Fedora 34 on the Framework Laptop

Thanks for the tip @Kieran_Levin. After disabling mouse emulation in BIOS, I haven’t had the touchpad freeze on resume anymore (at least not yet after a handful of suspend/resume cycles!)

@jches Did you install using the Respin image as suggested in the initial post, or did you start with standard F34?

I started from the standard F34 workstation edition (I hadn’t seen this post or the respin suggestion until afterwards).

Standard F34 installed a 5.11 kernel, and wifi did not work at first. Luckily I had a USB wifi adapter that did work and I was able to update using that. It sounds like a respin image would be a better starting point as you get the updated kernel from the start :smiley:

2 Likes

I am using the normal Fedora 34 on another laptop, Lenovo. If you can connect internet on the normal Fedora 34, you can install or upgrade libfprint by dnf install libfprint or dnf upgrade libfprint.

Here is the log on the laptop.

$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 34 (Thirty Four)

$ rpm -q libfprint
libfprint-1.90.7-2.fc34.x86_64

$ sudo dnf upgrade libfprint
Last metadata expiration check: 0:02:01 ago on Thu 29 Jul 2021 06:00:22 PM CEST.
Dependencies resolved.
========================================================================================================
 Package                 Architecture         Version                       Repository             Size
========================================================================================================
Upgrading:
 libfprint               x86_64               1.90.7-3.fc34                 updates               251 k

Transaction Summary
Upgrade  1 Package

Total download size: 251 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34.x86_64.rpm                                      1.9 MB/s | 251 kB     00:00    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                   326 kB/s | 251 kB     00:00     
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                1/1 
  Upgrading        : libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34.x86_64                                                 1/2 
  Cleanup          : libfprint-1.90.7-2.fc34.x86_64                                                 2/2 
  Running scriptlet: libfprint-1.90.7-2.fc34.x86_64                                                 2/2 
  Verifying        : libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34.x86_64                                                 1/2 
  Verifying        : libfprint-1.90.7-2.fc34.x86_64                                                 2/2 

Upgraded:
  libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34.x86_64                                                                        

Complete!

$ rpm -q libfprint
libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34.x86_64
1 Like

@jches thanks for the update, we will add this to the wiki

1 Like

Been playing around with Fedora 34 (kernel 5.13.5) this afternoon. I noticed a frequent cursor lag (mouse freeze). It happens every couple of minutes or so. This only happens under Wayland, and not X.org.

After some research, it appears that you can fix this by adding “i915.enable_psr=0” to the kernel parameter. After this change, the weird freeze went away for me.

Alternatively, you can also fallback onto X.org.

Some references:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=268244

4 Likes

@Alan_Ning I just opened up the kernel parameter document and typed in the command you specified, and nothing has changed. I’m honestly not too sure what I am supposed to do next, I’ve seen an article talk about having to restart clr-boot-manager by typing, in “sudo clr-boot-manager update”, but this did nothing. What am I supposed to do after I edited the parameter?

For reference, the document I opened was “sudo vim /etc/kernel/cmdline”

@Jerry have you rebooted yet?

@Jerry
The easier way to change kernel parameter is to just use grub-customizer (dnf install grub-customizer). Once you install it, you can modify the kernel parameter at the General Settings tab. Hit Save and reboot, and you should be good to go.

… Alan

@Alan_Ning Thank you, I just installed and restarted and I hope it will change something.
Do you know if this issue also caused a bunch of v-sync errors when updating the display?

@Jerry. That, I don’t know. This is day 2, and I am still testing the laptop. I wonder if we should all pool in our experience in a wiki page or something (like the arch wiki, but for Fedora).

1 Like

I think for the greater good of the laptop and the future fedora users, it would be a great idea. Maybe we can even resolve issues or get some we have known out there that aren’t just happening to framework users. It’s only day 2 for me as well.

UPDATE: After installing grub-customizer and inserting the “i915.enable_psr=0” into the general settings and rebooting, my vertical sync issue (which was apparent all throughout the screen whenever my display updated) as well as my computer freezing has hence ceased.

Just a note that the first post on this thread is actually a wiki post, so you can add updated fixes there.

3 Likes

@Michael_Lingelbach Thanks for the great review. Seeing your comment Community reviews - #9 by Michael_Lingelbach , didn’t the libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34 work on normal Fedora 34 on your Framework Laptop?

Here is the related Bugzilla ticket: 1985720 – f34: libfprint to upgrade to 1.92.0 or newer . It says the current Fedora 34 latest libfprint RPM libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34 works on Framework Laptop.

The fingerprint reader worked when using libfprintd (I was able to enroll and verify), I’m not sure what was backported to 1.90.x, but I was providing instructions for installing 1.9.2 based off npr’s comment about idle power draw (I had noticed the fingerprint reader getting hot on 1.90.7). Still troubleshooting SDDM login, but that’s not a framework or driver issue :slight_smile:

Okay. I assume you tested it with libfprint-1.90.7-3.fc34, not with libfprint-1.90.7-2.fc34. I updated this thread’s first comment having wiki feature, by adding your instructions link for installing libfprint 1.92.

I’m having trouble updating the original post, I assume due to some issues with the discourse instance. I’ll try to update later, but this worked for “fixing” the input freezing (thanks Alan), no idea if this will impact battery life as PSR is supposedly an efficiency thing.

• Input lag/freezing under wayland
    There is an issue with Intel’s panel self refresh that causes input lag/freezing under Wayland. If you experience this, you can disable PSR in the kernel by modifying the GRUB entry as follows:
    sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="i915.enable_psr=0" 

Ensure you reboot your system afterwards.
3 Likes

Has anyone tried the microphone? My mic is only picking up internal noise (it’s on, I checked) and is not usable for voice. I’m assuming a pipewire issue.

@Michael_Lingelbach I’ve used my microphone for a couple of days and it’s been perfectly fine for me out of the box installation of fedora 34, sounds just like what you would expect. Although if I am to play a video during a call or a song, it is audible through the microphone as well as my voice, which is expected with any device