[Fedora 38 thread] Fedora 38 on the Framework Laptop

Working flawlessly for me :slight_smile:

External HDMI displays stopped working for me after upgrading. I’ve tried Framework’s adapters and an Amazon HDMI USB-C adapter. Nothing showing up in dmesg. Nothing within Gnome to indicate it recognizes any displays. I have the i5-1240P model. I can’t find anything online about external display issues with fedora 38 so still wracking be head to see if maybe I messed with some configuration near the upgrade.

I use Fedora 38 with HDMI expansion card to direct connect to HDMI on the display, braided Amazon cable - no issues, no adapters - just braided cable. But I also did a clean installation.

Might be worth testing a Live USB to see if you get the same result.

My framework 12th gen works great on fedora 38 with one small caveat. And honestly it also had this issue in fedora 37.

Rebooting hangs.

So what happens is I initiate reboot
The desktop logs out and shuts down but not all the way. The screen stays lit but black and the power light is on.
The laptop will stay in this state indefinitely
I tap the power button and it will shut off immediately
I tap the power button again and it turns on normally

Do you guys know how to fix this? It’s one of my few remaining issues

What do you see in the logs? My best guess is that something is preventing the full shutdown (thanks, lbkNhubert, Captain Obvious). Hopefully the logs can help to point you to what is going on. The community here is great, it’s likely that someone can help or can point you in the right direction.

You can use this to list your boots:

journalctl --list-boots

Then once you find the time stamp for the boot that looks right, check it out. Say, I wanted a boot for Tues the 11th of April and for me it’s boot -12, I’d do the following:

journalctl -b -12

This is easier if you know about what time something happened. So you could set it up to happen again, then once you’ve forced rebooted:

journalctl --since "10 minutes ago"

or whatever time best matches.

Historically, I look to what is attached to my laptop. Docks, displays, keyboards, etc. If you have anything attached, try detaching it and seeing if it continues.

I just updated and I swear I’m hearing coil whine for the first time. Am I crazy or is this possible? I have the i7-1260p.

Edit: just rebooted into the previous kernel and the whine stayed for a few minutes then faded away. I was also getting some scrolling freezing in multiple programs, so I might just stick with 37 for a little while.

coil whine

Could it just be the fan? I know when I upgraded from Fedora 36 to 37, there was some kind of media indexing going on after startup. I noticed the indexing processes had “miner” in their name (tracker-miner-fs-3) which troubled me, so after looking around I disabled that indexing. Just a thought.

Tracker received major updates so yes it reindexed the drive after the upgrade. Took maybe 10 minutes. I certainly would not disable it unless you like having crippled search functionality on the laptop.

2 Likes

Certainly possible, though I tried some CPU heavy stuff to get the fan to spin up and it sounded different to me. I also messed around with the power mode and didn’t notice a difference, though it wasn’t a steady frequency, it kind of cut in and out.

I booted up this morning into 38 and I’m not hearing it anymore, so I’m guessing it’s a coincidence, or related to the heat wave we have going on right now.

I think you’re going to be okay. The moment we diverge from a standard install (custom tweaking), there is an increased potential for surprises as with any OS.

grep still seems to work fine.

1 Like

Grep always works fine, but if you are going to run Fedora 38 with the default DE i.e. Gnome the search functionality outside of the terminal uses tracker.

This is how I would respond. Disabling it is unneeded.

1 Like

Recent kernel updates include something called “IBT support,” and these releases do not boot on my laptop. It seems this might be related to the 12th gen intel CPU or GPU. I can only solve this by booting an older kernel or disabling IBT after each update. Is this just me? I do have a bit of a non-standard setup. I am dual-booted with Windows 11, and my Fedora partition is encrypted.

1 Like

Thanks @Adonnen for the heads up. @Loell_Framework if you can test this on your 12th gen with Fedora 38, fully updated - then try booting and seeing if you have similar issues.

If you do see boot issues, please pass ibt=off as a grub parameter to see if this gets you booted and then if it works, make it stick with this after booted up and logged in:

sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="ibt=off"

Reboot and see if it still works.

@Adonnen Just tried this on my Framework 12th gen, kernel 6.3.6 on Fedora 38 - booted right up. No issues found here. What kernel and Fedora release are you using?

1 Like

I am on Fedora 38.
The problematic kernels on my system are:
6.3.4-201.fc38.x86_64
6.3.5-200.fc38.x86_64

No problems here. You indicated that this is happening on a dual-boot. Now a Windows user myself, but that is the only difference I see.

• Did sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=“ibt=off” help?
  • Do you see this issue booting to a live USB of Fedora 38 at all?

Same here on 11th gen. I’ll be able to help out more in this thread with testing when I receive my Zen 4 board as a replacement.

1 Like