ECC - Error Correcting Code - Defaultly Supported Already (Ryzen/AMD)

Hi, based on the here

ECC support is only for normal DDR5 (FP7r2) not LPDDR5/x

The new Framework AMD laptop has two DDR5 SO-DIMM sockets, not LPDDR5.

So I am assuming ECC could be supported if Framework wanted to support it.

But since the company doesn’t mention ECC support anywhere, and is also not selling any configurations with ECC memory in the store, it’s best to assume that they didn’t want to support it and not to buy the new AMD laptop if you depend on ECC support.

8 Likes

Being hit again by faulty (and soldered-on…) memory in my current laptop, and royally pissed off at the loss of time and, possibly, data, I would be really, really happy to see a framework laptop with ECC support.

Really.

@nicknameNo.2.7182 FYI - This is very weird. I have saved the page from your link on the 17th of July. In... | Hacker News

1 Like

@John removing ECC support sounds really stupid of AMD. That is the main reason why I buy their HW.
In any case - Intel or AMD, ECC support is important to me.

2 Likes

@John I am not sure if you’ve seen in the other thread that AMD sneakily changed the product page for their CPUs between May and October:

It’s now stating: “ECC Support No”

The discussion is pretty much settled that AMD decided to not support ECC on the non-pro CPU models that Framework is using. ECC will not work on this year’s Framework laptops with AMD CPU.

2 Likes

That really sucks, product segmentation now that the market isn’t so bullish.

1 Like

It really does. Unfortunately AMD is not alone with that BS.

But I would like to stay pragmantic and urge frame.work to offer new Laptop 13/16 configurations with AMD Pro CPU and ECC RAM bundled or preinstalled from the factory. I would say the ball is in frame.work’s court now. If they are not offering a variant with ECC support that is their choice.

1 Like

Does anyone know if (lp)camm2 supports ECC ram?

I mean I would say that’s a distraction. I don’t want to wait for camm2 to maybe get ECC in a few years. I want ECC with the current available technology now. Frame.work could offer that with SO-DIMMs today.

But to answer your question:
yes, camm2 supports ECC RAM.

configurations can be:

• DDR x64 (x32, 2 subchannels) = Single Channel CAMM2
  • DDR x72 ECC (x36, 2 subchannels) = Single Channel CAMM2
  • DDR x128(x32, 4 subchannels) = Dual Channel CAMM2
  • DDR x144 ECC (x36, 4 subchannels) = Dual Channel CAMM2
  • LPDDR x128 (x16, 8 subchannels)

“A channel is 64-bit data interface with varying number of subchannels.
With ECC support, the channel becomes 72-bits wide”

source:
Standards & Documents Search | JEDEC (free sign in required)

2 Likes

So no lpddr and ecc, that kinda sucks. Especially since camm and lpcamm are apparently not intercangable.

1 Like

why do you care about lpcamm2 over camm2?

Cause lpddr is a lot better than regular ddr and is the major reason I am excited about camm

1 Like

It’s probably a tradeoff. Why do you think it’s “better” for your use case? Is that a theoretical advantage or is that something that is measurable today? Do you think it makes a difference for the laptop form factor?

I can tell you right now I don’t really care about a laptop tech that doesn’t support ECC. I am not gonna buy such a configuration.

It can be much faster (like 50+%) which has quite an impact especially for the igpu and uses less power doing so. Absolute win. Honestly I am not sure that’s worth giving up for the few people that are actually going to use ecc. Would love to get both though so that’s a bummer.

Form a strategical perspective it completely removes the current advantage to soldered ram (at least the customer facing ones, soldered ram is still cheaper for the manufacturer and gets users to upgrade the whole machine).