It appears to have some magnetic mounting points on the corners and is designed with portability in mind

1 Like

aye! is there a mechanical drawing for these? could print them out on paper and see how it could fit

2 Likes

This would be interesting to do with a Framework Laptop 16. It would be possible to make a Small Input Module that has pogo pads on it, and then the keyboard could just drop right on top.

12 Likes

Clearance would probably be your largest issue unless you plan on taking it off every time you shut the laptop.

1 Like

Just discovered Framework and am blown away by how much it changes the game. The sustainability/repairability and linux support alone are enough to make other brands feel uncompetitive, but just when I thought it couldn’t get any better… qmk on a laptop keyboard? Amazing.

That said, I’m really hoping alternative layouts gain traction. Massive spacebars are so wasteful.

While a full ortho would be ideal, if it’s any easier to just take a standard layout and split up the spacebar into as many keys as possible, that would get me 90% of the way towards what I want.

4 Likes

I understand that it’s a very niche market for an ortholinear laptop keyboard, but we’re also the bunch who’s willing to pay a hefty price for it. The average price of an ergo ortholinear keyboard is above $200 for sure. And I’m willing to pay $500 (excluding the keyboard itself) just to have it installed. If someone is willing to install an ortholinear keyboard (preferably 3x5_3), please kindly DM me. I’ll immediately buy a framework and a compatible keyboard.

I’m so sick of using the regular laptop keyboard. I curse every time I have to put the acrylic sheet and then my chocofi on top of the laptop keyboard and connecting it and all the shenanigans just to use a decent keyboard that doesn’t hurt my wrists.

Thanks guys!

5 Likes

The problem is that I don’t think any compatible keyboard exists. Someone could potentially create one, but the construction of laptop keyboards is challenging and expensive. In order to make them thin enough. And a lot of the most dedicated custom keyboard users seem to strongly prefer mechanical keyboards, to the point of feeling hatred for membrane laptop keyboards. So I think those two combined are the reason it doesn’t exist.

The Framework-16 I bet will overcome this though.

3 Likes

I’m curious, is there any news on this? It seems like it might be doable to mod the hinges to gain some extra space for the keyboard.

It’d be awesome to use an ergonomic keyboard inside this laptop!

2 Likes

Hello.

Thanks a lot for your interest.
I am personally more interested in an ergo keeb as plug in play as possible, without further modification to the FW13 beside the input cover.

As an alternative, I am looking into cutting a proper aluminium based for the keyboard like the original one, then build a custom membrane on top of it.

While I am at it, hello again @nrp .
I know you are probably quite busy handling the new models releases as well as the next points on FW’s roadmap, but I was wondering if there was any update regarding the individual key switch development, now that the FW16 is out?

Best regards to all.

5 Likes

Ah yeah I should’ve said that I’m talking about the FL16.
I’d also love a mostly plug and play keyboard for the FL16, but I’m wondering if it’d also be possible to create a detachable bluetooth keyboard. That’d be insanely cool for on the go, but I’m not sure if it’s possible. The batteries would probably fit easily on the sides, the harder problem is structural integrity and a nice mounting system. ZMK should be able to take care of the firmware and bluetooth part, so that’s nice.

1 Like

I’m curious if this is being pursued? I’m so used to my ergo dox that I just can’t do laptops any more, and I’m looking at the Voyager mentioned above.

3 Likes

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the interested.
Progress is slow, but I am still working on prototyping a better base layout for the keyboard using CNC.

6 Likes

If such a thing ever comes to pass I will teleport money into your wallet.

3 Likes

Not mine, but a cool related project here: The mikefive, a Kailh PG1316 keyboard

The height is unfortunately 5mm, 1.3 mm short of the maximum clearance that the FW13 allows, but great to see some lower switch profiles.

2 Likes

Those Kailh PG1316 switches look extremely similar to Cherry MX ULP 3.5mm switches. Once they are fully in production, I hope the Kailhs are easier to get than the Cherrys.

1 Like

I just picked up a Framework 16 for work and I’ve also been a ZSA Voyager user (Moonlander before that) since its release. I’d be over the moon for a new keyboard with an ortho layout, but I’m also not holding my breath for it (though I’d happily pay $500+ for one FYI). I would be ecstatic for JUST a flat layout that doesn’t have any keys and instead just has some magnets the Voyager can attach to. I don’t even need it to connect over pogo or anything fancy. Literally just a magnetic mount with no actual keys so I can keep the Voyager from slipping off while I move around. I’m fine with still needing a USB cable to connect with, I just want a fixed mount.

I’ve considered working out how to make a clamp of some kind with folding arms on a tripod ball mount. Then when I want to close the lid I can fold the arms up, put the lid down, and close the arms over the top of the lid. But I have absolutely no idea where I’d even begin with something like that. Anywho, love these ideas and I hope we get an ortho layout in the future!

1 Like

Also thought of this and beside design and building difficulties aside, I thought that it might be rough on the keyboard to keep it above the lid while putting it in my backpack.

Sharing the good news here too:

14 Likes