Dual boot using expansion card - issues to anticipate

Hi: I’m new to the community and and not 100% confident navigating the forum. Apologies if I’ve asked the same question as someone else. My Framework computer has been flawless. All I did was take the SSD out of my previous laptop and booted up. It helps that I run Linux Mint. It was so easy that the computer name is still HP-Laptop. I should change that.

I’m about to order some expansion cards from the Marketplace and I was wondering if I could install Windows on the expansion drive. I want to save on shipping so I’m going to order more cards than I need now. Anyhow, it seems from other posts that is indeed possible though one user is did the opposite of what I want. With my desktop, what I did was install Mint on one SSD and Windows on the other. I removed the Windows SSD when I installed Mint so I select Windows from the BIOS if I want it, otherwise it just boots Linux.

Could I do the same thing or similar like booking of the internal SSD if the expansion port ssd is not there and off the expansion port if it is?

Thanks, and I love this computer.

Jenn

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Yes.: ) The BIOS has the option for booting from USB first and then falling back to the SSD NVMe

1 Like

Thanks! That makes it as easy as I hoped. An order will be placed early next week

2 Likes

Please be careful with untested advice. Windows 11 refused to install on the expansion drive because it was a USB-connected drive. It’s an artificial limitiation, typical of Windows. Way to drive customers away, Redmond. I mean, who owns the device?

Now I’m stuck with a Windows licence and expansion drive that I can’t use. I’m not giving Windows space on the SSD for an occasional use.

Jenn

You can install Windows on removable drives, but it’s more complicated than just doing a standard installation.

See here for example: Guide: How to install Windows 10 onto storage expansion card

You seem to have misread maybe.

a) There was no advice as to what anyone should do.
b) It is a fact that Dual booting, the Topic issue can be done and that
c) The BIOS offers a choice to boot from the USB

Clearly I did not say that it would be a ‘good’ idea to do so, nor to try it with Windows.

However if you read up you will find people using the USB as a source for a Windows install, so that would appear to indicate it has bee tested and actually worked

No worries, it was my error. I felt misled because I was trying to do some research before making a purchase and mistook your thoughts for experience. Ultimately, I did not see that you didn’t answer the question that I asked. Like I said, it’s on me. I wanted easy and was impulsive.

With every iteration of Windows, I find it more and more unusable. I’m fine without it. I suppose that I can purchase an SSD and install it there.

1 Like

I had and still have Win 11 on the SSD and Ubuntu 24.04 on a 256GB card that worked well, until the 256GB card failed. The card was replaced many months ago but the card still drops out so I’m reticent to set it up with a new Ubuntu :frowning: