Exploring the Embedded Controller

I’m not sure whether “EndeavourOS” packages the ChromeOS EC drivers by default; you should be able to discover if it does by checking…

1. Is there a cros_ec_lpcs.ko under /lib/modules?
    • `find /lib/modules -name ‘cros_ec*’
  2. Is /dev/cros_ec present?
    • ls -l /dev/cros_ec
  3. Are the modules throwing any errors?
    • dmesg | grep cros

LEDs

Unfortunately, yes - both of these things have changed with the AMD framework laptops.

The power LED no longer supports anything but white; it was updated for compatibility with the chromebook edition which only supported white.

I suspect they wanted to keep documentation between the models similar.

The side LEDs are treated as one entity, “charge” or “battery”, in the AMD boards and probably any newer boards as well.

Battery

You can issue a battery disconnect manually with ectool batterycutoff.

The machine is not intended to be used with the battery shut down. Do this only for experimentation.

In addition to what @pierce said (thank you!), I wrote up a quick gist explaining how to take a clean Debian install (I used a container, but you can use bare metal or whatever) to a Zephyr build environment. It’s actually terrible.

That gist is here.

If you are trying to build for the Framework Laptop 16 AMD, use lotus anywhere you see the name azalea.

3 Likes

On a FW16 I have:
lsmod |grep cros
cros_ec_lpcs 20480 0
cros_ec 20480 1 cros_ec_lpcs

/dev/cros_ec is not present.
dmesg | grep cros
[ 21.416956] cros_ec_lpcs cros_ec_lpcs.0: EC ID not detected

My guess is the ACPI config is not set up correctly.

For the AMD Framework Laptops, you need to be on kernel 6.11 or greater, or apply the kernel patch here: [PATCH v3 0/4] platform/chrome: cros_ec_lpc: add support for AMD Framework Laptops - Dustin L. Howett

@DHowett
Thank you, that works, I now have the /dev/cros_ec device and ectool uses it.

Thanks - that worked fine!
Surprisingly I did need to explicitly add contrib to my repository - perhaps that is no longer default on Debian bookworm.

Now perhaps I can debug some of these black screen crashes.

Tricky - linux mainline master is 6.10-rc7 - https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Makefile

I’m getting this error on FW 13 Intel 13th gen, is there any way to fix this? I couldn’t figure it out… Just FYI I’m on BIOS 3.05 (recently released)

❯ sudo ectool chargecontrol
ERROR: Old EC doesn't support GET.

Usage: chargecontrol
    Get current settings.
  Usage: chargecontrol normal|idle|discharge
    Set charge mode (and disable battery sustainer).
  Usage: chargecontrol normal <lower> <upper>
    Enable battery sustainer. <lower> and <upper> are battery SoC
    between which EC tries to keep the battery level.

❯ sudo ectool chargecontrol normal 20 80
ERROR: Old EC doesn't support sustainer.

Usage: chargecontrol
    Get current settings.
  Usage: chargecontrol normal|idle|discharge
    Set charge mode (and disable battery sustainer).
  Usage: chargecontrol normal <lower> <upper>
    Enable battery sustainer. <lower> and <upper> are battery SoC
    between which EC tries to keep the battery level.

I may be mistaken, but I think those commands are only functional on the AMD platform’s EC, which uses a new architecture.

1 Like

I just built mainline v6.10 and Dustin’s patches are already present -

commit c8f460d991df
Author: Dustin L. Howett <dustin@howett.net>
Date:   Tue Apr 2 19:47:13 2024 -0500

platform/chrome: cros_ec_lpc: add quirks for the Framework Laptop (AMD)

The original Framework Laptop 13 platform (Intel 11th, 12th, and 13th
    Generation at this time) uses a Microchip embedded controller in a
    standard configuration.

The newer devices in this product line--Framework Laptop 13 and 16 (AMD
    Ryzen)--use a NPCX embedded controller. However, they deviate from the
    configuration of ChromeOS platforms built with the NPCX EC.

* The MMIO region for EC memory begins at port 0xE00 rather than the
      expected 0x900.

cros_ec_lpc's quirks system is used to address this issue.

Signed-off-by: Dustin L. Howett <dustin@howett.net>
    Reviewed-by: Thomas Weißschuh <linux@weissschuh.net>
    Tested-by: Thomas Weißschuh <linux@weissschuh.net>
    Tested-by: Mario Limonciello <superm1@gmail.com>
    Link: https://lore.kernel.org/r/20240403004713.130365-5-dustin@howett.net
    Signed-off-by: Tzung-Bi Shih <tzungbi@kernel.org>

M       drivers/platform/chrome/cros_ec_lpc.c
  • My FW 16 hibernates and recovers ok with power cable plugged in

• But if I then unplug the power and use zoom-client (a snap in debian bookworm) to connect to a meeting it freezes for a about 3-5s then goes black screen and after a while reboots. Strangely the ectool console shows no sign of the reboot that I can see - https://paste.debian.net/1323605/

1 Like

I didn’t realize it had made it into 6.10. Thanks!

1 Like

@DHowett I could not find anything about the ectool. How would I install it?

You need to build it from the source code. [later: I was mistaken. Binaries are available. See @deLemere’s post under this one.] There are links to Dustin’s ectool web pages (for crude instructions) and his git repo in this thread. I’ve not actually built it myself (although I understand the process).

I’ve been following this thread for a couple of years. The tool’s capability, build process and compatibility gotchas are explored in a lot of detail. If you’re thinking of building it yourself, grab a beverage and start reading from the first post.

If you summarise your system (FW model, distro and kernel version) someone who’s built it for a similar system might be willing to help you avoid any of the bumps they found in the road.

Dino

edit: corrected a misunderstanding for future readers.

3 Likes

You can download here:

2 Likes

I apologize if this is already answered in this thread. I tried searching for “flash RW” or “write RW” and came up empty handed. I’d like to build a new version of the lotus EC and write it to my RW slot. My primary interest is fixing the bug where the CPU gets stuck throttled at low MHz after being plugged in and waking. Unfortunately, with the console commands disabled and the read to memmap only taking a single byte means I can’t get a read out of EC_MEMMAP_POWER_SLIDE (0x151). Same issue with enabling safety_pwr_logging since that requires a console command. I figure a custom build can log the right data for my debugging and allow me to hopefully figure out where the bug is that is getting me stuck in a throttled state (or at least allow me to send a command to unstick things).

Is there good documentation as to how to build a local branch and flash it to RW (plus how to get back when it inevitably goes wrong :slight_smile: ).

Btw, for anyone wanting to use Github search to find things, I forked the Framework/EmbeddedController repo and made a branch with the current lotus EC code as the default branch. That makes it so searching the repo in Github searches that branch instead of the hx20-hx30 branch. I made a new branch instead of using the lotus-zephyr because I didn’t realize that was already at the correct commit