[Resolved] [Fedora 35 GNOME Xorg] Wake from Sleep with NVIDIA eGPU?

Hi everyone,

I’ve given up on my previous post of per-monitor scaling for a variety of reasons and resorted to only using the eGPU monitor, but I have one final problem to solve before my setup is viable.

When resuming the laptop from suspend (power button, suspend menu item), both screens will stay black and ignore my input. Are there any known fixes for this? This would happen maybe 10% of the time on mint xfce, but is guaranteed on Fedora GNOME/X11 (with GNOME/wayland, my egpu screen is permanently black). I have set up Nvidia suspend according to this forum post, but the problem remains.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I found a forum post with my exact log (no entries after PM-suspend), and it’s leading me to believe there’s an issue with reconnecting to the NVIDIA audio device on wake up. For some reason, both udev rules and pci-stub kernel parameters aren’t blocking this device, so I can’t try the fix.

A very strange out-of-nowhere fix, with suspend now working as desired:
fresh install of fedora 37, 6.10 kernel, same hardware, xorg. Both screens are working with this as well! (I find 1400x900 on the laptop monitor next to my 1080p main display looks quite nice)

nvidia drivers and egpu-switcher installed (interestingly: it says my graphics card is an MSI external audio device during egpu-switcher setup now, as opposed to a GTX1650S like it used to in older versions of the program)
the NVreg temp directory module parameter set and new initramfs generated with dracut

Before the fix, suspending would immediately wake
disabling TDM1 in /proc/acpi/wakeup will allow me to suspend with software trigger or the laptop power button. Wake is also possible with power button or keyboard.

Hopefully this helps someone! if TDM1 doesn’t work, sudo sh -c "echo devicename > /proc/acpi/wakeup" for all enabled devices in your wakeup file, test suspend after each one until you find the right one (heads up, PWRB is the power button, don’t disable that one).

1 Like

Really appreciate you sharing your findings on this! :slight_smile:

Marked as resolved.