Dock Compatibility (AMD) - USB-C / Thunderbolt

I’ve massive problems playing videos in Firefox and Chrome on Windows 11 while the Framework 13 AMD is docked. Both browsers are crashing while playing videos on Youtube, Instagram and several other websites. Without the docks, I don’t experience this problems.

I’m using a Lenovo USB-C Dock Gen2 (40AS) and also a Lenovo Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock (40B0).
Always using the newest AMD drivers.

Does anyone else experience this problems?

Hello @Mathias

I have a similar dock USB-C Thinkpad Gen 2 I will test soon and let you know.

But the best to pinpoint issues is to have :

• Distro :
  • Kernel version :
  • Mesa drivers :
  • DE or WM (desktop Env/Windows Manager) Gnome or others
  • BIOS version
  • Where is the USB-C expansion card ? On the FW 13 laptop ? (Front or back ?)

Finally, the reproducer is just watching youtube on Firefox ? Are they any logs inside the dmesg ? Any errors about the freeze ?

Edit : Sorry you’re on Windows 11 :sweat_smile:, still will try to reproduce the issue on Linux.

Hi @dimitris did you open an issue on AMD GitLab about your issue ?

Yes, it’s here:

1 Like

@AkechiShiro I’m on Windows 11. I use the rear right USB-C connector most of the time, but also tried the other connectors. I’ve also used different cables.
The Browsers are not really crashing - on Firefox all Firefox windows are turning white. On Chrome the video is restarting. It seems as Firefox has problems on vp09 and avc1, Chrome only on vp09 (still investigating)

@Mathias this could be related to one of the active issues linked here : Active upstream AMDGPU issues affecting Ryzen 7840U (iGPU 780M) - #8 by paulos VP9 has been having issues :

But none were reported under Windows, they were seen under Linux.

The unusual power draw is for all codecs not just vp9.

For the freezing there is fixed vcn firmware available to test.

1 Like

Turned out I’m already on .20… so will have to wait until HP uploads a new version. But the dock does get detected correctly…

├─Thunderbolt Dock G4:
│ │   Device ID:          c90bc6d52574e4f116fce36550e58ed589c31eb0
│ │   Summary:            Dock Management Controller Device
│ │   Current version:    1.4.20.0
│ │   Vendor:             HP (USB:0x03F0)
│ │   Install Duration:   14 minutes
│ │   Serial Number:      
│ │   GUID:               3d044770-6074-5514-b094-3b7c5dbeb5fc ← USB\VID_03F0&PID_0488
│ │   Device Flags:       • Updatable
│ │                       • System requires external power source
│ │                       • Supported on remote server
│ │                       • Device stages updates
│ │                       • Device can recover flash failures
│ │                       • Signed Payload
│ │   Device Requests:    • Image
│ │                       • Image (custom)
1 Like

That’s awesome to see!

Hi, so I bought a Satechi Thunderbolt 4 Dock. The device is recognized by NixOS and a Fedora LiveCD image. An external monitor connected to it is detected, configured and active, but the monitor never detects the signal, just stays there in standby mode.

Curiously, the same dock, with a Lenovo P14s with AMD processor and just USB3 (no Thunderbolt), detects the monitor and is able to show an image.

Well, I’m still in time to return this Dock to Amazon for free, probably I will give it a try to one of the mentioned in this thread that works out of the box.

1 Like

@dimitris Did you ever solve your issue? I’m facing the exact same problem, but in my case with a Razer Thunderbolt 4 dock. It worked perfectly with the 11th Gen board and a M1 Pro Mac but both external displays are stuck at 640x480 on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04). Working flawlessly on Windows 11

No, still pending, Not much updated on the tracking issue upstream (see my previous post here). You might want to follow that and/or open one for your particular dock.

I suppose there will be some traction after the holidays etc as people get back online.

The fact that things work on Windows is good, means it’s not a “deep” firmware issue but more likely a Linux driver thing.

Hello everyone,
I also have a similar problem with a Kensington docking station model SD5560T.
Using the 13" Framework with AMD 7640U and any linux distribution (I’ve tried the latest Endeavour Galileo 11, Ubuntu LTS 22.04, and Fedora 39) it detects my monitor only when I connect it to the docking station’s dedicated usb-c port (via an HDMI > usb-c converter) and sets it to a resolution of 640x480 (despite being a 4k).
When I connect the HDMI cable directly to the docking station, it freezes everything connected to it.

Using windows 11 on the framework everything works perfectly, and everything also works perfectly using my work laptop (with Intel) with any linux distribution.

I have a Kensington SD5760T and it originally ran the monitors connected to the HDMI outputs only at 640x480, as well (AMD Framework, Arch Linux). No freezes, though.

I could get my monitors to run at full resolution by forcing the correct EDID of the monitors via kernel parameters (see Kernel mode setting - ArchWiki for a short outline). Actually, reading out the EDID of the monitors via get-edid was successfull even when the monitors were connected through the dock, but I did it via an HDMI expansion card directly on the Laptop.

Not the most satisfying solution, and this might cause problems when changing the monitors at the dock, but it works for now.

1 Like

Wonder if we should compile some sort of list for docks that are updateable within Linux/Windows here as well

1 Like

I’ve been using a framework 13 AMD with a SteamDeck Dock sucessfully for a few days now.

1 external screen at 2560x1440 144hz running great.

I did run into the charging issues described in other threads with the original steamdeck 45w powersupply. But I switched to the framework power supply (through the dock!) and it’s all working pretty good now.

Updating steamdeck dock: I go here once in a while and check the steamdeck dock firmware. you can download and update from command line. I updated a few times in the past and it fixed some oddities. Index of /archlinux-mirror/jupiter-main/os/x86_64/

1 Like

I have been using the SteamDock as well, but suffered from occasional issues with the 2 monitors coming back up properly after a while of screen-out time (no suspend/hibernate, just lockscreen and going black).
I tried 2 different SteamDocks, same issue.
I also had the same issue with the SteamDeck running Ubuntu, so most likely SteamDock issue.

Last week I switched to a HP USB-C G5 Dock, and so far it seems to work better.

Or modify the existing list to include model specific support/notes?

I can speak to the uni USB-C 8 in 1 Hub. It’s my daily driver and does what it says it can on the AMD FW13 running Fedora 39.

Do you use a USB extension cable with the Steam Deck Dock so as to not bend it in odd ways, or does it reach fine with the laptop on a short stand?

I do not use a usb extension.

I simply have the laptop to the side of the dock and the cable doing an inverse “U” from the dock to the laptop.

I do plan on trying with a short-ish extension soon when I move desk, to try and tidy things.

Note, I never use the laptop screen when using the dock. Just a single monitor by preference.