Fedora 35 - Not Charging 99%

Hello Everyone,

I have finally gotten around to testing Fedora 35 and am running into something I also saw on Manjaro. Both using Gnome as the DE.

I can plug the laptop in and the battery symbol will go green and it will say charging. However once it fully charges it switches to saying “Not Charging” 99%. It should be switching to “Fully Charged”.

The problem is that I have it setup to only suspend while on battery power. There should be no issue because when it fully charges it will still know it’s plugged in. However since it is going to “Not Charging” 99% it keeps suspending thinking it isn’t plugged in.

Here is the output of upower for my battery. I’ve had it… 2 months now maybe? I was in batch 2 but got it right at the end at the start of batch 3.

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
  native-path:          BAT1
  vendor:               NVT
  model:                Framewo
  serial:               00B5
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Wed 17 Nov 2021 02:53:14 PM EST (84 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               pending-charge
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              54.6392 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         54.67 Wh
    energy-full-design:  55.0088 Wh
    energy-rate:         1.2012 W
    voltage:             17.526 V
    percentage:          99%
    capacity:            97.8723%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-full-charging-symbolic'

Couple’o things:

Consider the possible answers here: 18.04 - My laptop battery never charges to 100% and it stays on 99 - Ask Ubuntu (yes the answers are a pain in the ass but I’ve yet to see a guide that points out how to force the recalibration with a live system)

And have you tested charging from all possible ports when at 99% and seen if any one of them pushes you up to 100%?

You mentioned here: Laptop loses charge despite being plugged into stock USB-PD adapter while powered on - #5 by nomb85

… that the charge percentage is inconsistent across plugging in and unplugging cycles. The next time you plug in, check the Watt-hours reported on the battery (energy, energy-full, and energy-full-design). Then the next time you go from seeing a shiny 100% to a 99%, do it again. Then when you go back to 100%, do it again. Record everything.

If the energy-full is going down, that’s degradation being caught up to by the OS (I think). If the energy is dancing around and energy-full is staying still, then something weird is going on. If energy-full is dancing around, then something really weird is going on.

Disclaimer: not an expert just guessing.

My Batch 5 DIY i5 will do the same thing, 99% not charging, when I use an external battery pack (imuto smart power x4g) and the lid is closed. When I start using the Laptop it will go to 100% charged. I have not noticed the same thing on AC power.

EDIT: I double checked and AC power also does the 99%.