Enabling software longevity

Thank you for letting me know @Ekkehard_F and @lbohn . The translated versions should be updated soon.

Meanwhile, if you are not seeing the final version in your own language, please switch to English temporarily to download the BIOS update.

thank you!

3 Likes

Good catch renaming those Beta threads to release.
But also, please consult a developer on the problems with the 12th gen 3.08 “release”.

The 3.08.exe version has known problems (known by Kieran, that posted the fixed updater named “3.08b” in post #21. You only need to read the first 21 posts to understand that this bug is still in there. And in the meantime at least 4 other people have hit the same bug in the version you “released”. 3 of them since january in the beta thread. At least one on reddit from the release page).

And I also commented at length on typos, contradictory things in the release notes and the release page and that fix number 6. has been proven to not actually be fixed (that would be post #195, also mine) and very much needs to be a known issue, if you are not changing your mind to fully “unrelease” that update, because users not familiar with the 3.06 beta might be VERY surprised if the update silently crashes and the left side of USB-C ports ceases to function until you apply the workarounds Framework listed in the 3.06 beta thread for the same problem now over a year ago.

Edit:
I have been commenting that these things are broken, since April 9th, when Framework decided to release that update without carefully going through all of the beta feedback and apparently proper testing.
I have been answering this to Nirav’s “we are reading and taking all the feedback seriously” posts since yesterday. It is time, someone in the company notices that very embarrassing mistake just when you want to prove that you can release updates. It undermines you whole point. Take it seriously.

1 Like

Congratulations to the people in Poland!

This is an interesting case. Because I have never seen that Framework asked people for their localization of the keyboard to the Polish language on this forum. But Framework still started to support their products in Poland. The case is not like other countries that Framework is supporting.

2 Likes

I have somewhat mixed feelings reading this post. The mea culpa is appreciated, the changes outlined have a glimmer of hope in them, but words are easy to say. However, actual change via concrete actions count far far far more.

I’ve already said my piece over the in 11th Gen 3.19 thread about the lack of a UEFI shell update method (it’s been “coming soon” since last September), so I shan’t regurgitate that here.

I sincerely hope, for the sake of the users/buyers, the Framework community, and Framework the company, that the future actions of all those responsible for support, especially on critical security vulnerabilities, meet or exceed the words in this post. We’ll be watching, and grading your success with our future orders and recommendations to others, or not.

I have typen.

3 Likes

It’s nice to read that Framework anticipates that their firmware support/update process will improve, but I hope they realize that the update releases are one thing, but the delivery mechanisms are essential too!

For 11th gen, BIOS 3.19 is proudly listed as the latest release, but as Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™) shows it’s not quite done yet: “BIOS 3.19 EFI Shell update (coming soon)”. I hope they don’t forget that one in their task rotation schedule.

1 Like

@James_Rome and @Aaron_Baff , thanks for the suggestion! We have shared the release dates for BIOS and Driver Packages here and we will be updating the Knowledge Base Articles soon.

1 Like

You are able to download the whole bundle, then unzip the exe to access the separate driver updates. It’s still downloading all of them, but that does keep it simple for Framework to just upload one packaged file.

2 Likes

Has the download link for the 3.08 bios not been updated on the page yet?

the download page still links to what seems to the the beta version:
https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_12th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS__3.08b.msi

the bios posts elsewhere link to:
https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_12th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS__3.08.msi

The intel platform never had that specific set of problems.

Having an actual team for it is definitely a pretty good start, now we’ll have to wait and see what they actually do.

1 Like

Not a beta version (depending how you look at it). B is newer and includes a fix more in the installer. The update itself is identical.

One of the errors Framework made in rushing the 3.08 “release”. Because they first linked the older, buggier version, because it seems they did not actually look at the feedback since January. That is why I asked for an explanation of that above.

Googled “Frame Work Drivers”

Got to this site first clicked this link which led me to the download site.

EDIT: The problem is the setting to German. On the German site there is very old data :cowboy_hat_face:

Ah, supporting delivery to Poland is a dream come true, even though I have already ordered my Framework laptop 16 to the friend from Germany. I wonder if I could use Polish address in case of any problems/warranty issues later on?

1 Like

Yes, you can use your Polish address as warranty is transferrable between individuals and supported regions.

2 Likes

It should be updated, can you please check it again? (might not be up to date if you are not checking the English version, I believe we have not updated the translated versions yet)

1 Like

I read that post as the official release (knowledge-base) page saying “3.08”, but linking to an executable called 3.08b, while the forum thread for the release still links to the “3.08” (non-b) executable.
And that caused confusion. And leads to some people assuming the “b” is there for beta or sth.

So I think they already saw the current state that Framework intended. It is just somewhat chaotic for people that look a little bit deeper into it.

1 Like

Thanks for flagging, this is related to the speed at which the translations are propagating through, and we should see all the non-US variant pages populate with the proper versions within 24hrs. If not, please let me know!

4 Likes

Could we get a little clarification on what we’re talking about here? Is this improvements to the EFI updater, or do we still have some hope of a working LVFS update for the 12th gen?

This matters. There’s a standard way to deploy firmware updates on Linux computers now, and it’s LVFS. Everything else basically means you’re going to miss a lot of users who will not come here or in some dark corner of the knowledge base frantically reloading pages to see if, by chance, one year in the future, some BIOS upgrade will pop out.

If you’re lucky, they have automated upgrades configured in their distribution. If you’re luckier, they also have automated firmware upgrades. So there’s just no way this “new updater” will scale to an actual significant userbase, so this will hurt our users (and I say this as a Debian developer with years of experience, we sadly know a thing or two about hurting users).

Defaults matter.

2 Likes

I see that you have already found Pixelforest’s comment : 12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.08 Release - #338 by pixelforest

linking it here one more time for folks who might have missed it.

Have You ordered yours yet? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, I did it as fast as I could, batch 19 :smile:

1 Like